Anyone have a Behringer V-Amp and FCB1010?

Sutto

• Members

What is required to program the FCB to get it up and running? Is it ready to go or do you have to go through some crazy steps? I've watched a few vids on YouTube of the programming process and it looks like you need a fooking engineering degree. :eek: I have a V-Amp 2 and I'm considering the FCB1010 but I only want to get it if it works well and easily.

• Members

Ok, well in case anyone else is wondering in the future, it's a pretty simple process. I picked up the FCB1010 and it has built-in settings for use with the V-Amp. Just hold buttons 1 & 6 while you power up the FCB. It displays a countdown from 09 to 00 and you're set.

• Members

I have owned both. Sold the V-amp (pro) and still have the FCB1010 (it's chipped now). The FCB is a very solid midi controller for the price. It's not that hard to program but having the manual helps, because you have to memorize (or look at the manual to see) the sequence of events you do to program each switch. It's not THAT big a deal, though. If you have a midi interface, there is computer software that can program it for you. The Yahoo group is the answer to any and every question about the FCB, including making it work with several devices including the V-amp series.

Fusion -- The expression pedals are solid. Not extremely high end, but I've played worse. They are fairly easily recalibrated should you need to do so, and you can actually mod them if you want to for different sweeps (inside the FCB, you can see that the exp pedals are done using plastic pieces that block light going to a LDR, and you can use a hobby knife to re-shape the plastic and vary how light passes through it, if you are adventurous.

Just throwing that out there, though. I really don't think the pedals need to be modded. The V-amp doesn't have a pitch shifter so I can't really comment on that, but since they work well for wah and volume, which is what I did with them, I imagine it would be the same for any other expression effect :)

Downsides of the FCB, unchipped: somewhat harder to use, not quite as featured as something like a Ground Control or CAE switcher, but then again, it's a $100 controller that's easily worth $200.

• Members

hmm if i get this behringer midi controller could i use it to control the electro-harmonix 2880 looper? expression pedals for sliders?

sorry, kind of off topic, but i'm just wondering

Without looking up the specs on the 2880, the FCB can control anythign that accepts PC or CC messages. The expression pedals can be assigned to arbitrary CC numbers, and you can program the switches to change the function of the expression pedals if you want.

• Members

Without looking up the specs on the 2880, the FCB can control anythign that accepts PC or CC messages. The expression pedals can be assigned to arbitrary CC numbers, and you can program the switches to change the function of the expression pedals if you want.

i need to learn more about this stuff. i would rather spend a few more bucks on the behringer controller and be able to use it for multiple things than get that overpriced expression pedal. thanks

• Members

it's worth mentioning that the v-amp 2 has a 1/2 second delay when switching patches with any midi board so I don't know if I'd invest on a midi board for the v-amp.

yeah, the v-amp kinda blows. The FCB is quite good for the money though, when used with other hardware.

• Members

So far I really like it. Yes, the V-Amp has a short delay when switching patches IF they involve a different amp model. If you go from one patch to another that uses the same amp model it doesn't have the delay. Doesn't affect me that much because at most I switch from a clean patch to a driven one using the same amp model.

As to how the FCB works with the V-Amp, it's good so far. It has a pre-set configuration that basically gives you immediate to 10 patches at a time. For example; on the FCB "bank" 00 you have access to the patches 1A-E with pedals 1-5 and 2A-E with pedals 6-10. I looked around the Yahoo group and it looks like some people program it in different ways, basically to work more like a stompbox I think. The type of stuff I play is more suited to patches though so I think I'm going to keep it the way it is, at least for now.

One nice side effect (to some), is that no matter what effects each patch has, the Wah is always available with the FCB. So even if I don't have Wah on a specific patch, if I move the Wah pedal on the FCB, it works. If you don't touch it there is no Wah. Once you touch it, the only way to kill the Wah is to switch to another patch and then switch back. I really like it because I don't have to have certain Wah patches, but if you accidentally touch the Wah pedal you're stuck with it until you switch out. Not really a problem if you just leave the pedal in one place and are careful not to touch it.

If you guys have any other questions about it I'd be glad to answer them if I can. I'm no MIDI expert, in fact I don't really even understand it at all, but with the pre-set configurations you don't need to. I can say this, the FCB feels very well built. I've had a few Behringer products and I've never really had any complaints, but they usually feel a little flimsy. Not the FCB, it's metal, the footswitches have a nice solid feel to them, it's got some weight to it. I like it.

Archived