how do i get b.b. kings tone?

maor1993

• Members
B.B.'s tone is all in his fingers. He's used a bunch of amps over the years and even a bunch of guitars (early years). If you listen to the really old stuff to the new it's all B.B.. He could pick up a 7 string Ibanez run through a Krank and sound like B.B..

:thu:
BBkingJEM.jpg

• Members
He plays solid state! I find that hilarious due to the tube purists typical response

As for the "tube purists'" reaction to his using solid state, nearly everybody is aware that B.B. uses SS amps. Since he plays with a clean sound pretty much all the time, it's not an issue. Most so-called "tube purists" aren't going for pristine cleans, though, or B.B.'s tone, for that matter.

What "typical response" are you talking about, anyway? I've never encountered anybody who was surprised or bothered by B.B.'s amp choice.:idk:

• Members

Lose your job,your car & your freinds.Have your best freind run off with your women.Play a chitlin curcuit for room & board for about 10 years,Have a hooker steal your wallet with your last 5 bucks in it,after drinkin' the last of your whiskey.Have a bunch of kids with different womens all over the place.Then find out the hooker gave you crabs.

Thats a start.

• Members

Using a Lucille doesn't hurt either. I tried with my Les Pauls and couldn't get there thats why I picked a Lucille up. The varitone plays a big part also with that guitar. And it can be a real rocker if need be with the humbuckers in it.

• Members

+1. BB King and Metallica?

listen to the seek and destroy solo, dave uses the same tone or someware arround there like bb.king

also its not the amp guys i heard someone who used a mesa boogie express 5:25 on a modded tele with a humbucker on the neck and sounded just like bb

and more dial ideas?

• Members

listen to the seek and destroy solo, dave uses the same tone or someware arround there like bb.king

also its not the amp guys i heard someone who used a mesa boogie express 5:25 on a modded tele with a humbucker on the neck and sounded just like bb

and more dial ideas?

I don't hear it. Around what time are you referring to? By the way I think Hammett recorded Seek and Destroy.

• Members

I don't hear it. Around what time are you referring to? By the way I think Hammett recorded Seek and Destroy.

the first and second lick of the solo you can hear it kinda sounds like the same tone.

• Members

just tried it not getting the sound.

if you cant play like BB, the gear is somewhat irrelevant.

brian setzer on SRV's gear sounds like setzer. peter buck on opeth's gear aint gonna sound like opeth.

• Members

Find an old tube practice amp, something that looks like it came from the 60s or 70s and was made for beginners (you can find them on ebay for next to nothing). Then crank that sumbitch up and use BBs vibrato, and you will have become close to it, the only part left is your hands. Really, old blues players like BB weren't really concerned about tone, they just wanted an amp that they could crank up loud (then it usually got distorted) and they would play through whatever they could get their hands on, regardless of tone. Nowadays, they are concerned about tone, but they are concerned about getting the tone that they remembered back from the old days when they would play through any amp they could acquire, so they want amps that sound like they did back in the old days.

• Members

B.B. King playing through a ring mod and a cranked Mesa isn't going to sound like
Live At The Regal
, either.

as long as preamp gain isnt cranked, i;d put my $ on BB still sounding like BB.

but yeah, since every mesa sounds the same, you;re probably right.

• Members
as long as preamp gain isnt cranked, i;d put my $ on BB still sounding like BB.

but yeah, since every mesa sounds the same, you;re probably right.

The Mesa was just an arbitrary example. Why can't the preamp gain be cranked, though? After all, he's going to have the same tone no matter what, right?:idk:

He'd still sound like BB if he was playing a clarinet, mostly because he'd still be B.B. It won't sound the same, though, of course.

Archived