Cheap ring mod? what are some

rocket34bg

• Members

what are some ring modulators around the price range of a behringer. i can't believe they don't have one actually

something 50 bucks or less?

ehx looks ok for the price, but for the size.. not many features. moog ring mod looks cool of course. but i don't know much about any cheaper ones

• Members

There are no true ring mods out there for that price.

If it's something you just want to try out I'd recommend a Korg AX5G. The ring mod is pretty digital sounding but it's foot sweepable and will give you a good idea of whether or not it's something you'll use a lot. It also has a lot of other effects you may find interesting. It also self oscillates!

The ehx frequency analyzer is great. It doesn't have a lot of features but it does what it does REALLY well. It's probably the cleanest ring mod available and isn't at all noisy.

• Members

yeah with ring mods there are a few steps:

1) will you use/like it

if yes

2) do you want just straight ahead tonal clang harmony, or you you want LFO sweeps and movement?

if straight ahead = ehx frequency analyzer

if lf0 = moogerfooger

• Members

thanks for the info, i'm looking into the Korg AX5G right now

and, i like anything that makes noise really. it's just not an effect i really have (other than the one built into my nord electro). and i like pitch shifters and ring mods are similar... kinda

actually, there is a bunch of ring mod modes on my behringer virtualizer (rack). they are pretty crazy and i haven't really been able to tame them yet. also one of the settings makes really loud insane noises by itself, and that sometimes scares me away from the ring mod section of the thing.

• Members

android does look cool

is this a good deal on the korg?

Yeah, I think MF cleared theirs out at $39, but both are excellent prices. And while the preset effects arent't the best, what I REALLY like about the Korgs is that you have really good control over parameters and a little twiddling can give you REALLY nice rewards, IMO.

One suggestion if you do get tha AX5G, the manual kinda sucks. So download the Korg AX3000G manual from Korg's site. The AX5G won't have ALL the parameter adjustments of the 3000 (but it will have most of them!) but the descriptions/explanations of the effects AND parameters are WAY better in the 3000 manual (and they both use the same effects engine).

• Members

Yeah, I think MF cleared theirs out at $39, but both are excellent prices. And while the preset effects arent't the best, what I REALLY like about the Korgs is that you have really good control over parameters and a little twiddling can give you REALLY nice rewards, IMO.

One suggestion if you do get tha AX5G, the manual kinda sucks. So download the Korg AX3000G manual from Korg's site. The AX5G won't have ALL the parameter adjustments of the 3000 (but it will have most of them!) but the descriptions/explanations of the effects AND parameters are WAY better in the 3000 manual (and they both use the same effects engine).

dabbler, wattap yo... bowie in the hizouse!

Archived