is it really true that pedals dont work well with solidstate/hybrid amps???

• Members

Not true in the broad sense. Some amps don't take pedals well, both tube and solid state. When I think of solid state taking pedals well, I think of the Jazz Chorus amps. Digital modeling preamps can either sound half decent or really {censored}ty, and they might not like dirt pedals. Like zygoat said, non-dirt pedals should work about the same.

• Members

In my experience that's bull{censored}. I've had a Fender Stage 100 and a Vox Pathfinder 15 that both took pedals really well

+1 The stage 1000 that i just sold sounded fantastic with my dirt pedals

• Members

I have a little SS Fender practice amp (Champion 30). It definitely doesn't sound very good with the dirt pedals I have used on it.

What size is the speaker in it? Dirt pedals dont always sound good through a small speaker.

• Members

Well, regardless, I wouldn't buy the Superchamp. Save a little more, buy a tube amp.

yeah but i can't find any tube amps that are lightweight and yet loud and have treble mid bass

(will be going to college next year)

• Members

Peavey Valveking 112? It's $100 more unless you find it used (which you should be able to do) and a lot louder/better sounding. Not that big either. They carry them in Guitar Center if you wanna go play it and see.

• Members

It maybe doesn't work as well as you expect -- if you expect to not need a tube amp. But you might not need as fancy a tube amp. Either way, you need something with good speakers in it for what you're try to do, and something you like the sound of (and not just through inexperience).

I do think the clean setting on the Line 6 halfstack does something nice to the sound.

I had a Music Man and hated it. The later hybrid amps are odd -- not only is the phase splitter transistor, the power stage itself is hybrid. A plus is you don't have to bias, it's truly self-biasing because transistors handle the real bias setpoint. The extremely high voltage plate voltage of the 65 also inherently requires low bias, and the low tech opamps are in full force. Don't care for the speaker much, but a better one didn't seem to do the thing either.... The problem with "hybrid" is there are essentially unlimited combinations. A good SS preamp into a normal tube power section should be fine with effects.

• Members

I've pretty much got the experience that solid state amps arent as good as tubes...mind you, I came to this conclusion while playing my pedals through my fender FM212R, and the amp I tried said pedals out on was a bogner shiva...so quite a discreptancy going on there :p

What features are good for an amps pedal-friendliness, generally speaking? Maybe I need to trade in my amp if theres something else that will be more responsive.

• Members

I have an old national/concord reel-to-reel. The power section is a pair of EL84s, the preamp is solid state. It is so {censored}ing mean & creasy that it doesn't need pedals. With a better speaker it sounds fine with them.

• Members

It's up to the individual, their preferences and preconceived notions. Many of the people who say SS amps don't suit boosted signal are the same ones who say that Overdrive X performs better when fed an above-unity gain signal from Overdrive Y, yet in both cases (boosted signal to amp vs. boosted signal to pedal) you're talking about essentially the same thing -- a transistor or op-amp getting hit with enough signal to cause it to clip. If that's a sound you like, then go for it.

• Members
I've had some noisy experiences with distortion pedals and cheap SS amps.

Cheap...yes.

My little sister's Frontman 15 isa piece of poo.
Big Muff sounds good through it however....it just destroys any noise with layers of crazy fuzz :thu:

• Members

MY JC-120 LOVEZ pedals. Including my TS808 clone. That pedal with a fair amount of Drive dialed in, with my bridge pup on......beauty. Wouldnt be able to tell that it was a SS amp.

Seriously. I {censored}ing love everything about this amp. Except for the 70lbs. But the JC-77 is a more portable version that sounds just as good, and has actual controls for the renowned chorus channel.

Archived