Lunar Module or Top Fuel?

IRG

• Members

I don't normally want to sound like someone else, but Gilmour is up there for me. I like his tone a lot, and wouldn't mind getting a pedal that would get me there. I am replacing a Moho Russian Big Muff with a Little Big Muff, but I'm not sure either of those is what I want/need. I like my Skreddy Screwdriver, so I think I might try another, either the Lunar Module or Top Fuel. Is there one that is more representative of earlier Gilmour's work? Although I like the later stuff too. I've seen the LM on the TGP forum for $205 used ($195 new, 2.5 months waiting list) or I might wait and get it new. Thoughts on which one?

• Members

i've heard the lunar module nails some of the old gilmore tones,i'm longing for one myself.as far as the top fuel,i hear its more of a distortion then a fuzz,very tight dist.i say another thread on it a while back.i think alot has to do with what amp you are using.i'm sure someone will chime in soon with more info.the skreddy's give me tarrible gas!

• Members

I'd suggest getting the Top Fuel if you already have a Screw Driver. I had a Lunar Module and a SD and they were capable of sounding similar, with the LM sounding a bit more rounded out.

OK, that makes sense. DOes the Top Fuel make muff like tones or completely different? And how is the Mayo different from the TF?

• Members

OK, that makes sense. DOes the Top Fuel make muff like tones or completely different? And how is the Mayo different from the TF?

i have the tf. It's a muff circuit, but has been tweaked for a very specific sound -- distortion that has a lot of mids, with a tight rounded edge sound with plenty of sustain. I repeat -- plenty of sustain. You will not get many sounds, you will only get one great sound. It will not clean up well. There is plenty of gain on tap with unity being 25% of the way in. It sounds better and better as you crank it, but you will also get a little hissing noise (not too bad though). I would say if you play single note leads, this is a good pedal to have. If you go with mostly chords, i would pass and go with the sd instead. I've never played the mayo.

Listen to this clip and that is what it is essentially

http://skreddypedals.com/circuits/TopFuel/TeddyTopFuel.mp3

• Members

i have the tf. It's a muff circuit, but has been tweaked for a very specific sound -- distortion that has a lot of mids, with a tight rounded edge sound with plenty of sustain. I repeat -- plenty of sustain. You will not get many sounds, you will only get one great sound. It will not clean up well. There is plenty of gain on tap with unity being 25% of the way in. It sounds better and better as you crank it, but you will also get a little hissing noise (not too bad though). I would say if you play single note leads, this is a good pedal to have. If you go with mostly chords, i would pass and go with the sd instead. I've never played the mayo.

Listen to this clip and that is what it is essentially

I listened to a clip of the LM and really liked it, but I loved this clip too. I think the Top Fuel is my next pedal. Or very soon.

• Members

top fuel is for '94 era floyd tones. LM is for "time".

Yeah, I just got a note from Marc to that effect. I was listening to Division Bell this morning, not one of my favorite LPs, but the tone was still great. So I am easily influenced to go with a Lunar Module because I am more familiar with Gilmour's earlier work. I'm leaning towards the LM, and I think tonight I need to listen to some of the earlier works to make sure this is what I want, but I believe so. Anyone else have or had both and can make a recommendation one way or another? Both sound like great pedals from the clips I've heard.

Archived