I'm confused... Why does BJFE stuff cost so much?

DanJep

• Members

It's an interesting question. I bought a BJFE Baby Blue years ago. Prices back then were in the range of $175-$225.

When I saw their recent prices it was unbelievable.

Great sounds, nice size, but absurdly overpriced these days. Of course, some people will pay those prices.

• Members

I just don't understand how a booster could be worth $500?

That's because your a tone-deaf moron with no money :poke::poke::poke:

$500 for a boost does seem a tad OTT.

• Members

I think what makes it worse is the weak US dollar. That's why most European gear (Koch, Lehle, BJFE) costs will be inflated hear in the states.

As for the BBOD, BJ ran out of the particular chip he used for that pedal so that one is no longer made.

• Members

I'll put it this way....

To most guitar players, the pedals we talk about hear are pretty boutique and expensive. People at the TGP discovered that paying even MORE money for a boutique pedal can elevate them to boutique-god status among forum members. So they spend ridiculous amounts of money to obtain tones that are only possible with hand-built pedals made in Europe. This is absolutely stupid because the dollar has been at its lowest point ever compared to the euro.

Not to mention it's contagious, every single "Which OD" thread over there is full of BJFE and Landgraff comments.... how about just getting a nice tubescreamer and calling it a day?

• Members

In Sweden, if you're a small time builder and want to make some sort of living off of the business, they will inevitably end up costing around 2000-2500 SEK at the customer end. As all the production costs and builder's salary etc are in SEK, you need to get paid in that currency too. And with the current weak dollar, that turns out to $330-410 USD. Sometimes, the export prices are lowered (to slightly offset the exchange rate), but there's a limit to how much you can drop the price just because the dollar is weak :D

I just checked the MP pedals, and for reference, the MRD (Mighty Red Distortion) costs 2295 SEK ($379) here in Sweden, while the US price is 'only' $312.95.

/Andreas

Archived