anyone try the beavis board?

• Members

No, you can't use it as a normal pedal. Basically, it is a really great tool for learning how to breadboard and tweak circuits. It's also a great way to start learning about components and how they work.

• Members
No, you can't use it as a normal pedal. Basically, it is a really great tool for learning how to breadboard and tweak circuits. It's also a great way to start learning about components and how they work.

ok, so far i have got:

no, you can't

and

yes, you can.

which one is it? could I use the board as a normal pedal to see how the diffrent effects react in my effects chain?? :confused:

• Members

If you hope to build your own pedals the Beavis Board would be a decent intro in to the hobby. Price-wise, it's not all that bad of a deal considering the amount of time/effort it takes to order all that stuff yourself. But you'll still have to learn the following things:

How to solder

how to source your own parts

How to read a schematic

Basic electronics principles

Drilling enclosures

etc.

• Members
ok, so far i have got:

no, you can't

and

yes, you can.

which one is it? could I use the board as a normal pedal to see how the diffrent effects react in my effects chain??
:confused:

Ok, yes, you can hook up your guitar to a breadboard and run it into an amp and see how you like things and tweak things on the fly. You just couldn't really put it on a pedalboard and gig w/ it.

• Members

Ok, yes, you can hook up your guitar to a breadboard and run it into an amp and see how you like things and tweak things on the fly. You just couldn't really put it on a pedalboard and gig w/ it.

maybe i'm being a bit dense here, but why not?

• Members

maybe i'm being a bit dense here, but why not?

From the site:

What about Pedal Kits?

The beavis board is not a replacement for pedal kits. Pedal kits allow you to build things that you can mount on your pedalboard, and there are a lot of great kits out there. Rather, the beavis board is an augmentation of, or a precursor to, pedal kits--it is a great way to build a large array of great circuits, learn more about how the parts work, and mod circuits to come up with your own personal sound. In the meantime, if you are looking for complete single-pedal kits, you should check out:

IOW, the components sit comfortably in the breadboard, but they meant to be taken out and moved around. So you have all these components exposed and they can easily be bumped around and cause shorts. I gues you could trim the components, but the purpose of a breadboard is really just to test out circuits before you solder them up to a perfboard or stripboard.

• Members

i think dap is talking about the impracticality of it, rather than any technical restrictions....

Yeah. That's what I'm getting at. it would just be a royal PITA to lug around your test board, but it could be done. I wouldn't put it on a pedalboard and travel w/ it that way, though.

Archived