Boss OC-2

• Members

I love the tone of my Electro-Harmonix Octave Multiplexer but hate the volume drop when on and the weird warble-y thing it does when I hold notes. I guess I'm going to try and replace it with a Boss OC-2, which is what I was looking at before I decided on the Octave Multiplexer. Does the OC-2 have a volume drop? Should I go to GC and try out an OC-3 just to get an idea of the OC-2s tone, or would that just be a waste of time? Thanks for any help.

Also, does anyone have any experience with those Ampeg Sub Blaster Octave pedals? I might try to buy one of those.

• Members

the OC-2 will be even more of a disappointment i think.

clean octave down pedals jsut have an apparent volume drop. just how it works. and personanly i think that 'warble', which i assume is the tracking glitching a little, is the best on the OM, so i dont think you'll do better there on the OC-2 either. jsut my opinion. what you want to do is get a nice clean boost to put after it to make up for the volume drop, and if you need to have it switched on at the same tiem, put both in a TB Loop.

or if adventurous, you can build a boost INTO the OM.

• Members

the OC-2 will be even more of a disappointment i think.

clean octave down pedals jsut have an apparent volume drop. just how it works. and personanly i think that 'warble', which i assume is the tracking glitching a little, is the best on the OM, so i dont think you'll do better there on the OC-2 either. jsut my opinion. what you want to do is get a nice clean boost to put after it to make up for the volume drop, and if you need to have it switched on at the same tiem, put both in a TB Loop.

or if adventurous, you can build a boost INTO the OM.

Yes, glitch is the word I was thinking of and I couldn't remember. Maybe I should return the XO and get the bigger version to build a boost into?

• Members

well having had both versions...

i actually built a boost in the big box version.

there is actually room to do it in the XO version as well. but it is jsut a hair more complicated because theres a PCB attached to the stomp switch instead of jsut loose wires. but its kind of an intermediate project to begin with

• Members

I've owned the OC-3, and found it to be a really boring pedal; but maybe that's because I like stuff that is glitchy or unpredictable.

The Octave Multiplexer responds most consistently when playing it staccato or palm muted, or with a clean attack each stroke, much like playing a bass guitar. Also, it's monophonic, so it doesn't respond to chords. It's a limited effect in that way, but as you said, it has the best analog tone of any octave pedal I've ever tried.

• Members

well having had both versions...

i actually built a boost in the big box version.

there is actually room to do it in the XO version as well. but it is jsut a hair more complicated because theres a PCB attached to the stomp switch instead of jsut loose wires. but its kind of an intermediate project to begin with

I actually just opened it up and thought the board on the switch was so {censored}ing cool. :p I can see how it might complicate things though. :mad:

• Members

I've owned the OC-3, and found it to be a really boring pedal; but maybe that's because I like stuff that is glitchy or unpredictable.

The Octave Multiplexer responds most consistently when playing it staccato or palm muted, or with a clean attack each stroke, much like playing a bass guitar. Also, it's monophonic, so it doesn't respond to chords. It's a limited effect in that way, but as you said, it has the best analog tone of any octave pedal I've ever tried.

Apparently the OC-2 kicks the {censored} outta the OC-3. If I want a dirty octave tone I'll kick on an OD pedal. I'm looking for a clean 1 octave down pedal with no volume drop and NO {censored}ING GLITCHING. Doesn't look like I'm going to find one though. :cry:

• Members

Someone just told me that if I feed the OM with a more powerful signal it will stop glitching. Should I crank the volume on the compressor before it? Also, I just learned that there will be no volume drop with an OC-2 because it has controls for each voice.

• Members

Apparently the OC-2 kicks the {censored} outta the OC-3. If I want a dirty octave tone I'll kick on an OD pedal. I'm looking for a clean 1 octave down pedal with no volume drop and NO {censored}ING GLITCHING. Doesn't look like I'm going to find one though.
:cry:

Have you tried the Micro POG yet?

• Members

Yeah, you'll have to fork out for a polyphonic octave like the EHX micro/pog if you want smooth tracking. Very pricey if you're just after ocatve down though.

No, I haven't tried it. Even though it does exactly what I want, I'm not dropping $200 just for octave down.

• Members

I actually like the OC-2. There's no volume dop, since you can set the volume for each of the octaves and the dry signal. It works best on single notes, but it can do power chords as well. Anything more than that gets glitchy. Which is pretty cool in some situations, but can get annoying in others.

• Members

I actually like the OC-2. There's no volume dop, since you can set the volume for each of the octaves and the dry signal. It works best on single notes, but it can do power chords as well. Anything more than that gets glitchy. Which is pretty cool in some situations, but can get annoying in others.

Does it get glitchy on single held out notes?

• Members

areyou using yoru bridge pickup? because you really are supposed to use your neck pickup for octaving, for best results

My bridge pickup is at full and it's where I normally play. My neck is at 1/2 and I never play up there. I have noticed that it is a little better when I play closer to the neck. But the places I want octave are heavier and sound better played at the bridge. :mad:

Archived