Marshall or Orange?

• Members

Who prefers what?

I have a Marshall but was originally after an Orange AD 15/12 (that kinda 15-20 watt amp) or a Vox AC15.

The closest i could find was the TT, but for the same price i could get this Marshall combo i have,

without having to pay for the price of a cabinet on top of a new TT.

I was just wondering if anyone has a significant preference of an Orange over a Marshall or vice versa,

& what reasons you have for that?

Just interested is all!

• Members

Early Marshall > old Orange > mid-period Marshall > new Orange > new Marshall.

i suppose iwould have to agree with that, old marshall plexis & the whatnot are the killer marshalls to have.

I'm not sure where my marshall falls into, its a JCM2000 so that might be mid-period as its originally from the late 90's/early naughties (not a recent JVM thing).

• Members

Really? That's surprising, the 100 watter version of the JCM2000 is meant to be their best-selling product to date or whatever,

numbers don't always count but obviously some people like them.

What constitutes as a new orange? the AD series (or is has that discontinued)?

* edit probably the TT & maybe whatever range that's in, if any.

Can't say i liked those much but i guess it all depends on the speaker you use.

• Members

Early Marshall > old Orange > mid-period Marshall > new Orange > new Marshall.

you are saying new marshall's are the worst?

I don't agree, the 'vintage modern' series heads are {censored} hot....Probably as good as anything they've made in the last 25 years imo.

• Members
Really? That's surprising, the 100 watter version of the JCM2000 is meant to be their best-selling product to date or whatever,

numbers don't always count but obviously some people like them.

Marshall don't get much love in here, it's mostly Vox and Fender amps in HCFX. ;)

personally if you are in a punk/metal/rock band and are out on the road, I don't think you can do better than a Marshall head or combo. Very reliable and built to abuse. :)

• Members

i suppose iwould have to agree with that, old marshall plexis & the whatnot are the killer marshalls to have.

I'm not sure where my marshall falls into, its a JCM2000 so that might be mid-period as its originally from the late 90's/early naughties (not a recent JVM thing).

That would be the "new" marshalls.

• Members

Supposedly with a tube and speaker swap, the DSL401 combo is supposed to be
:love:

And nope, ADs are still in production. They just announced the AD5, actually. They discontinued the AD140, though.

mines exactly the same as the 401 one, even the same size, but with half the wattage.

It has had a tube-change (& some soldering) & sounds superb.

Much better than the TT to me, anyway, much fuller (even with stock speaker).

• Members

yep, i'd have to say the only thing putting me off an Orange AD-anything is the price :p

everything else is top notch.

*someone else mentioned before that Marshalls don't get much love on this forum, which is a shame.

Even though i know they can be limited, they're perfect for what i want them for.

I'm not exactly a balls-to-the-wall distortion kinda guy either, they just have enough range in dirty gain to satisfy my every needs.

• Members

I love marshall, and god knows I'd love to get my hands on a good jmp master volume but there are some custom shop stuff that marshall did that rock. The dsl50 is still a good amp but not as good as the rest of their older stuff. It lacks a bit of beefiness. I still prefer marshall over fender and vox but that's because I like natural thick overdrive.

Archived