Cleaning up the Fuzz on my Distort

• Members

Yes another question I'm sorry this doesn't quite fit into my other threads, so I hope you don't mind me diluting this forum with yet another noobie question :p

Basically, I've got a Fender Frontman 15G (hey, you, stop laughing) and I like it I don't really mind what you say :p but anyway, the distort I've been trying out its good stuff, just a little fuzzy for my taste.

How do I remove the fuzz? I know of people like my hero, Jonny Greenwood (Radiohead) who put their fuzzy shredmaster through I think a Boss DS-1 to clean it up... could I do this to clean it up without having ruining my amp distort? Could I do this with, say, a ProCo TurboRat (cos I like Bloc Party and Radiohead, as I've said about 20000 times now) and get a wide range of distortion sounds?

Also, yes this isn't on the amps part, but is the marshall mg 15 watt ministack any good? Just something to sorta do a one up on my Fender Frontman.

• Members

That's kind of confusing, do you mean a distortion box or distortion on the amp? If the latter you'd need a effects loop to put anything AFTER the distortion.

The main fuzziness is caused by the 8" speaker allowing through frequencies that no regular guitar speaker lets through. I do actually have a sample of a Frontman 15R on my Subzombie page, incorrectly under the heading "tube amp samples" ... you could compare how that box compares through various amps there. It is through the clean channel; I noticed the dirt channel actually can be smoother, showing some electronic filtering can help, but that still doesn't offer the complexity of a larger speaker.

• Members

I have a Frontman 15g too. I replaced the crappy stock speaker with a Jensen C8R and left the back off; it also sits in an empty wardrobe, and it sounds big and clear. When I replaced the speaker it revealed how really crappy the amp's own distortion is. I've got a Marshall Jackhammer going through the amp's gain channel - amp gain on zero - ( it farts out on the clean). With my Strat (with pickups wired in series) it's a little monster, with only a small amount of fizz in high gain.

Archived