anyone that replied to my thread, what's your local music scene like?

• Members

St. Johns music scene is dying, but there are a decent number of pretty good bands.

www.myspace.com/roundelay rock/pop

www.myspace.com/narrators 90s screamo

www.myspace.com/geinusband weird progressive

www.myspace.com/localtough weird weird

www.myspace.com/thefallfromhere pop/emo

www.myspace.com/swords666 doomy

www.myspace.com/crusadeshardcore hardcore

www.myspace.com/atbothends hardcore

www.myspace.com/trailercamp mmm

www.myspace.com/hogansdaughter shredz

my current band is in the middle of recording, we're doing pretty well here

it's a mix of the blood brothers and the fall of troy (people tell us, it's too hard to name your own music)

tell about your local scene!

• Members

We had a fairly decent high school scene in Charlottesville when I was in high school. The "adult" bands are pretty mediocre except for a few interesting ones.

In boston, there's lots to choose from...

• Members

Really cool bunch of friends of mine from not too far from my town. They are called Divided By Friday. They have two EPs out already and the newest one is on iTunes. Also had a stage at local Warped Tours. Really really talented group of guys. Did I mention they are all like 16 and 17 years old?

myspace.com/dividedbyfriday

Do yourself a favor and check those guys out.

• Members

There's a little bit of everything here. Punk, metal, country, cover bands galore, blues, acoustic acts, some band that plays obscure instruments from bygone centuries (with bellydancers), hip hop...

Maybe not everything, but there is a lot of music in our little podunk town.

• Members

We have mostly hip-hop groups, and a pretty good amount for such a small population. Most are {censored}, but still underground style. Nothing top 40, thank god. There's a couple doing stuff a little differently with good lyrical content.

As far as instrumental, it's mostly Grateful Dead type softer jam rock and poppy acoustic/folk solo acts. But there's also some metal and punk bands, but as far as I know nothing really unique in the instrumental department, only progressive hip-hop. I personally don't play any of that.

• Members

Music scene in my town is practically nonexistent. most of the musicians know eachother and we almost all play in different praise and worship bands in different churches. not much original stuff around here. Mistersuperfly's band, the skyline drive, are all from my town. Thats about the pinnacle of the success out of my town.:(

• Members

Here in New York City there are a lot of clubs and a lot of bands, both good and bad. I only know about the original band scene. If your band is good and you promote yourselves you'll play to a crowd, if you're not part of a social scene then you might end up playing to ten people.

There's a lot of money floating around NYC. I think you get these young suits who decide to open a hip bar, but find the place a money looser because it's empty most of the week. So the get a cabaret license and get some rock bands to put people in the room. But they really hate the bands and their creepy friends so they tend to treat the bands like {censored}. The money is somewhere between cheap and non-existent. Still, if you give me a room with a decent stage, P.A., lights and a comfortable enough ambiance for my crowd to have a good time, I'm happy.

I think on any given night you can stumble into a joint for 5 or 10 bucks in Manhattan or Brooklyn and have your mind blown by an amazing act....or be really annoyed by some people who can't play, sing or write a song. It's a crap shoot.

Archived