anyone that replied to my thread, what's your local music scene like?

• Members

Mine is worse than it's ever been, due to several things.

Pubs getting refused entertainment licences buy the local council

Lack of support, people try to put things on but when only 20 or 30 people turn up it gets impossible to do without losing money....plenty of people around my age come, but there seems to be a lack of younger people.....I guess they are all at home being 'emo' and too sad to go out and have fun.

lack of younger bands......there seems to be a serious lack of new younger bands around. 10 years ago there were lots of great local bands......and 20 years ago there were even more. It just seems to be getting worse and worse.

Lack of good rehersal space can also be a problem.

• Members

Mine is worse than it's ever been, due to several things.

Pubs getting refused entertainment licences buy the local council

Lack of support, people try to put things on but when only 20 or 30 people turn up it gets impossible to do without losing money....plenty of people around my age come, but there seems to be a lack of younger people.....I guess they are all at home being 'emo' and too sad to go out and have fun.

lack of younger bands......there seems to be a serious lack of new younger bands around. 10 years ago there were lots of great local bands......and 20 years ago there were even more. It just seems to be getting worse and worse.

Lack of good rehersal space can also be a problem.

Is that on the island or in Soton too?

Southampton over saturated the live scene with Unit 22, the Joiners, the Brook and Lennons all putting on very similar live music.

• Members

Baltimore is currently the trendy-pop/emo export city... so we have the likes of All Time Low, Dropout Year, American Diary, and a host of many other mediocre bands. There are a few diamonds in the rough though.

We've got a pretty good punk/hardcore scene... and that's about all I'm familiar with.

• Members

It's metal and or pop/punk where I am.

Go more into Mid-Sussex and it's purely pop-punk.

Brighton is the only decent scene near me, as I can't call myself London.

Best Bands are probably Elle Milano, Heels Cath Fire, Maths Class and Blood Red Shoes. But they're all off touring now, so not local...
Do the Maccabees still count? Probably not....

• Members
Is that on the island or in Soton too?

Southampton over saturated the live scene with Unit 22, the Joiners, the Brook and Lennons all putting on very similar live music.

on the island, I think the problem is any bands that are any good just concentrate on getting mainland gigs, which I can't say I blame them for.

'The Bees' are still around but they don't play here very often. It wasn't that long ago when there were several local bands playing every week, but now people struggle to even find somewhere to play and when they do no-one goes. :rolleyes:

the only island bands that are going well are playing mainstream covers to mainstream audiences in mainstream venues there seems to be a lack of any kind of alternative.....I was going to suggest to you that I might organise something over here for you guys, but I'd be worried you'd end up playing to 10 people! :freak:

• Members
on the island, I think the problem is any bands that are any good just concentrate on getting mainland gigs, which I can't say I blame them for.

'The Bees' are still around but they don't play here very often. It wasn't that long ago when there were several local bands playing every week, but now people struggle to even find somewhere to play and when they do no-one goes.
:rolleyes:

the only island bands that are going well are playing mainstream covers to mainstream audiences in mainstream venues there seems to be a lack of any kind of alternative.....I was going to suggest to you that I might organise something over here for you guys, but I'd be worried you'd end up playing to 10 people!
:freak:

It is so annoying when apathy ses in and audiences just cant be bothered.

But it is a vicious circle, bad venues, bad bands, bad attendances, all go hand in hand.

In Salisbury they have a thriving scene. Not necessairly amazing bands, but they have one great venue that they treat all bands like royalty at. So kids form a band with a dream of playing there and get ALL their mates along. It has created a good scene.

• Members

It is so annoying when apathy ses in and audiences just cant be bothered.

But it is a vicious circle, bad venues, bad bands, bad attendances, all go hand in hand.

Yes, that's exactly what's happened....it needs a handful of good new bands to come along and give everyone a kick in the ass....

Another problem is entry prices, there used to be several places where you could keep the door money and the venue were just pleased to have a full pub with people drinking....when my first band started we used to charge

• Members

It's a pity when audiences get apathetic. Andy, MP manager was telling me that the kids dont want to go to their local venue anymore a they'd rather drink cidar in the park. Its aweful cos I'd jump on a dedicated venue in my town, instead of the odd pub band playing in pubs or the odd youth club night.

• Members

Here in New York City there are a lot of clubs and a lot of bands, both good and bad. I only know about the original band scene. If your band is good and you promote yourselves you'll play to a crowd, if you're not part of a social scene then you might end up playing to ten people.

There's a lot of money floating around NYC. I think you get these young suits who decide to open a hip bar, but find the place a money looser because it's empty most of the week. So the get a cabaret license and get some rock bands to put people in the room. But they really hate the bands and their creepy friends so they tend to treat the bands like {censored}. The money is somewhere between cheap and non-existent. Still, if you give me a room with a decent stage, P.A., lights and a comfortable enough ambiance for my crowd to have a good time, I'm happy.

I think on any given night you can stumble into a joint for 5 or 10 bucks in Manhattan or Brooklyn and have your mind blown by an amazing act....or be really annoyed by some people who can't play, sing or write a song. It's a crap shoot.

Yup, pretty much the same as London.

At NetStar, BloodRedShoes rock. I saw them live last week. Their album rocks too.

• Members

It's a pity when audiences get apathetic. Andy, MP manager was telling me that the kids dont want to go to their local venue anymore a they'd rather drink cidar in the park. Its aweful cos I'd jump on a dedicated venue in my town, instead of the odd pub band playing in pubs or the odd youth club night.

That's a real shame......I think youth culture is more fragmented now too. When I was gigging regularly back in the 90's we were playing poppy indie punk, kinda like senseless things, mega city four, ned atomic dustbin, perfect daze and all that stuff, but we used to play with metal bands, an all girl grunge band that sounded like lunachicks, babes in toyland or whatever, a wierd electronica band that were a bit like joy division and a psycobilly band that played the meteors kinda stuff and whatever....but everyone stuck together because it was all 'alternative' and you'd see the same big group of people at every gig and all the bands would help and support each other....I dunno why but some of that got lost in the last 10 years or so.....now there seems to be a totally different handful of people at every local band's gig I go and see.....if they all stopped acting like a bunch of scenester snobs (this is the {censored}ing isle of wight FFS, nobody gives a {censored}) and went to the same gigs there would be a good turnout all the time.

• Members

I really like the Birmingham scene. Theres so much going on right now. From noisecore to country.

The Dexateens
Vulture Whale
Through the Sparks
Dan Sartain
Teen Getaway
Rtist
Nag Hammadi
Apsis
The Nowhere Squares
The Judy Garland Death Squad (their ok... but their name is great!)
13 Ghosts
Lonesome Spirit Device
Kudante
Dick Neff

• Members

Andover is really quite atrocious. Whiny gutless indie/emo fusion bands all vie to get in at one tiny, horrendously over-priced venue where if you aren't over 18 you are denied access to the bathrooms as the other bar has been converted into a strip bar.

The music is pretty dire, so it's a case of relying on the surrounding towns for good original stuff, i.e Salisbury, Winchester and surprisingly Newbury.

If you're not going for original material, then there's the good old covers circuit. Drunken antics, covers and a generic all round hate of one band who seem to call all the shots. It's a lot of fun as well as money and experience.

• Members

We had a fairly decent high school scene in Charlottesville when I was in high school. The "adult" bands are pretty mediocre except for a few interesting ones.

In boston, there's lots to choose from...

Go check out my friend's band: The Under in Boston.

They're pretty rad if you can stand heavier prog-ish stuff. Good players. The drummer was in Grief, back in the day (for the doom'ers).

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Columbia, SC's music scene is touch and go. Seems like there'll be some great bands around for a year or two then nothing for a while. The only consistently great band, in my opinion, that have been around for awhile are my friends Hot Lava Monster.

[YOUTUBE]FJEBRAi2Wxs[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Gainesville used to be a good thriving market for original music. Now it's oversaturated with punk/ska, indie, and hip hop. It's biggest letdown however is that there are way too many bands and not enough venues. Recently we've been having difficulty getting booked even in the smaller venues. On the other hand the bigger better venues (except one) all seem cater to scenester crowds, so they just hate us :thu:

Archived