OK, I have a phaser dilemma.

frankiej

• Members

Ok, as some of you probably know im going out for a Quasar. Today when i was in the shower (weird eh), i thought to myself...if i have about $200 already...should i go the Moogfooger route since i maybe able to get it for $250 or so.

Now is the hard choice should i go for the moogfooger first or buy the Quasar already?:confused::mad: I know the moog holds more value and i could always trade down to a Quasar if i dont like the moog. Get what im saying?

What say you people of the Effects forum!?:wave::wave:

Help me out here.

• Members

ok can someone explain to me again the diffence between 4, 6, 8, 12 stage phasers?

its seems ive been leaning more toward 4 stage phasers. Hence the small stone and Quasar love. The moog can only do 12 and 6.

• Members

the Moog seems awesome. I'd love to try one.

I've been extremely happy with my Red Witch Moon Phaser. It gets an awesome "tremophase" univibe type thing going on.

That is one I wanna try but like, I wanna cut my board down, not up. Guess I'll stick with my Nebula. It's simple and does the job.

• Members

Get the quasar, you'll probably be very happy with it. More expensive products always give the illusion of greater quality; you can always get the moog if you don't like the quasar, right?

true i guess. I mean if the moog doesnt offer many more options then im not going to bother with it. I guess this is a quest for ultimate control in some way.

• Members

Well the moog has a preamp that I strongly dislike and it doesn't really sound as deep as the quasar to me despite having more stages. I thought it was sort of subtle with guitar and for such an elaborate design, I just wanted more.

• Members

Well the moog has a preamp that I strongly dislike and it doesn't really sound as deep as the quasar to me despite having more stages. I thought it was sort of subtle with guitar and for such an elaborate design, I just wanted more.

ahh ok, i wants me some deep phaser action. And if it didnt sit well with you, an effects nut (no disrespect intended), i dont think it would settle with me.

• Members

I've owned the Quasar and currently own the Moog. To me the moog is far from subtle, if anything its too much. It depends a lot on where in the chain you put it.

The quasar was great, I just like the Moog more. Only thing I dont like about the moog is the lack of Mix control

• Members

I mean... you should try it first but I didn't like it much.

ya i know but its a long shot right now and to tell you the truth i really dont want to spend that kind of money. I was just wondering if it had that many more options to justify its price, if you know what i mean.

Im sure its sweet. plus i dont think i could enjoy it to its fullest extent since im only at home for another two months before i go away again.

• Members

Different strokes ...

I have played both. I still have the Moog.

The Moog has the deepest and thickest phasing I have heard. It also will go extremely slow or very fast. The stereo field is also quite cool. External expression control of LFO Rate, Depth, and Resonance is also cool.

I liked the Quasar and it has a feature that the Moog doesn't - positive AND negative resonance (feedback).

• Members

I own the moog. I like it a lot. But I think it depends what you're going for--if you want a normal kind of phaser sound--i'd honestly stay away from the moog. But it does do some pretty cool stuff. I saw one (I believe here) for sale for $195.

Another phaser I've always wanted is the old ibanez phase tone II.

• Members

I own the moog. I like it a lot. But I think it depends what you're going for--if you want a normal kind of phaser sound--i'd honestly stay away from the moog. But it does do some pretty cool stuff. I saw one (I believe here) for sale for $195.

Another phaser I've always wanted is the old ibanez phase tone II.

WHERES!?!?! if you can remember PM me. But then again its probably sold already.

• Members
do not get the moogerfooger i had to sell mine cause i could not stop tweaking at it. it was addicting and i couldnt actually play guitar with it, cause i had to tweak it so damn much. stay away!
:mad:

hahaha...i do that too much as it is. I think ill stay away from it for the time being.

Quasar it is!!!

• Members

If you want some "deep phaser action", another one to consider in your price range would be the Sobbat Phase Breaker II : "just enough" swirling phase on the "Phase 1" mode, "Phase 2" gets even deeper and more churning (even moreso than the PH350), and then it has the additional 'Vibe' mode that is a tweakable pitch vibrato. No noise issues, is set to unity volume, and sounds really fantastic. I actually have the Red Witch on the board for the shimmery, vibe-like sounds, and the Sobbat for the thick, deep, take-over-your-sound type sounds. Worth considering.

-Ben

• Members

Different strokes ...

I have played both. I still have the Moog.

The Moog has the deepest and thickest phasing I have heard. It also will go extremely slow or very fast. The stereo field is also quite cool. External expression control of LFO Rate, Depth, and Resonance is also cool.

I liked the Quasar and it has a feature that the Moog doesn't - positive AND negative resonance (feedback).

The Moog also has expression/cv control for sweep.

The Mooger will also do negative resonance with the proper voltages going to it. (i.e. an analog sequencer that will go +5 as well as -5 volt)

I have 2 Moogers and 2 PropheySound Infinitphase. To my ears, the Infinitphase is really brittle sounding. The Mooger is deep.

Another phase worth mentioning is the Studio Electronics ModMax.

The Mooger may be too much..... it really needs CV to make it shine. S+H LFO speed action and a sequencer controlling the sweep, expression pedal controlling resonance kills any phaser.

Archived