Best Place for boost pedal in chain

TimCz

• Members

Hey all... im doing some massive changes in my board... moving stuff to the effects loop and keeping some things in front.

So in front im going to use

vox wah

MI blues pro

MI boost and buff

Line 6 mm4.

delays etc. are now in the loop.

So i was going to run int vox -> blues pro -> mm4 but wasnt sure if the boost should go before the vox or after it.

Any help?

Tim

• Members

It depends on what you want to boost, and how you're using the amp. There's no real way around simply trying, I'm afraid :D

If you want to boost the guitar, to get more dirt from your dirt boxes but not a whole lot of extra volume, try it right after the wah. Depending on how the dirt boxes are set, you will get anything from a big jump in volume to basically just more distortion.

If you want to boost volume, place the boost after the point where distortion is generated. This can be right after the dirt boxes (if you run the amp more of less clean) or in a serial fx loop (if you use preamp distortion, or if you absolutely only want a volume jump without any other change in tone).

Personally, I like running my amps cooking just a little (clean-ish), and place my boost right after my overdrives. That way, when I hit the boost - regardless of if I'm clean or dirty - the amp will cook a little more :cool:

/Andreas

• Members

why the mm4 out front?

Good question - ive just always had it that way really. My (soon to be) new amp has 4 effects loops that i can use, so i run a pedal into each one, and turn the loops on/off as needed. So in those im running 2 delays, a reverb and a chorus.

Plus the switching is easier for me if its right at my feet. Its last in the chain atm.

• Members

I would agree too with Andreas. Experiement. I've done the same, will probably do some more. I have a BBE Boosta Grande. It's after my wah, envelope filter and Monsterpiece Fuzz (tried having the fuzz as early in the chain as possible). My Boosta Grande is here. Then more dirt; OD-3, Screwdriver, Reeza, OD-3 Big Muff, VOl pedal, then EQ. I put the eq last to act as sort of another boost, if I need it after my vol pedal. Not sure I need it or not, still sorting.

I like the boost early, because it does make each overdrive/distortion pedal a little nastier. By itself, boosting a clean signal, I don't think it makes much difference where it's in the chain. I've not tried a boost in the effects loop. I used to keep all of my modulation/delay/eq in the loop, but have since changed that. SOunds better all out front. Bu your amp sounds different, what is it by the way?

• Members

Bu your amp sounds different, what is it by the way?

Hah yeah andrew your right. Ive ordered it through Sean (ausguitarman)

One of the new MI Audio revelation amps. Sweet peice of gear. Cant wait till it arrives. 2 weeks ive been told.

Archived