The OD disease

• Members

I was thinking of overdrives I've bought then sold in the last few years and decided I've truly lost my mind. I think the real Holy Grail might be easier to find. Here are some:

Zendrive

Mosferatu

Hotcake

Menatone Red Snapper

Aramat Green Machine

Keeley Fuzz Head

FD II

Analogman SD-1

HBE UFO

Modded TS9

Guess I'd like to know who's sicker than me.

• Members

what does this tell you?

There is NO holy grail, just intangible sounds that people make up in their minds and trying to duplicate on their instruments to no avail. The situation is even worse when they go and try out their new found love on another amp only to find that magic has disappeared. Instead of settling with a solid pedal and making the best of it, you see many people chasing after ghosts and ultimately end up with a big hole in their money pocket.

no thanks

• Members

what does this tell you?

There is NO holy grail, just intangible sounds that people make up in their minds and trying to duplicate on their instruments to no avail. The situation is even worse when they go and try out their new found love on another amp only to find that magic has disappeared. Instead of settling with a solid pedal and making the best of it, you see many people chasing after ghosts and ultimately end up with a big hole in their money pocket.

no thanks

So true! There is no perfect pedal.

• Members

what does this tell you?

no thanks

Well put!:thu:

• Members

I am the same way. I can't seem to find an OD that has enough note clarity for me. I'm wondering if I should just start to play clean all the time...or say screw it and get a Tube Screamer and be done with it. :mad:

• Members

I've got a few right now, let me count... No order at all, just as I can remember 'em.

1. & 2. Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive (I like it so much I bought another for a different amp's signal chain)

3. Danelectro Wasabi Distortion

4. Danelectro Fab Tone Distortion (the cockroach colored, metal one that nobody loves but me :love:)

5. Aramat Effects Mojo Fuzz

6. Damage Control Liquid Blues

7. Damage Control Solid Metal

8. Zoom Tri-Metal

And on the way, I've got an Aramat Green Machine, Aramat Soul Patch, and Aramat Dual Master treble booster (counts as a dirt pedal, right? it adds harmonic distortion :D)

Maybe I am pushing it, with 11 dirts. I accused someone on here with 13 dirt pedals once of being crazy, look at me now. The only thing "crazy" is what being around here for a year will do to a guy. Although I'll say that many of my current dirt pedals aren't exactly HC top picks :lol: I have this nasty habit of trying a bunch of different things in my setup and keeping around the ones I like... I could make an absurd looking "Distortion units you've used in the past" list, but that's the way the tone search goes, right?

I can say that some of the ones I've let go, I want back. The Guv'Nor being top of that list, probably. I intend on picking up a Danelectro Daddy-O, with its "strong resemblance" to the Guv'Nor to see what the wizards at Dan-o did with that pedal. I love their treatment of the Metalzone in the Fab Tone.

• Members

For me, I've spent so much money on pedals to compensate for a mediocre amp, I could have bought an amp with the right tone long ago. But then there are those few truly amazing pedals that do make a difference but for me, it's because I've been working backwards.

• Members

I have an old Randall for metal, my THD Univalve for nearly anything, and a 100W Peavey tube amp for ungodly loud :lol:

I guess I could get a Splawn or something, but the fact is I like the sounds I'm getting now. I don't use all my pedals in one chain, I've got individual pedal chains for each of my amps depending on what sounds I make with that amp. Hence the range of dirt pedals and different types.

Plus, I've lately decided that the Peavey and my 4x12 are going to have to take a walk, and I'm going to going with a computer-centered setup for the larger part, and pedals work great into a computer in front of the DI with today's modelers (not so great into the old Pod or Pod 2.0, but modeling has come a long way), whereas having a gig-worthy amp is a bit overkill if you're just going to be running its direct out into an impulse response.

The fact is, for me, I really can't get the sounds of some of those pedals out of amps. They're... "unique." Some in a bad way, but in a way that I still like. Like amps are all (mostly) unique, you know? Except a hell of a lot cheaper for the same relative degree of versatility.

• Members

The Barber LTD. was DAMN near perfect for what I was wanting, but always missed a little something w/ the notes decaying and the compression. I got a TIMMY in the mail about a week ago and can honestly say that it is EXACTLy what I have been looking for. It sounds perfect to my ears. I will not be buying another overdrive pedal for a LONGGG time. I love kicking it on.

Archived