This sucked. Ass.

• Members

So I purchased this guitar a while ago to replace another no-name Tele copy that was giving the trouble -

http://store.guitarfetish.com/xvvicrdr18ro1.html

yhst-50206111187217_2002_4222184

I figured it wasn't going to be the holy grail, but I also figured it would be a fine low end replacement for what I needed at the moment. In the end, it's pretty decent: playable, sounds fairly good, and quite useable for what it is.

Well, I just came around to replacing the strings on it (I only gigged with it a couple times and practiced mainly slide with it, so there was really not an urgent need to replace the factory strings on it for a couple months. . .plus I'm lazy). So, as I am taking them off, I notice that's it oddly difficult to get them through the holes in the Fender-style bridge where strings would naturally be, well, strung through. I end up realizing once I get them off that the holes on/through the guitar body don't line up with the holes in the bridge, at, at best, there's a slight amount of what could be considered a hole that would let the string pass through. This makes it physically impossible to restring the guitar without dismantling the entire bridge assembly, taking it off the guitar body, pulling the strings through, reassembling and screwing the bridge back in, in which case, the strings can only make it through the small bit of hole by being mashed between a wooden body and a metal plate at the most awkward angle possible. The most irritating part is that this isn't a vital aspect to the guitar, it's just the string holes through the body, and it's a total mess. Why mess up this detail on an otherwise okay guitar?

Anyways, I just got done filling up the string holes with wood paste and tomorrow I am going to try and drill new holes in the body that will hopefully align correctly with the bridge. But, all in all, this little discovery sucked. Ass.

Anyone else have any nightmare stories about defects that they found in what they thought to be a cool guitar of theirs?

• Members

Should have gone with an Agile/SX. I've never had a problem with my Agile strat (802) copy since I got it back in '06 IIRC. The stock pups sucked balls though, replaced them with some tex-mex.

That's a really nice looking guitar though. Hopefully you can make it right.

• Members

I got my MIM Strat for $200, it was a killer deal since the PO had upgraded with locking tuners, new pickups, graphite saddles and tree, etc...

A month later, I finally figured out what was weird about the bridge... they had bought the American graphite saddles and installed them anyway, so the bridge is spaced out more than it should be, which makes the whole setup a little weird. Perfectly playable, but a pain in the ass. Still haven't gotten around to replacing them.

Archived