Anyone with a Sunsyn? Help

stikygum

• Members

I was trying to calibrate the envelopes and couldn't. I know how to do it. Enter the cal. page and hit a key, then you're supposed t o change the value close to 100. The problem is, when I turn my soft controller knobs, they don't do anything and the value stays the same.

Also, I can't find a good patch bank dumper/loader tool. I'm on a Macbook (intel) and the one on the Jomox website isn't working for me. Any help?

What's weird is that I was able to download the latest OS 1.22 last fall with Sysex Librarian. I wonder if it could be some setting that I changed on my Mac that won't allow the Librarian to work properly?

• Members

I was trying to calibrate the envelopes and couldn't. I know how to do it. Enter the cal. page and hit a key, then you're supposed t o change the value close to 100. The problem is, when I turn my soft controller knobs, they don't do anything and the value stays the same.

Also, I can't find a good patch bank dumper/loader tool. I'm on a Macbook (intel) and the one on the Jomox website isn't working for me. Any help?

What's weird is that I was able to download the latest OS 1.22 last fall with Sysex Librarian. I wonder if it could be some setting that I changed on my Mac that won't allow the Librarian to work properly?

hah - I just traded my sunsyn for an omega 8...so I don't have it, but are you sure you're following the instructions exactly? It worked for me - strangely the second voice was difficult, but the others worked very well. If it doesn't work at all for you, but your sunsyn is functional, maybe you're missing a step? I've also always had success with sysex librarian (on a pre-intel mac) - but you say that it worked for you previously? What is the problem now? Have your preferences changed? (pause between messages, etc?)

In case you don't have this, here is the calibration procedure:

Warm up the SunSyn for at least half an hour. Make sure that all VCOs are tuned before you start the envelope tuning!

Press Menu -> Global -> Tune. Select "Env" so that it reads "Att1 Decay1 Sust1 Voice". Entering this submenu loads a special preset into the edit buffer (the underlying single patch will not be affected). Don't tweak the ADSR1 knobs because this would change the basic parameters - best is to leave them at zero position before you enter the submenu. Exiting and re-entering this submenu will reload the test patch.

Press the button underneath "Voice". This selects the voice to be calibrated. You have to press it once before the actual tuning procedure is entered. It doesn't matter which key you press on the keyboard. When you press a key, an up- and down sweeping tone can be heard. At the peak points the time is measured in 10ms steps and displayed in the attack- and decay value. The correct value is 100 = 1000ms =1sec rise and fall time. If the value is too low, turn the respective encoder knob right to increase the value, left to decrease the value. You have to turn quite a lot since the resolution is fine. After the change of the value, trigger the envelope again to see the result. Repeat it until you get the desired value (100). Do it with the attack and the decay value to obtain almost 100 for each value. Due to the analog tolerances the value may differ from about 95 to 100.

Do this with every voice. If you are finished with the attacks and decays, turn the decay value low at the actual ADSR1 knob up right on the panel.

With the short envelope, select the voice with the highest basic tone (frequency) at sustain level 0. This will be you reference for the others. Remember the tone. Turn the respective encoder knob (3) right to increase the zero sustain level for the other selected voices. Match all voices for the same basic tone. If you have done this, you are finished. Press exit twice to leave the calibration menu.

• Members

"If the value is too low, turn the respective encoder knob right to increase the value, left to decrease the value. You have to turn quite a lot since the resolution is fine."

This is the part that doesn't work, if I turn the knobs (soft-controllers) they don't work/change values in this sub-menu (but they work in editing regular patches).

What was difficult about your 2nd voice tuning?

"Have your preferences changed? (pause between messages, etc?)" - What preferences, my Macbook preferences? I think I changed my Virtual Memory once, but I changed it back. I wish I could do a clean install on my Macbook, but I don't want to lose any data I forget to save.

The Sysex Librarian seems to kind of work when I recieve, but not really. For that, the record button will work, the thing is if I press the BDump on the Sunsyn it starts and then I press the 'record' button on the Librarian and then it seems to work or recieve something. I get a file that I can name and save, but I can't test it out to see if it actually has midi info. But when I click on that file recieved from the Sunsyn I get a message saying 'it's not a Quicktime movie file'. Everytime I click a '.mid' file, my Quicktime opens. I don't know how to change it. Do you know how to change preferences on a Mac so I could make Sysex Librarian the default?

• Members

"If the value is too low, turn the respective encoder knob right to increase the value, left to decrease the value. You have to turn quite a lot since the resolution is fine."

This is the part that doesn't work, if I turn the knobs (soft-controllers) they don't work/change values in this sub-menu (but they work in editing regular patches).

What was difficult about your 2nd voice tuning?

"Have your preferences changed? (pause between messages, etc?)" - What preferences, my Macbook preferences? I think I changed my Virtual Memory once, but I changed it back. I wish I could do a clean install on my Macbook, but I don't want to lose any data I forget to save.

The Sysex Librarian seems to kind of work when I recieve, but not really. For that, the record button will work, the thing is if I press the BDump on the Sunsyn it starts and then I press the 'record' button on the Librarian and then it seems to work or recieve something. I get a file that I can name and save, but I can't test it out to see if it actually has midi info.
But when I click on that file recieved from the Sunsyn I get a message saying 'it's not a Quicktime movie file'. Everytime I click a '.mid' file, my Quicktime opens. I don't know how to change it. Do you know how to change preferences on a Mac so I could make Sysex Librarian the default?

The fact that the Sunsyn works, and the knobs work, is what made me wonder whether you were perhaps in the wrong place and hadn't followed the instructions precisely. If I still had my Sunsyn, I could walk through it with you. All I can suggest is to email the yahoo group.

As far as sysex librarian, I was referring to its own preferences. It is ub, so it should work. I've always found it to be reliable. Do you have a sequencer that loads sysex? Is that successful? Could the problem be with the midi interface?

As far as how to get a .mid file in there, I just drag it in usually. To change the association in os x, so that when you double click it, it will open sysex librarian...right click on a .mid file and there should be a choice to 'open with'. Select 'other' and you can choose sysex librarian. I think that this should work.

• Members

Hey!

The Omega-8 looks like a beast at $4.5k. Tell us how it sounds.

Mark

Well, I did a straight trade....somewhat for strategic reasons...one of the reasons was that with a multimode that works the way I want it to, I can multitrack more than 1 mono or dual note passages from a step sequencer. Yeah - the Sunsyn has minimal multitimbral functionality, however (like the pek) you cannot save individual patches from multimode, and in fact, only the knobs and not the menus for individual sounds are available in multimode - so you can't change many of the parameters. I had been thinking about whether an Omega or Code might give me more value, and then someone posted to ah looking for a straight up trade. I did it somewhat impulsively...it's not like I didn't really like the Sunsyn, but there were some things that made me wonder whether, given my current setup, the Omega might prove more valuable, and at the price of the Omega, and some of my other upcoming purchases, I didn't see having both for a long time. I hope I don't regret this.

One thing I like is that you can upgrade the Omega to the Code, get additional filters, and some other upgrades, it is obvously still in production, a new OS is apparently coming out soon, and the people at SE are amazingly responsive. I emailed them a question and within 5 minutes got a return email saying to just call them up, and they spent a bunch of time with me on the phone when it was clear that I was getting a USED one.

We'll see. The Sunsyn is a helluva synth. I can foresee finding another one at some point.

• Members

As far as how to get a .mid file in there, I just drag it in usually. To change the association in os x, so that when you double click it, it will open sysex librarian...right click on a .mid file and there should be a choice to 'open with'. Select 'other' and you can choose sysex librarian. I think that this should work.

You said you get 'Open with'. I got that once and accidently selected Quicktime before I could change it. So now everytime I open a .mid file, Quicktime opens. Do you know how to change that, so then Sysex Lib. will open instead?

• Members

You said you get 'Open with'. I got that once and accidently selected Quicktime before I could change it. So now everytime I open a .mid file, Quicktime opens. Do you know how to change that, so then Sysex Lib. will open instead?

Yes. I just explained. Right click, and choose 'other' - then choose sysex lib.

• Members

I just calibrated the ENVs on my 1.22 Sunsyn. I posted a detailed reply in the Yahoo group. I hope you can get yours working Stikygum. I just spent a whole day with mine and fell even more in love with it.

Also, droolmaster0, be sure to report back when you get the Omega.

- CM

Archived