is it really true that pedals dont work well with solidstate/hybrid amps???

• Members

MY JC-120 LOVEZ pedals. Including my TS808 clone. That pedal with a fair amount of Drive dialed in, with my bridge pup on......beauty. Wouldnt be able to tell that it was a SS amp.

Seriously. I {censored}ing love everything about this amp. Except for the 70lbs. But the JC-77 is a more portable version that sounds just as good, and has actual controls for the renowned chorus channel.

Isn't the JC120 ridiculously loud though?

• Members

There have been a lot of conflicting opinions about this for decades, with some respected engineers taking the view that transistors make better preamps because they are inherently broadband, and others taking the view that tubes make better preamps because they "overdrive more gently" or that they are richer in musical even harmonics where transistors and integrated circuits are richer in non-musical odd harmonics. Russell Hamm's 1972 presentation to the AES is a good example.

It might be interesting to note that the generation of harmonics is a type of distortion which electronic engineers have generally considered to be a bad thing.

Obviously, I think it depends on the design of the amplifier. It's been pointed out that the JC-120 sounds great with pedals. If we were to accept everything the experts tell us then the JC-120 should be the worst of the bunch because it uses an op-amp preamp which, according to Hamm, completing supresses even harmonics.

My recommendation is to believe your ears. When you go shopping for an amp bring your favorite axe and your pedal board. If you like the way the whole rig sounds then put down your cash, make music, and be happy! :thu:

• Members

i was contemplating getting a superchamp xd but some guys said it worked bad with pedals because it had a digital preamp... but some guys said it worked fine

I don't know what a superchamp dx is but there's a big difference between solid-state and digital pre-amps. Solid state takes pedals just fine. Putting pedals in front of a modeller or modelling amp i don't like either.

• Members

Digital modeling can take pedals just fine. Run any of your favorite dirt boxes in front of your DI into Amplitube 2, ReValver MkIII, or Guitar Rig 3, the results are as real as plugging the dirt into an amp...

Now, the simplified, static models of lower end "budget" floor units like the GT-10, Tonelab, Pod X3 probably don't handle them as well, and that translates to their respective modeling amps having issues, too. Although I have had no problem overdriving the "Rectifier" model on my Microcube with my favorite fuzz, the Aramat Mojo Fuzz :lol: but that isn't exactly a high-fidelity application, dig?

• Members

Well, volume is also an issue. If I crank up a Roland Cube solid state amp and run a Boss HM-2 through it, it sounds like a swarm of pissed off killer bees in a tin can. On the other hand, if I run the same pedal through a class A tube amp like my Valve Jr. at the same volume, it sounds like Black Sabbath is in my house.

• Members
Really?
:confused:

I've got a 115-65 that is probably the most pedal-friendly amp I've played.

It has been many years since I had my 112-65. But I do remember it working well with my Ibanez overdrive II, EH Small Stone and Electric Mistress. Perhaps which pedals are plugged into it s the key? Mine was a 1978 or 79 model with a 12AX7 and 2 6CA7's.

I did have Marshall 100 watt hybrid last year for a while. It took my pedals well. But nothing helped the cleans.

The Fender Deluxe 90 my daughter had took pedals ok too. But then again these were good pedals.

None of these amps took to kindly to some inexpensive DOD's we had. So was it the amp or the box? you decide.

No pedal we had could make her Peavey Blazer 158 sound good.

• Members

Here's a couple Randalls 30 years apart with pedals providing the dirt.

RG120PH, ancient closed back 1x15 combo with long-tank spring reverb and tremolo built in
bacp

RX120RH, new inexpensive SS head that actually pushes its advertised watts with a feasible efficiency rating... Great clean channel on it. Spring reverb, tiny tank :lol:
homk

I've got more clips, but those ones are the most pedal'd out.

• Members

In general I think living room amps and practice amps for beginners don't. My Line 6 has trouble with some and my old roommates berhinger did as well. But my Acoustic takes them like a {censored}ing champ. Like everything else, it depends on the quality.

• Members

i have had a problem with hybrid amps like the vox valveronix taking effects, but thats just with most of the settings on it, there was like one setting tht they worked ok on. i think it was designed to work mainly with its own on-board effects. as far as solid state amps go, i couldnt tell ya.

Archived