Anyone lust after sounds that you really don't need?

• Members

I've been listening to a lot of smashing pumpkins lately, and it's making me want a micro synth and other weird octave fuzzes, and stuff that I will not need for making real music. I really don't have a strong desire to write songs that sound like that, I just want a ton of cool gear, just because it sounds cool.

Sometimes I really want that Eric Johnson tone too, even though, once again, I don't play remotely like that.

Same goes for ZZ Top.

Anyone else experience this?

• Members

I've been listening to a lot of smashing pumpkins lately, and it's making me want a micro synth and other weird octave fuzzes, and stuff that I will not need for making real music. I really don't have a strong desire to write songs that sound like that, I just want a ton of cool gear, just because it sounds cool.

Sometimes I really want that Eric Johnson tone too, even though, once again, I don't play remotely like that.

Same goes for ZZ Top.

Anyone else experience this?

I think if you're playing the type of music that doesn't call for weird octave fuzzes, yet you use one anyway, that makes you super cool.

• Members

Yup. I've been obsessed with Leslie rotary sounds even though I don't need them. I had never even heard of SRV "Cold Shot," until I started researching leslie sim pedals. :lol:

Still think it sounds cool as hell. One of my local guitar shops now has a Leslie 125 speaker cabinet for $300!! Very tempting....

• Members
Yup. I've been obsessed with Leslie rotary sounds even though I don't need them. I had never even heard of SRV "Cold Shot," until I started researching leslie sim pedals.
:lol:

Still think it sounds cool as hell. One of my local guitar shops now has a Leslie 125 speaker cabinet for $300!! Very tempting....

I iwsh i wouldn't have watched the Boss RT-20 demo the one guy did with the DD-20. I haven't used vibe in years, but hmmm, it sounds sooooo good

Also i've always wanted a murf, but how many things can you really use it for, live anyway

• Members

This is one area that multi effects are perfect for. I don't want a tremolo, a vibe, a flanger, rotary sim or a number of other effects in single pedal format because they will get used once every blue moon and aren't worth the real estate. But I know I have the effects there (if ever required) in the G-Force or Eclipse - which were both bought for other purposes.

• Members

When I try to explain effects to non-musicians or other people, I usually compare them to the colors and tools an artist (painter) has at their disposal. Each effect adds its own color or flavor to my sound or even a different texture.

Some effects are incredibly useful for the type of music I play while others would be fun to use but wouldn't fit what I try to paint sonically. I would love to get a vibe pedal or a ring mod for the last spot on my board but I know in my head that I would make much better use out of a reverb.

• Members

Definitely. I want access to the whole pallette, even though I might only really use 3 colors most of the time. But every so often, a splash of something radical is exactly what is needed to complement the song with some perspective, contrast, or resonance.

It's pretty sad, though, that I will spend $200+ to own a pedal that I might only use in one song. :freak:

• Members
I iwsh i wouldn't have watched the Boss RT-20 demo the one guy did with the DD-20. I haven't used vibe in years, but hmmm, it sounds sooooo good

Also i've always wanted a murf, but how many things can you really use it for, live anyway

The RT-20 is one of the things that has tempted me the most lately! I bet it would sound so tasty between my stereo chorus and my RE-20 :love:

I really, really, really don't need it though. Half the time I get to play with an Organist who has 4 leslies, and often uses 2 at a time. We don't need that much swirl going on!

• Members
The RT-20 is one of the things that has tempted me the most lately! I bet it would sound so tasty between my stereo chorus and my RE-20
:love:

I really, really, really don't need it though. Half the time I get to play with an Organist who has 4 leslies, and often uses 2 at a time. We don't need
that
much swirl going on!

Why not just tell your audience to spin in circles and not worry about a leslie at all? :thu:

• Members

Basically every pedal I want to buy is unnecessary. The band I play in is straight forward thrash punk. But I really want a new delay, I feel an overwhelming desire to get some fuzz (I feel incomplete without one even though I wouldn't use it for the band), and the list goes on.

• Members

Basically every pedal I want to buy is unnecessary. The band I play in is straight forward thrash punk. But I really want a new delay, I feel an overwhelming desire to get some fuzz (I feel incomplete without one even though I wouldn't use it for the band), and the list goes on.

Oh man. They got you too?

• Members

i wish i could justify getting a microsynth for thos billyc organ lead sounds, but there's no way in hell i can play those solo's. i'm far more linear and reverb/delay-drenched for one to be useful in that situation.

• Members

I wouldn't mind a fuzz factory or a few other zvex pedals, but I don't have the $$ for them, and the clones aren't much cheaper than the vexters. Plus I play in a church praise band, just not a lot of use for crazy fuzz sounds.

Yeah man, I'm in the same boat you are. I think sometimes I get away with it; I play youth services on wednesday nights, and I think I could bust out a FF on a couple hillsong/united songs. But yeah, sunday morning is all about the tasty overdrive.

Archived