MXR 90 or Nano Small Stone Phaser

Mrrikki

• Members

Which one do you prefer and why?

Just out of interest I was set on an MXR 90 for a phaser pedal but then I tired the Nano Small Stone and dam its a fine pedal and with a metal muff before it I could create jet engine taking of style sounds! For the difference in price I just can not see any reason to go for the MXR over the Nano Small stone personally.

• Members

I used to have a Nano Stone but I traded a Big Muff for a Phase 90 about a month back, and that's now what I am using. I modded the Phase 90's R28 resistor and I like the phase sound much more than the Nano and sold it off.

I like subtle phase tones that are more univibe-ish, so results may vary. But I am satisfied.

• Members

Phase 90 (make sure you do the r28 mod, it makes a HUGE difference).

Hard to really explain why, it just seems to phase better (for lack of a better term) and have a more natural sweep. Or maybe I've had the pedal for longer than any other pedal in my collection (12 years and counting), and I've just gotten so used to its particular pahse sound.

I do like the nano-stone though. Hard to go wrong w/ either pedal

• Members

Phase 90 (make sure you do the r28 mod, it makes a HUGE difference).

Hard to really explain why, it just seems to phase better (for lack of a better term) and have a more natural sweep. Or maybe I've had the pedal for longer than any other pedal in my collection (12 years and counting), and I've just gotten so used to its particular pahse sound.

I do like the nano-stone though. Hard to go wrong w/ either pedal

Will look at the R28 mod, I was all set to get a Nano Small Stone but now I need to rethink maybe....

• Members

i have a regular small stone and a phase 90. i love the full, in you face sound of the small stone, but the volume drop drives me crazy. dont know if the nano stone has the same issue or not tho, but something to consider.

• Members

When you guys are talking about the phase 90 w/ r28 mod, are you taking about a current reissue? If so, how's its bypass? I absolutely hated the bypass on the current reissue dynacomp. :mad:

For what it's worth, I've got a small stone that I'm thinking of getting rid of for a phase 90. Dunno, I don't really like the small stone with the color switch in the 'up' position, and in the 'down' position it's cool but kind of getting tired of it. Looking for a more univibey phase as well.

Maybe I want a univibe :idea:

• Members

When you guys are talking about the phase 90 w/ r28 mod, are you taking about a current reissue? If so, how's its bypass? I absolutely hated the bypass on the current reissue dynacomp.
:mad:

For what it's worth, I've got a small stone that I'm thinking of getting rid of for a phase 90. Dunno, I don't really like the small stone with the color switch in the 'up' position, and in the 'down' position it's cool but kind of getting tired of it. Looking for a more univibey phase as well.

Maybe I want a univibe
:idea:

My Phase 90 is the current reissue, the M-101 or whatever. I don't have any issues with the bypass as it stands, sounds fine running through it and the switch doesn't take alot of work to click on and off like the Nano Stone did. Not that it matters, but whatever.

The sweep of the phase is a bit narrower after the mod, which sounds better on faster settings. I wouldn't call it Univibey, though... but I do like that sound.

• Members

I gotcha. Thanks, good to hear about the bypass.

I thought the only thing the r28 mod did was take out the clipping that sometimes occured with the phase 90..?

Yeah, that's what I read too. And I think what it is, is the wider sweep of the phase will clip the signal. I found the mod to pull it back a bit and shorten the sweep a tad bit.

Just my findings though, I certainly didn't A/B the before and after sounds or anything.

• Members

i love my nano small stone. no volume drop like the original and with the switch you can go from a subtle phase to an your face one. its a lot more versatile than the phase 90. no mods needed.
:thu:

I just like the bubbly sound of the MXR a bit more. Different strokes.

:)

• Members

i love my nano small stone. no volume drop like the original and with the switch you can go from a subtle phase to an your face one. its a lot more versatile than the phase 90. no mods needed.
:thu:

Word to that. I do think the Nano Small Stone spends too much time in the lower part of the sweep though. Aside from that I love it!

• Members

I've had a few different Phasers and the one I always seemed to like the best was the Phase 90. I don't know exactly what it is but it tends to sound better with my set-up and the music I play.

• Members

I've had the phase 90 in several versions. I had an old original script one, a newer one, and a newer one with the mod.

I've also had several different small stones. A USA reissue, a 90's black russian one, and currently have an older sovtek style small stone.

I just like the sound of the small stones better. They're a little more of a full sounding phase that gets more easily into flanger territory and they just have a sound to them that's more appealing to me for phase.

Archived