Suggestions for Best Marshall Simulating Analog (Not Digital Modeling) Pedal

Gutter Pup

• Members

Hi -

Been playin' forever, and play a variety of styles. Playing Gibsons and Fenders through tube amps (mostly Fender). For some tunes, I want to lean towards a Marshall tone.

Lookin' for an analog (not digital modeling) pedal that does the best job that can be done approximating a Marshall (think Cream/Clapton - - Allman Brothers (old days) - - Michael Schenker (UFO)). I say "approximating", because I'm playing through Fender amps with open back cabinets. I know it's not going to be exact. Just trying to get as close of a decent simulation as is possible with a pedal.

BTW: Used to briefly have a Marshall JMP-1 rack mount unit - - and that did not cut it for me, even though I ran through a Marshall, all tube, Model 9001, 50 watt per side, stereo power amp, into an early 60's, checkered cloth slant Marshall cab with 25 watt Celestians . . .

Thanks for your suggestions,

Gutter Pup

• Members

Crunch Box for JCM800 tones

OCD for 18w tones

Box of Rock for JTM45 tones

Then you've got the Guv'nor & Shredmaster actually by Marshall. Also the King of the Britians & English Muff'n and possibly the Hot British Tone Bone ... plenty of options.

• Members

I've owned the Hot British, IMO it is great for the over-the-top modded JCM era Marshall but not so good for classic Cream/Hendrix/AC/DC etc. It worked best IME running it into a clean Fenderish amp. I also owned a Womanizer, I liked it ok at low volumes but not too pleased with it cranked up. For me the Xotic BB Preamp has been the best, it doesn't have a huge amount of gain but it really nails the cranked amp feel. It is the most versatile pedal I've used, it sounds great no matter what it's plugged into or what's plugged into it.

• Members

I also owned a Womanizer, I liked it ok at low volumes but not too pleased with it cranked up.

Dang good point, now that I think of it, I only used it to record with and didn't jam live with it at all, so what you say about it is more valid.

D.

• Members

Crunchbox or Box of Rock would probably work best with a Fender amp.

The Rat claims it does british overdrive sounds, but combining it with a Fender-style amp results in something... different. Something awesome, of course, but something different all the same.

• Members

I've got a Bassman LTD.

Whatever you do....don't get a Box of Rock. Yes...they're great pedals but they're not meant to be played with open-back amps. Your bass will be SUPER flubby and will really sound like ass.

The Crunch Box will get you there. There's a LOT of gain in that little box...so it's going to give you a more higher-gain Marshall sound than anything.

Another option for you is the Lovepedal COT50. Not sure what exact guitar and amp you have, but the pedal tends to be a little bright...so you'll have to tweak your amp settings to taste....but the pedal is unbelievable. For what you've described, the COT50 is your best bet. You'll NAIL the Clapton tone when you roll back your tone knob on your guitar. I've owned all the pedals listed above and then some...and the 2 I mentioned are the closest match IMHO. YMMV.

• Members

I found the Crunch Box to nail UFO era Michael Schenker tones, all you need is a wah pedal and you're there. It sounds especially close to the tone on Strangers In The Night, for the later stuff you'd probably want to leave your wah on all the time. These days Michael is using a Tube Screamer, TS-10 I believe, but I'd only consider that if you're playing into a dirty, loud Marshall.

• Members

:wave: Thanks to all for your replies and suggestions . . .

BTW: I previously owned the Marshall Guv'nor and Jackhammer pedals - - my own personal ears/tastes - - ok, but didn't really think "Hey, that kinda sounds like a Marshall/got's some of that Marshall "punch". Tried the Radial Hot British, and Classic pedals. Again, my own personal ears/tastes - - a bit over-compressed and/or oversaturated for me - - but not a bad tone at all . . .

I currently have a Marshall Drivemaster and an original RAT pedal.

Haven't tried the CMATMODS Brownie, Crunch Box, Lovepedal COT50,

or English Muffin . . .

Thank you again for your help !!!

Gutter Pup

• Members

I know its probbaly redundant given all the awesome suggestions already, and given the fact that its a local pedal maker, (Australia) but I played one of these the other day and have fallen in love, despite having more distortion pedals than what is usually healthy:

marsha_big.jpg

Here is the link, for all you locals (or otherwise) who are interested! Supporting local manufacturers ftw :p

• Members

If you really want a true Marshall tone, why not get a Marshall?

Seriously. Then you have the option to go back and forth between amps when you want another sound, and don't have to try to make one amp sound like another that's completely different.

IMO, you'll never get 100% to a true Marshall sound without an actual Marshall. Some pedals do the Marshall-like sound, but even the best still won't be 100% on.

Archived