BOSS GT-10 vs GT-8 mult FX question

Oscius

• Members

Ok well our band's guitarist is going to buy a new multi FX unit to get better metal tone.

Currently our setup is as follows: we have 2 guitarists, me (keyboards) and a bassist. we have a roland KC-550 amp that has one guitar and bass(bassist has his own amp but uses the KC for now) connected to it. We currently have loads of Distortion analog pedals and some others too. Here are some of them: Boss metal zone, OD3. Ibanez Tube screamer-9, sans amp.

Ok so what do you think would be the best multi FX unit to use here? OFC plus would be if you could connect 2 guitars to it (can you do that with GT's?)

Our guitarist has been mostly looking at BOSS GT series, do you think the GT-10 is so much better that it warrants for the price AND look diffrences (GT-8 being much better looking) between the two? We need a nice stereo sounding metal guitar tone with heavy good sounding distortion, and ofc a nice lead tone.

So if someone has owned both the GT-8 and 10 (or other suitable FX processors) tell me all the diffrences and your own opinions.

thanks

• Members

I own a GT-8, but the more I hear the GT-10 on youtube the more I think it's superior. Some guy put up some very helpful videos recently. You could plug in 2 guitars to either by setting up the external loop, once it's activated it will accept the guitar plugged into the loop return, and the original guitar will be muted and vice versa.

• Members

intresting...

I listened to some demos of GT-8 and it does sound like it has that annoying BOSS distortion tone, I dunno if it was just the settings though. On the other hand the GT-10 has minimalized the "boss effect". But the 100

• Members

intresting...

Can you plug 2 guitars in the FX processor and play them at the same time - using the FX?

You could, by blending the loop return with the original signal. I couldn't tell you if that would sound good or not. The GT-10 has parallel fx processing, but I don't think that means you can run two guitars through it independently, the signal would eventually be blended into one at some point, even with stereo outputs.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've owned the GT-8 for almost two years. I only do direct recording though so I can't debate how the GT series sounds on an amp, but I 've been doing this for about ten years with various multis.

I can't use the distortion at all. Very brittle and thin. Amp modeling robs the tone. I only use it now if I want slow gear, guitar synth or harmonizer.

Don't know about the GT-10 but user reviews are much like that of the GT-8. Most love it to death. Others complain about the thin gain.

If I was to pick up another multi I would be looking at the Tonelab or Zoom G9 2tt. Nothing but praise for both I hear on distortion, however neither seems to achieve the metal sound.

Archived