Distortion suggestions needed for Deluxe Reverb RI!

rokknrola

• Members

have been playing Marshalls and Mesas for years but came across a deal I couldn't pass up so I picked up a Fender Deluxe Rev Reissue. Fenders are obviously known for their cleans but current band plays mostly hard rock covers.

I need a good overdrive and strong distortion solution for rhythm and lead work that would work well with this amp. I'm afraid that many distorions will sound thin or fizzy mixed with this thing.

Suggestions? Thanks!

• Members

MI Audio Crunchbox for distortion.

I have one on the way to combine with a Vox, so I haven't played it yet myself. But the clips on Pro Guitar Shop sound great.

Many others here recommend the Crunchbox for Marshall-style distortion. Or a Zvex Box of Rock....

• Members

CATMODS Brownie for distortion - so sweet! - and tons of gain. There are so many great overdrives that it's hard to recommend one. My current fave is the Signa Drive. Chad's pedals are great and pretty cheap compared to a lot of boutique pedals. I'm waiting on a Toadworks Li'l Leo, which is supposed to sound like a classic Fender amp dimed. I'll let you know.

• Members
CATMODS Brownie for distortion - so sweet! - and tons of gain. There are so many great overdrives that it's hard to recommend one. My current fave is the Signa Drive. Chad's pedals are great and pretty cheap compared to a lot of boutique pedals. I'm waiting on a Toadworks Li'l Leo, which is supposed to sound like a classic Fender amp dimed. I'll let you know.

yeah, this one seems pretty interesting to me. I've listened to a couple of clips.

• Members
MI Audio Crunchbox for distortion.

I have one on the way to combine with a Vox, so I haven't played it yet myself. But the clips on Pro Guitar Shop sound great.

Many others here recommend the Crunchbox for Marshall-style distortion. Or a Zvex Box of Rock....

I'll try to hunt down some clips of these now. Thanks for the suggestions

• Members

I had a Crunchbox, then I got the Brownie and sold the Crunchbox. To my ears the Brownie is a bit smoother and more "natural" sounding. Both have lots of gain and are great pedals for the $$$. I have an MI Audio Blues Pro that I like a lot but prefer the Signa Drive for the same reasons.

• Members
I had a Crunchbox, then I got the Brownie and sold the Crunchbox. To my ears the Brownie is a bit smoother and more "natural" sounding. Both have lots of gain and are great pedals for the $$$. I have an MI Audio Blues Pro that I like a lot but prefer the Signa Drive for the same reasons.

Thanks for the opinion here. I just listened to the Brownie clip on the website and that does sound really good. Hmmm...

Anyone else like the Brownie over the Crunchbox for good high gain distortion?

• Members

Anastasio used two TS9s through his Deluxe Reverb in the mid to late 90's. One set for a "rhythm" drive, if you can call it that, and one gained high for his solos/sustain/feedback through his hollowbody.

Granted, Phish didn't play hard rock, but the overdriven sound he used probably would be pretty useful in some chugga-chugga music, and certainly for cutting high-gain solos.

You might find a place for this rig AB'd with another amp for your chugga-chugga stuff, then switch over to the Anastasio rig for sweetness in your high gain solos.