Boomerang vs. Boss RC series

• Members

Hi all,

I'm thinking of selling my rc-2 because space is really not an issue anymore. I started seriously looking at the boomerang + and the boomerang v1 because I like the volume roller thing, reverse option, and seeming simplicity of it. I also think I could maybe send my stereo keyboard signal in through the 1/4" and aux in and out...like L in the 1/4" in out then a 1/4" to aux cable for the right side. Any thoughts, reviews, issues, or benefits of the boomerang???

Thanks,

Caleb

• Members

I think the boomerange is probably the most intuitive to use, but its considerably larger than the RC-2 and doesn't have as much available recording time. If those 2 things aren't an issue for you then the Boomerang is probably a good option. Of course you won't really know until you try them out for yourself, loopers can be a very subjective thing.

• Members
to me the boss RC50 looper is so much better in every way
:idk:

I just don't know if I have that much cash to drop on it...hm. Yeah, I do like the stereo ins/outs and number of pedals. Any other thoughts/reviews?

^and size really isn't an issue. I mean the main things for me are simplicity (aka layout like that of boomerang or rc-50 with clearly defined start, stop, overdub, reverse, tempo, etc.). What is a good price for a used rc-50...I know boomerangs are like 100-150 for v1 and 300 for the boomerang+?

• Members

I just don't know if I have that much cash to drop on it...hm. Yeah, I do like the stereo ins/outs and number of pedals. Any other thoughts/reviews?

The RC-50 had some software issues anyways and I'm not sure if they were ever corrected. For the money I'd avoid it in favor of the smaller Boss loopers.

• Members
The RC-50 had some software issues anyways and I'm not sure if they were ever corrected. For the money I'd avoid it in favor of the smaller Boss loopers.

hm, I never heard about the software issues. The problem I have with my rc-2 is that it is mono, doesn't reverse, and I'd rather have more control. I agree that the prices I see for the rc-50 seem to be pretty steep, and I am selling off a lot of my effects for a new amp, so I don't know...:confused:

• Members

hm, I never heard about the software issues. The problem I have with my rc-2 is that it is mono, doesn't reverse, and I'd rather have more control. I agree that the prices I see for the rc-50 seem to be pretty steep, and I am selling off a lot of my effects for a new amp, so I don't know...
:confused:

They might have fixed it by now, I never heard one way or the other and can't even remember what the issue was, but it was big enough that people started bitching after getting them. If you're a sucker for pain you can probably dig through the old threads via the search function and might get lucky and find some more info.

• Members

They might have fixed it by now, I never heard one way or the other and can't even remember what the issue was, but it was big enough that people started bitching after getting them. If you're a sucker for pain you can probably dig through the old threads via the search function and might get lucky and find some more info.

I think that was the RC-20?

I've seen several live videos using the RC50 and it seemed to kick ass in every way.

• Members

I think that was the RC-20?

I've seen several live videos using the RC50 and it seemed to kick ass in every way.

No it was the 50, I had an RC-20 for a while. It might have been something obscure that most people wouldn't care about though. Or maybe they fixed it. Again I have no idea, I just remember its expensive and people were disappointed because it came out of the gate with a software bug.

• Members

No it was the 50, I had an RC-20 for a while. It might have been something obscure that most people wouldn't care about though. Or maybe they fixed it. Again I have no idea, I just remember its expensive and people were disappointed because it came out of the gate with a software bug.

What did the software bug do?

• Members

What did the software bug do?

It was something to do with the timing of the loop when you went from record to play. Like there was a slight gap before it actually started playing and it would throw the timing off if you were playing along to a drum loop or other musicians. I believe that was addressed in an update, though.

Either way, the Boomerang was probably the easiest looper I've ever used, and I've been through several DL-4's and a Headrush 2 to compare it to. All 3 are simple, but the Boomerang was the most intuitive of the 3. I don't have any desire to try the RC-50. I'm currently rocking a Loop Junky into an SMMH and loving it.

• Members

It was something to do with the timing of the loop when you went from record to play. Like there was a slight gap before it actually started playing and it would throw the timing off if you were playing along to a drum loop or other musicians. I believe that was addressed in an update, though.

Either way, the Boomerang was probably the easiest looper I've ever used, and I've been through several DL-4's and a Headrush 2 to compare it to. All 3 are simple, but the Boomerang was the most intuitive of the 3. I don't have any desire to try the RC-50. I'm currently rocking a Loop Junky into an SMMH and loving it.

Interesting about the rc-50...yeah the boomerang seems to command high demand and prices despite the fact that it has limited loop length capabilities and everything. Can it save loops when unplugged. I don't know, I'm leaning to the rc-50 because it seems to be a good combo of stage application and features...

• Members

...anyone used either one, or both? Thoughts?

i have used both, the boomarang is way better to use live. the time factor really doesnt matter because it records continulay and records over what you have had been using so the original loop gets recorded over in real time. its such a great design, and i presume you would be keeping a job in your own country if you look behond the boss. the boss looper i used to use was great for recording but using it on the fly was a pain, the boomarang can overdub better than the boss because it can alter the length of the loop, or at least it seems that way to me, if you press overdub and leave it on it fades out, i have only used mine in one setting, if i change to the other setting i get a bunch of new options.

the boomarang rocks

• Members

I've been looking into loopers recently cos I really want one with stereo ins, and it appears that the Boomerang 3 is what I really really want, but they're STILL not out yet.

The Boss RC50 did have some issues when it was releases (so I've read) but it has a USB connection and Boss releases a fix for it, so I think any new ones will be fine, and if not you can update it easy enough.

The EH does look great, but it's pricey and massive, and I think The RC50 and Boomerang 3 outclass it in every way apart from it's volume/pan for each track capabilities.

• Members
I've been looking into loopers recently cos I really want one with stereo ins, and it appears that the Boomerang 3 is what I really really want, but they're STILL not out yet.

The Boss RC50 did have some issues when it was releases (so I've read) but it has a USB connection and Boss releases a fix for it, so I think any new ones will be fine, and if not you can update it easy enough.

The EH does look great, but it's pricey and massive, and I think The RC50 and Boomerang 3 outclass it in every way apart from it's volume/pan for each track capabilities.

agreed. Are you just running a stereo guitar set up, or keyboard like me? Yeah, the boomerangs all look great but I definately don't/won't have enough money or justification to spend that much on the third one. The rc-50 seems more complex live, but the stereo in and out is great. I do love the boomerang's apparent simplicity though. :confused:

• Members

It's going to be a stereo guitar rig when I get the looper. I wanna be able to bounce delays around, and maybe have the choice of only sending the looped signal to one amp etc. I may also look to add a keyboard into the equation too, at some point.

The Boss RC50 has midi in, doesn't it? I'm sure it has the ability to accept midi signals to keep your loops sync'd up to a drum machine etc, which is a very interesting option for a one man band looper type setup.

• Members

It's going to be a stereo guitar rig when I get the looper. I wanna be able to bounce delays around, and maybe have the choice of only sending the looped signal to one amp etc. I may also look to add a keyboard into the equation too, at some point.

The Boss RC50 has midi in, doesn't it? I'm sure it has the ability to accept midi signals to keep your loops sync'd up to a drum machine etc, which is a very interesting option for a one man band looper type setup.

I believe so? Not positive, but it has a lot. I love the boomerang's simplicity, it just seems like it shouldn't cost so much for what it does. Even though the rc-50 is expensive, it seems like it makes more sense in terms of price.

Archived