OT: Entertainment news

• Members

MTV Movie Awards will broadcast from

Universal Studios despite fire

39498625.jpg

Barbara Davidson / Los Angeles Times

Firefighters battle a blaze that broke out in the early morning at Universal Studios. More than 100

firefighters were battling a huge fire on the backlot at Universal that has destroyed several movie sets.

Universal Studios is just north of Los Angeles and is an amusement park as well as a working movie

and television studio.

By Geoff Boucher, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

June 2, 2008

Despite the fire, the show will go on.

The MTV Movie Awards is scheduled to be broadcast today from the Gibson Amphitheater at Universal and stars such as Will Smith, Robert Downey Jr. and Edward Norton are slated to appear.

An MTV spokeswoman confirmed that the fire would not change any plans.

"The areas we are utilizing for our production were unaffected and the 2008 MTV Movie Awards will go on as planned," the spokeswoman said. "We're working closely with authorities to make sure everything operates smoothly."

The band Coldplay flew in Friday and was scheduled to make a global premiere of their music at the event, and the slinky pop collective called the Pussycat Dolls planned to perform their song "When I Grow Up."

At rehearsals Saturday, the Pussycat Dolls performed their song and its big onstage climax -- a huge burst of stage pyro that now will have an unexpected symbolism.

• Members

Emo fans protest at 'suicide cult' label

Jamie Doward
Sunday June 1, 2008
The Observer

Kensington has never seen anything like it. Yesterday hundreds of fans of the US rock band My Chemical Romance marched on the offices of the Daily Mail in west London to protest at its portrayal of their lifestyle.

Sporting dyed black hair and dark clothing, they expressed their support for the 'emo' subculture whose origins lie in hardcore punk rock. Fans have taken umbrage with the paper's suggestion that emo, short for 'emotional hardcore', is a 'sinister cult' that encourages suicide.

They held placards proclaiming 'I am not afraid to keep on living' - lyrics from a song by My Chemical Romance. The Daily Mail defended its coverage of emo fans.

• Members

FX Pedals Fans March on Z.Vex Headquarters

Sunday 1st June 2008 - Minneapolis, USA

FX Pedals fans march on Z.Vex office to demand a a cheaper range of Z.Vex pedals called the "clone" range, including the lawsuit fuzzfactory and Stay Hard Booster.

A Z.Vex spokesman said "Remember, if it doesn't say Z.Vex Effects, it's most definitely not! "

They also demanded new pedals in the shape of seek delay, seek phaser and delay probe.

• Members

Jamie Doward

Sunday June 1, 2008

The Observer

Kensington has never seen anything like it. Yesterday hundreds of fans of the US rock band My Chemical Romance marched on the offices of the Daily Mail in west London to protest at its portrayal of their lifestyle.

Sporting dyed black hair and dark clothing, they expressed their support for the 'emo' subculture whose origins lie in hardcore punk rock. Fans have taken umbrage with the paper's suggestion that emo, short for 'emotional hardcore', is a 'sinister cult' that encourages suicide.

They held placards proclaiming 'I am not afraid to keep on living' - lyrics from a song by My Chemical Romance. The Daily Mail defended its coverage of emo fans.

MCR are emo? :confused:

christ, people really are stretching the term these days. :eek:

this is what I call emo.

[YOUTUBE]srU0xhkfIFw[/YOUTUBE]

Archived