Andy Summers' Electric Mistress

petejt

• Members

I finally got my Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress (yay! :) ), but when I tried it out last night, it sounded too subtle, almost weak..

I ran it in stereo, with the Direct Output going to one amp, and the Flanged Output going to the other amp.

I know that Andy is a big & famous user of the Electric Mistress, so how does he make his flanger sound so big? Or does he use an echo unit with it as well or something?

• Members

I believe he uses it with echo. Have you tried using it mono or in an effects loop? Try everything maxed out and tweak accordingly

I'll try it in mono as well as the effects loop tonight. Thanks for the advice :thu:

• Members

using two amps is probably why it's subtle. mine is only subtle if i set it that way, but i run it in mono. i think you probably have too much of the dry signal mixed in which is masking the flanged sounds. i've been able to cop some police tones out of it though, so i know it's possible.

• Members

I've never heard the word 'subtle' used to describe the DEM. I wonder if your unit needs its trimpots tweaked. I have both the original 18v version and a vintage deluxe, and neither unit could be described as weak or subtle, and the difference between them is not that extreme.

• Members

using two amps is probably why it's subtle. mine is only subtle if i set it that way, but i run it in mono. i think you probably have too much of the dry signal mixed in which is masking the flanged sounds. i've been able to cop some police tones out of it though, so i know it's possible.

I guess so.

I wonder why it has a direct output then, for stereo, if it makes it subtle?

Thanks for your help. :)

• Members

Most Chorus pedals can probably be tweaked to get close to Summer's flanged sound. But as others have said, he did use the original wedge-shaped Mistress. He could have had his modified too (though I'm not sure on that), which would make his sound even more difficult to nail. I found this site pretty useful as far as describing Andy's gear and what possible settings he may use. Lots of cool info.

http://web.tiscali.it/andatta/menu.htm

• Members

Ok I see. Well Summers would be the first one I would look to as well as far as getting a great sound out of the Mistress. He did use compression quite often and almost always had an echo unit to really make the Mistress shimmer. I love the sound I can get with my own Deluxe model (although I've been having issues with it cutting out lately). I think you could get some great sounds out of it if you mess around with it enough.

• Members

Gilmour's use of a Leslie gives you more of a flange effect than his actual flange pedal. Duplicating the tone without the leslie is a losing battle, but you can definately get close enough to fool the typical audience.

• Members

Gilmour's use of a Leslie gives you more of a flange effect than his actual flange pedal. Duplicating the tone without the leslie is a losing battle, but you can definately get close enough to fool the typical audience.

I forgot about that. Yeah, that would make a big difference.

Archived