Soundclips. Are they really useful?

inu

• Members

I don't know? Each time I tried a pedal (especialy OD/distortion type) or an amp, I thought it sounded very different from any soundclip I could have heard of it. I mean, the sound I get from my OD/dist pedals can vary so much depending on the amp (and it's setting) and guitar I use that listening to soundclips seems a bit useless apart for getting a very vague idea of the kind of sound... The best example I can give is that my Big Muff can sound so good or so bad depending only on the amp I use.

Maybe it's ok for time based effects or things like the POG but for dist/od or amp... mmmh

Is it just me? :idk:

• Members
Nice work, Robo
:thu:

digging unfunk right now, nice phrasing and tones. What gear am I hearing here? A Strat I'm guessing, but what with?

thanks!

that I think is my squier '51 with a SD-1 into fender bandmaster reverb thru an EV 12L speaker.

not 100% sure... it was recorded a long while back

• Members

unless someone owns the same exact guitar, amp and cab, yeah, they're pretty pointless... especially for things that work with those elements like dirt pedals. for modulation it's easier to use your imagination picturing it in your own rig.

but until some sort of regulated system comes along, clips with what ya got on hand are better than nothing i guess.

• Members

Well clips are a hell of a lot better than just reading advertising, because they'll make it sound like something it ain't. Here's a good example of a bad example. A pedal that imitates a Vox amp, so what does the guy do? Wanks through it, rather than play something U2ish or Beatlesesque.

[YOUTUBE]doJcZ7Mv0_o[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

clips are good because they give you a rough idea of what the gear sounds like. Of course, it really varies at what level they are recorded, what gear is used and the playing but it gives you a rough idea of what it does.

• Members

Someone should write a "Universal dirt pedal soundclip song" that everyone MUST record for soundclips. It would have Big 'ol chords, palm mutes, a little bluesy lead, some pick squeals, and some indy riffage. It will run the gamut of rock and roll music!

• Members
Someone should write a "Universal dirt pedal soundclip song" that everyone MUST record for soundclips. It would have Big 'ol chords, palm mutes, a little bluesy lead, some pick squeals, and some indy riffage. It will run the gamut of rock and roll music!

I dunno how to play most of that stuff :cry:

• Members

I think they're useful. You have to kind of listen for the character of a piece of gear rather than the actual sound of it, if that makes sense.

The majority of clips are garbage, though.

I agree..... I try to listen to what the pedal does to the tone than the actual sound of what's being played..... so I won't take a clip seriously unless I can hear the bypassed tone.

• Members

i never record clips of my gain pedals.. just doesn't work.. the interaction with the amp and mic placement is impossible to give an accurate portrayal of its sound.

clean modulation, delay, reverb etc all come across well enough to show off the sounds they are capable of.

• Members

It is important to listen for RELATIVE change in the sound. You start with this, add pedal, get this. It takes a bit of imagination to extrapolate. In the case of pedals not found at stores, though, clips are usually all you've got. Keep in mind that may be saving you a lot of money.

One thing I hate is so many clips with killer players and Strats. Most of them sound so much like a great player and a Strat, I don't know how I'm supposed to tell anything else. It seems that people are impressed by a good player, and yet in some ways a complete beginner would be better for demoing.

Videos can be effective, although as a dial-up user I rather hate them. I tried a new thing on my last batch of clips, knob setting pics: Subzombie (5 examples) Mixmuff (clip page only, 1 clip 2 sounds)

Archived