Budget time - You've got 1k and no gear and your playing a show tonite!

• Members

:eek:

Here's the scenario. You've been invited out to Boston, you were promised a backline, effects and a guitar (if needed). Here's your problem, your guitar is in the shop and you definetly want this show, so you go out with the promise of gear provided.

That was your big mistake. You pull in to the venue, it's a cool place, seats 150 and 3/4 of the tickets have been sold (which is great cause ya know, you play originals).

Here's the problem, the amp is literally a 10 watt SS piece of junk, yeah they can mic it - but um' you can't get your "tones" out of it, and face it, since you're a musician you need your tone, or something less buzzy then this thing will be.

As far as effects go - well they were built into the amp - so that's a no go.

The guitar? Ha, it hasn't been played in 10 years, and will probably never be played again, seeing as the neck looks like bow without the arrow, except a bow may be mildly straighter than this thing is.

Dangit.

Now you're in a tight spot. It was kinda your fault for not bringing your guitar and pedal board. But you are a little mad about the amp - Ok, you're ripped. You don't want to burn any bridges with this venue cause it's a good gateway venue for getting into the Boston scene, plus there will be over a hundred people here to see you tonite. The last thing you want to do is cancel.

You shake your head and go for a walk - in less than 1/2 a mile you stumble across a guitar center, you've got 1k in your checking account and it wouldn't hurt to have some new gear.

What do you get to play the show?

I know this is completely out of the realm of possibilities, I just wonder what people would get in this situation.

• Members

I would go with a MIM Fender Tele or Strat ($200-300, which ever one felt the most solid at the shop), Crate V15 amp ($300+/-), TS-9 ($75-90), Vox Wah ($90) and a DL-4 ($180-$225). Any cash left over would buy cables & power supplies.

• Members

Assuming GC had everything I wanted in used stock and would match the best eBay price I could find and not charge tax --

Gibson SG Special Faded - $421

Fender Blues Jr. - $305

Zvex Box of Rock - $160

Boss DD-3 - $65

Boss TR-2 - $40

Extra $9 -- Beer.

• Members

Something similar to this happened to me when I went to LA to record 5 years ago. I only shipped my amp head & my guitar to LA figuring that the studio would have all the effects I needed and I could buy and return a 4x12 cab from GC when I got there. The studio had most the effects I need but I still had to buy and return some other stuff.

What I didn't account for was that everything in LA cost 20% more than it does in MD. I didn't have enough credit limit to get a Marshall or Mesa cab so I had o record w/ a cheap Line6.

• Members

You all are getting some good deals. Using MF prices...

Squier Standard Tele $200

Crate V18 212 $380

SMMH $215

Boss OD 3 $90

EHX LPB 1 $40

Korg CA 30 $20

1 Spot Combo Pack $35

Cheap cables ~$40

Total $1020

I bet I could talk them down and have them cut out tax. If not, the LPB1 goes.

• Members

The best-feeling Squier or Peavey Raptor they have, unless a MIM is on sale.

Vox Tonelab or Zoom G9.2tt (whichever is cheaper/they carry)

Peavey Valveking 112

Some cables

That's pretty much what I was gonna go with. Unless they stock Cort guitars, which I doubt.

• Members

Okay, asuming that I have to buy everything new (I don't know about you guys, but my guitar center never has anything decent that's used) and assuming I'm in Portland, Oregon (no sales tax!), here's my solution:

MIM Strat ($400) -> Boss SD-1 ($40) -> Big Muff NYC ($80) -> SMMH ($215) -> 2 Vox Pathfinders ($240)

• Members

Alright ... MF prices...

Squier Vintage Modified Tele SSH - $300

Crate V18 1x12 - $330

MI Audio Blues Pro OD - $130

Boss DD-7 w/ FS-5U - $190

Cheap tuner, strap, cables & batteries - $50

(I'd much rather have a Box of Rock though, so if the GC has those, I'd opt for a used one and forego either the tuner or the FS-5U... or both if I couldn't buy used.)

• Members

This really depends on what kind of show I'm playing.... I'd probably just play loungy mopey alt. rock, out of necessity...

Amp - Fender champ x2 - $400
Guitar - Epi studio dot - $200

Effects:
Korg pocket tuner - $20
Line6 Verbzilla - $110
Marshall ED-1 - $70
EHX Nano Small Stone - $80
Boss DD-20 - $120

picks, strap, cables, slide, capo - $100

.....Not too bad, really. I'd have a stereo rig with plenty of atmosphere, the soundguy would love the low-volume amps, and I'd be able to get most of the sounds I'd need....

• Members

Schecter 006 Deluxe - $300
Kustom Defender - $425
Boss DD-3 - $109
MI Audio Crunch Box - $130

And I'd bum cables off the other guys at the venue. Actually, the Crunch Box and Defender would probably be an improvement . . .

• Members

Squier Affinity Telecaster $170

Dano Fab Overdrive $15
Rat II $90
Fender PT-100 Pedal Tuner $40
Ibanez DE-7 $70
Line 6 Echo Park $110

Visual Sound 1 Spot Combo Pack $35

Cheap patch cable set $10
Cheapest 20 foot cables I could find $20 each?

Peavey Windsor Studio 20W $400

$980

Ask them to chuck in a cheap $25 2 button footswitch for free

Archived