Will a Rat 2 do modern Punk sound?

Mrrikki

• Members

I have heard good things about the RAT 2 its a good distortion pedal and good for punk sounds even (according to the web site) anyone use this pedal much for that Blink 182 / Sum 41 style sort of distortions? Any experiences or thoughts on this pedal would be appreciated, I would use it for less heavy songs that I currently use my Metal Muff for.

• Members

If that's what Modern Punk is, I'm glad I'm not a punk.

I'm just using them as an example Blink 182 people like that are classed as a modern sort of punk sound, anyway this isn't a knock bands thread just asking about the sound of the RAT 2.

• Members

The Rat will do whatever sound you want it to do.

Now go and listen to Radiohead like the rest of us.

I know it will do a radio head / bloc party sort of sound.

And I am listening to In Rainbows right now :thu:

• Members

I'd say a rat was a little more old 'punk' sounding...edgier, fuzzier, not as compressed compared to 'that' saturated blink182 sound...which always sounds super smooth and compressed to me and more 'metal' than 'punk'

the rat is pretty versatile though, so it can do a good range of distortion sounds.

• Members

I'd say a rat was a little more old 'punk' sounding...edgier, fuzzier, not as compressed compared to 'that' saturated blink182 sound...which always sounds super smooth and compressed to me and more 'metal' than 'punk'

the rat is pretty versatile though, so it can do a good range of distortion sounds.

Thanks Melx thats the sort of answer I was looking for :)

• Members

I was getting there...i just had to get some pleghm off my chest first.

but yeah, what Melx said. It's a little more fizzy, but easily one fo the best allr ound Dirt pedals out there.

Albeit I've only done the Boss, Digitech, EHX...Um Behringer.... etc route. Oh, and Shredmaster...maybe you could look into one of those...maybe a Guv'nor..Actualyl scrap that, probably not tight enough..

What's wrong with the Metal Muff?

• Members

New punk sounds like crap, don't bother. A lot of it is way over produced, and it's more the production than a sound from one actual pedal.

But the Rat is my absolute favorite distortion pedal. That thing is so flexible.

• Members

Yeah, same as what everyone else is saying. I've never actually used a Rat (:eek:) but I always thought it would lack the tightness you'd need for the palm muting found in modern punk. For the wide-open choruses, it might be useful though...

Besides, don't most modern punk bands just use marshall stacks for their distortion?

• Members

First, I am a punk. I may go so far as to say that I'm punk as {censored}.

Second, I used a rat while borrowing someone's gear at a punk show - when you're as punk as me you don't need to show up with your gear to shows. Anyway, I used said rat and it sounded awesome! But blink 182 and sum 41 use what I 'm guessing is expensive amp distortion and studio magic to get their sound. Get the rat anyway.

• Members

I have heard good things about the RAT 2 its a good distortion pedal and good for punk sounds even (according to the web site) anyone use this pedal much for that Blink 182 / Sum 41 style sort of distortions? Any experiences or thoughts on this pedal would be appreciated, I would use it for less heavy songs that I currently use my Metal Muff for.

I think both of those bands use mesa/boogie dual rectifiers. Tweaking your metal muff (i.e lower the gain & play with the eq) should get you closer to that sound than a rat will.

• Members

It's not going to get you the exact Tom DeLonge or Deryk Whibley tone, not that you want it. It's going to be a lot fuzzier, a lot looser and not as saturated. If you want a "modern punk" tone, go buy a Recto or DSL.

Sorry if I came off as kind of an ass, haha.

• Members

I was getting there...i just had to get some pleghm off my chest first.

but yeah, what Melx said. It's a little more fizzy, but easily one fo the best allr ound Dirt pedals out there.

Albeit I've only done the Boss, Digitech, EHX...Um Behringer.... etc route. Oh, and Shredmaster...maybe you could look into one of those...maybe a Guv'nor..Actualyl scrap that, probably not tight enough..

What's wrong with the Metal Muff?

Nothing wrong with the muff I just thought the rat would be another cool tone, that and i won one on ebay that I didnt think I would and now Im stuck with it, dam late night ebay bidding when you don't know what your doing! Now Im looking for a reason to have it when it gets here or will I be selling it on :p lol

• Members

With this RAT 2 my pedal board will be:

- Guitar

- Boss TU2

- Bad Monkey

- Crybaby Wah

- Metal Muff

- RAT 2 ? Maybe?

- MXR Phase 90

- Boss CH1 Super Chorus

- Marshall Echohead

I'm wondering wether there will be any need to have both a metal Muff and a RAT 2, from the clips Im hearing the RAT will give me different tone options that the Metal Muff has.

Or I could just sell one of them when it gets here? lol

• Members

With this RAT 2 my pedal board will be:

- Guitar

- Boss TU2

- Bad Monkey

- Crybaby Wah

- Metal Muff

- RAT 2 ? Maybe?

- MXR Phase 90

- Boss CH1 Super Chorus

- Marshall Echohead

I'm wondering wether there will be any need to have both a metal Muff and a RAT 2, from the clips Im hearing the RAT will give me different tone options that the Metal Muff has.

Or I could just sell one of them when it gets here? lol

It's a totally different sound. As far as your pedals go, the Bad Monkey would be low gain, Rat 2 would be mid gain and Metal Muff would be high gain with a boost on it. You'd have all your bases covered there.

• Members

It's a totally different sound. As far as your pedals go, the Bad Monkey would be low gain, Rat 2 would be mid gain and Metal Muff would be high gain with a boost on it. You'd have all your bases covered there.

Cool just the answer I was looking for ty :)

• Members

Cool just the answer I was looking for ty
:)

Yeah, this is at least how I would set it up. I keep my Rat's gain at about 10 o'clock, which still gives it alot of dirt but retains a more overdriven sound rather than a fuzzed out distortion (which it also does, btw). Really I think if you run the Rat into your Bad Monkey, you may not even need the Metal Muff as you'll get the same sort of saturation cascading the two pedals.

I talk the Rat up alot haha, but like many it's my favourite drive box.

Archived