Jazzmaster : AVRI vs Classic player.

mrweems

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have the Classic Player series. I really like it as a guitar. It plays, feels, and sounds great. The only real complaint I've heard about it is that at least some of the MIM Jazzys are poorly grounded/shielded/etc., leading to more hum than there should be. I haven't really noticed a ton of that, but I've spent the bulk of my time playing at apartment volumes where such things aren't super obvious. Also, I'm running my air conditioner off of the same outlet as my pedalboard, so I'm hardly running it in a good environment for noise. All in all, though, it's a really great guitar and well worth the price.

That being said, I don't have a ton of experience with more "traditional" Jazzmasters, so I can't say how it compares to them soundwise. Obviously, things like the bridge and the flatter radius are going to have an impact on the way it feels and sounds. With my MIM, I'm definitely able to coax pretty accurate-sounding versions of songs done on a JM (when I first got it, I couldn't stop playing "Airbag" and "Street Spirit," and it definitely copped the tones, especially with a Turbo Rat thrown in the mix.)

Hope that helps somewhat. I'd definitely wait to give this one an in-person test drive. People seem to either really dig these or really hate them.

• Members

I have the Classic Player series. I really like it as a guitar. It plays, feels, and sounds great. The only real complaint I've heard about it is that at least some of the MIM Jazzys are poorly grounded/shielded/etc., leading to more hum than there should be. I haven't really noticed a ton of that, but I've spent the bulk of my time playing at apartment volumes where such things aren't super obvious. Also, I'm running my air conditioner off of the same outlet as my pedalboard, so I'm hardly running it in a good environment for noise. All in all, though, it's a really great guitar and well worth the price.

That being said, I don't have a ton of experience with more "traditional" Jazzmasters, so I can't say how it compares to them soundwise. Obviously, things like the bridge and the flatter radius are going to have an impact on the way it feels and sounds. With my MIM, I'm definitely able to coax pretty accurate-sounding versions of songs done on a JM (when I first got it, I couldn't stop playing "Airbag" and "Street Spirit," and it definitely copped the tones, especially with a Turbo Rat thrown in the mix.)

Hope that helps somewhat. I'd definitely wait to give this one an in-person test drive. People seem to either really dig these or really hate them.

Do you ahve a picture of yours near by?

Yeah i'm reading a lot about the grounding issue over on offset. But some copper tape should fix that up in a bit.

How are the pickups? Are they to hot? I like the way the 60's jm i played felt and sounded. Very mellow and punchy.

Also with the bridge, is there any string jumping happening?

i'm really considering getting one soon if you seriously recomend it. Though i wont have a decent case for it, seeing how it doesn't come with a nice case..

But yeah.

Its These that are killing me and i can't decide.

But its kind of obvious which one is the prettiest! :)

557623.jpg

267919.jpg

475224.jpg

• Members

Get the black MIM Jazzmaster, Weems.

And rock it hard, for that is what it's for.

Most def. Its been hitting me hard for about a week.

like the 3 months that i saved for the AVRI it was hard to say no when he told me that they wouldn't have one in for 3 months.

And i declined. That was a hard day. But i guess it might have been fate saying hello.

• Members

Do you ahve a picture of yours near by?

Yeah i'm reading a lot about the grounding issue over on offset. But some copper tape should fix that up in a bit.

How are the pickups? Are they to hot? I like the way the 60's jm i played felt and sounded. Very mellow and punchy.

Also with the bridge, is there any string jumping happening?

i'm really considering getting one soon if you seriously recomend it. Though i wont have a decent case for it, seeing how it doesn't come with a nice case..

[

I love mine, but these are stirring up enough debate that I'd really recommend trying one out in person. The pickups are pretty hot for what I'm used to (low-output singles), but I kind of like the way the extra output makes my setup react.

As for the bridge, it's more or less a TOM style. No string jumping there. I'm playing it with the stock 10s it came with, and I can be a pretty aggressive player.

I have a couple of {censored}ty pics of mine from when I did the "Post Your Guitars" thread:

P6020128.jpg

P6020126.jpg

• Members

Shut up girl!

Also i see that the pickups are different.

And the final coating is different. Nitro vs Poly..

But other than that they seem identical.

Different PUP's, different shielding, different bridge, and the biggest difference is the closer placement of the trem unit. I think the neck radius is also different.

• Members

I played one at a store for about 20 min and i didn't like it as much as the CIJ/AVRI ones i've played. the main issue I had was the screw in trem bar. It reminded me of my strat which isn't what I would want with a jazz or jag.

• Members

The MIM neck is a 9.5" radius, the AVRI is a 7.25". They also placed the tremolo on the MIM closer to the bridge to increase the string angle, or so they say.

I {censored}ing love my AVRI Jazz in surf green; it's set up perfectly. But I have a hard-on for an upcoming '59 or '62 Thin Skin Jazzmaster. I need more $$$ badly.

• Members

The MIM neck is a 9.5" radius, the AVRI is a 7.25". They also placed the tremolo on the MIM closer to the bridge to increase the string angle, or so they say.

I {censored}ing love my AVRI Jazz in surf green; it's set up perfectly. But I have a hard-on for an upcoming '59 or '62 Thin Skin Jazzmaster. I need more $$$ badly.

When are those supposed to hit stores? I know they did that limited run last year. I forgot what year they were modeled after though.

• Members

So has it been determined what kind of pickups the MIM's come with? I heard on the offsetguitars.com forum someone thought they were P-90's.

They're JM pickups, but they're a hotter version made specifically for the MIMs.

Archived