Recommend a fuzz pedal please

terrafirma

• Members

During my short time in the forum, I've already noticed that many of you enjoy fuzz pedals, and in some cases, obsess over them. I do not own one currently, but have been perusing the net in search of one. I found I like the frantone peach fuzz, catalinbread v8 and the barber trifecta. I'm new to fuzz...is there any similarities between these as far as circuitry goes or are they very different flavors? I've heard a lot of fuzzes on youtube and for some reason, these catch my ear.

Any other great fuzzes y'all would recommend under 200 smackers? Oh btw, I hate the fuzz factory. It's poo. I'm asking for it now, aren't I? (The mammoth is cool tho, just way too expensive.)

• Members

Big Muff, USA (very scooped, woofy type of Fuzz. This is usually the gateway box that leads to all other Fuzz flavors) -->$75

Fulltone '70 (very versitle and articulate kind of Silicon Fuzz Face) --> $160

Analogman NKT275 SunFace (the best Germanium Fuzz Face clone out there IMO. Its a little warmer and not as sustaining as a Silicon Fuzz) --> $200

Wattson SuperFuzz (great clone of an Octave-up Fuzz but can sound like Doom) --> $160

ToneBender clone of somekind but I can't really think of one of the top of my head right now. Monsterpiece maybe?

Fender Blender (crazy end-of-the-world, my amps gonna blow Germanium Fuzz with an Octave-up flavor & boost option) --> $200

Maestro/AshBass/Mosrite ('60s, Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida/Spirit in the Sky/Spaghetti Western Fuzz)

• Members

thanks...those are some recommendations I didn't think about. I'll have to continue browsing.

Where can I look up more info on monsterpiece fuzzes...there's no Web site?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1778565&highlight=MONSTERPIECE

Also there is a demo of the Angry Dick 2000 on my youtube account.

Or just shoot the builder a PM (duderanimous). Hes a very nice guy.

• Members
thanks...those are some recommendations I didn't think about. I'll have to continue browsing.

Where can I look up more info on monsterpiece fuzzes...there's no Web site?

pm a guy named duderonimus. Go to the search function and search his name. They click on his name next to a quote and PM him about it.:thu:

• Members

hmmm...i may have to do that.

Has anyone hear tried the trifecta...the big muff option and sludge control are quite appealing, as I have a tele and a lp. Does it really sound like a big muff? (No one around where I live sells barber stuff...it's top notch tho...my tone press is saweet!)

• Members
Big Muff, USA (very scooped, woofy type of Fuzz. This is usually the gateway box that leads to all other Fuzz flavors) -->$75

Fulltone '70 (very versitle and articulate kind of Silicon Fuzz Face) --> $160

Analogman NKT275 SunFace (the best Germanium Fuzz Face clone out there IMO. Its a little warmer and not as sustaining as a Silicon Fuzz) --> $200

Wattson SuperFuzz (great clone of an Octave-up Fuzz but can sound like Doom) --> $160

ToneBender clone of somekind but I can't really think of one of the top of my head right now. Monsterpiece maybe?

Fender Blender (crazy end-of-the-world, my amps gonna blow Germanium Fuzz with an Octave-up flavor & boost option) --> $200

Maestro/AshBass/Mosrite ('60s, Ina-Gadda-Da-Vida/Spirit in the Sky/Spaghetti Western Fuzz)

Nicely put! :thu:

You can not get just one fuzz. Sorry kid, but ya just can't. :) Once you get whatever you get, you'll want to try other flavors of fuzz. You need a big muff style fuzz, and you need a germanium (tone-bender or fuzz face) fuzz, and you need a Maestro-60's-buzzy type fuzz... It's an addiction I tell ya, and I am about as sick as you can get. Good luck.

• Members

I'm 20 man!...I'm still a kid? Oh well, guess I should try to retain my youth before the gray hairs and an irritable bowel starts to settle in.

I really think all pedals are kinda like that...buy one and you keep buying more you "need"...from the youtube vids I've been watching, I know fuzz is no exception...and I LOVE dirt pedals. Now, the only problem is my pockets ain't that deep, so I would like something that's versatile that I can use until I get something else I "need" at xmas.

I play a wide variety of music, but I love the vintage stuff. I would like a really chunky fuzz with plenty of gain and thick bass. Not into weird noises or anything tho. I don't really like glitchy fuzzes either...nice and smooth is cool. Anything fit those qualities?

Thanks Orwell... that was a thorough list! Appreciate it, man!

• Members

I do like the sound of the big muff...but I don't like the size...are there any clones of that pedal?

Jesus, don't get these people started on that! Just deal with the size! They call it a big muff for a reason... it sounds huge and IS huge. Love it, yo.

• Members
No, there are no big muff clones.

yeah...I know that fuzz face clones don't exist either... :rolleyes:

I was just trying to start some discussion about options that aren't on the mainstream market...that extra tone knob or switch or whatever is sometimes a nice perk...but I know the original is usually the best.

I think I need to take a trip to woodwind and brasswind to try some of ya'lls suggestions...if I can afford the gas...$4.20 today...yikes! Thanks for your help guys...feel free to make any more suggestions

Archived