Bit OT - Jazzmaster Pickup Dilemma

Kid_A

• Members

Should i:

Spend $100 for one pickup from Curtis Novak (Hand made on demand and supposedly the muts nuts)

or

Spend $100 on 2 American Fender Jazzmaster pickups....

These wil be going into my CIJ jazzmaster...

• Members

Should i:

Spend $100 for
one
pickup from Curtis Novak (Hand made on demand and supposedly the muts nuts)

or

Spend $100 on 2 American Fender Jazzmaster pickups....

These wil be going into my CIJ jazzmaster...

CIJ 'jazzmaster' pickups are STRAT pickups in a jazzmaster shaped bobbin, No joke. And Strats have 250k pots, JMs have 1meg.... Go figure... Thats why They sound like Strats with 10 treble boosters in front... They are disgraceful, I was pissed when I took mine out.

American JM pickups are pretty shrill, lifeless week and unusable on the whole... I wouldn't go that route dude.

I used Novak and Lollar. I recomend Lollar if you want a more authentic JM tone. Novak if you want more meat and p90 tone. He will always recomend selling you his p90 in Jazzmaster pickup shape thing... He doesnt ever recomend you buy a pure Jazzmaster bridge PU from him. Fralin also good, but lowest output of them all. I LIKE lollar more, but use Novak to gig more... Easier to dial in good tone.

• Members
CIJ 'jazzmaster' pickups are STRAT pickups in a jazzmaster shaped bobbin, No joke. And Strats have 250k pots, JMs have 1meg.... Go figure... Thats why They sound like Strats with 10 treble boosters in front... They are disgraceful, I was pissed when I took mine out.

American JM pickups are pretty shrill, lifeless week and unusable on the whole... I wouldn't go that route dude.

I used Novak and Lollar. I recomend Lollar if you want a more authentic JM tone. Novak if you want more meat and p90 tone. He will always recomend selling you his p90 in Jazzmaster pickup shape thing... He doesnt ever recomend you buy a pure Jazzmaster bridge PU from him. Fralin also good, but lowest output of them all. I LIKE lollar more, but use Novak to gig more... Easier to dial in good tone.

Thanks for that awsome post mate... very helpful! :)

• Members

Truth'd.

And yes. when i was researching Jazzmaster gear. I shot him an email. And he surely suggested a JM vintage spec'd in the neck and the JM p90 in the bridge.

Archived