Downsizing feels rul good.

DylanWilde

• Members

So, despite my various wah, volume, and treble boost posts recently, I decided to take a hint from George Costanza and do the opposite. I looked at my board, realized that all I do is decide about pedals, fidget with pedals, obsess about settings and I don't play the way I used to, I don't actually work the guitar and focus in the way I think I should be. So I changed some {censored} up.

I went from two boards (One with 6 pedals, the other with 4) and a reverb pedal on top of the amp to a single board with 7 pedals and a reverb and EQ on top of the amp.

Now this isn't exactly a huge downsizing by any means, I realistically only dropped my old wah and my compressor along with a good deal of space, but it FEELS really different. It just seems to work in a way that things didn't before, and I feel like even though the compressor was a subtle help, I am getting my dynamics back, and my bass player could realistically use it more anyway. The EX7 is pulling all possible expression pedal duties, and doing a great job of it, so I figured my standard crybaby could take a backseat, hopefully permanently. But yeah, things are looking pretty good this way.

I just realized that there was no need to post this, but hey, I am bored as {censored} and excited about my new layout. Anyone else downsizing and feeling good about it?

• Members

Personally, I prefer smaller pedal boards. Options are great, but one can do a lot with a little (plus, I'm a bit of a minimalist).

I'm in the process of putting together a very small pedal board -- I'm thinking of a NYC Lunchbox!! So small. Use my Vox amp for tremolo and reverb (though might get a supplemental reverb pedal too). Probably 4-5 pedals max, that's including a tuner!

Admittedly, this is primarily for home playing and demo recording, not playing out. I'm actually playing mostly bass with my band, not guitar... (for now)

So downsize and see how creative you can get! You can always build back up if you want.... Have fun with it.

• Members

i'm definitely downsizing to a pt jr. i've been facing terrible temptation recently, but it'll happen. i've had a terrible hard on for smaller boards, so i'm cutting down and seeing how much more i can do with a small board.

• Members

I think the best way to go would probably be a small board plus a big cabinet full of pedals. That way you can make new boards frequently and swap things in and out but still have the simplicity of just a couple pedals to deal with while playing.

Agreed.

• Members

I like the idea of downsizing. Just can't quite do it. I think it becomes easier though, sort of what Destructobot mentioned, you keep an arsenal of pedals available, but assemble just what you need for the moment (as long as you aren't swapping out pedals all the time, that will be even more distracting). Having a core of good pedals helps, and really knowing their capabilities helps too. I just discovered for example, the wide range of my Monsterpiece Classic and NPN Fuzz, and by actually turning the fuzz control all the way up, and in conjunction with an eq bass boost, I got it to sound a lot like my Big Muff (only better). SO maybe I should remove the BM from my board? (Actually I am soon, for a LBM, but maybe I won't need it either.)

I find I do like a variety of dirt, from fuzz, to OD to heavier distortion, so I can't quite eliminate all of them. And for modulation, I mostly use delay (and I'm adding an analog delay soon) and tremolo. The occassional chorus and phaser too. So I could downsize, and maybe I should, and if I did gig out, I would want something smaller. But I only play at home now, so I figure, why not have options?

Kinda like an artist who paints - do you want a wide palette, (which could be distracting) or do you want to paint like a certain Picasso period, and use only shades of one color? (which could be limiting)

• Members

Now this isn't exactly a huge downsizing by any means, I realistically only dropped my old wah and my compressor along with a good deal of space, but it FEELS really different.

So you went from 11 to 9 pedals, huh?! :rolleyes::lol:

I was playing in a Pink Floyd tribute for a while and my pedal board grew considerably as you might guess. Playing originals previously I used 4-5 pedals, then trying to cover Gilmour's sounds (mind you, I did say "trying") I was up to 13-15 at any time. After I left the band, I dropped to about 10 right away, then have been trimming down slowly after that. I usually have a board with about 7 now.

Then about a week ago, I plugged my OCD into my DSL100 and a DMM in the amp's loop... and it sounded great! :love: :love: :love: I have a new band forming. Depending on the songs we're playing, I'm seriously thinking about RMC3>MojoVibe>OCD>DSL100 input, and then the DMM in the loop. 4 pedals! I might throw in an EH DEM as well, but that's a big maybe.. Even then it's only 5 pedals tops. From 15 down to 5 is downsizing!! :thu: And I'm enjoying myself more as I'm focusing on playing, phrasing, dynamics. etc... not just trying to turn these 2 pedals off and those 3 on, etc...

Effects should depend on the music, not the player depending on the effects.

• Members

I downsized .... then upsized .... then downsized again ... then upsized .... then downsi .... you get the idea.

Right now I've got 12 pedals on a PT2 and I'm happy w/ my sound. And IMO, that's what's important.

• Members

yeah, i'm thinking about doing the same getting like an FX 17, a compressor, OD, fuzz, boost, analog delay. And I guess i have to have a tuner. If that counts. So like 7. Not too bad. Especially compared to some of the stuff I've seen on here. Total overkill w/all the little boutique pedal shops disguised as pedalboards.

• Members

I need to kick some dirt off my board but I just can't stand to do it. I have a tuner, RAT-ish dirt, Eric's Melx pedal, pretty soon a Shredmaster clone, comp and boost ... that's six pedals just for the base signal. Ugh.

I had that going. I mean, I had 5 dirtboxes on my board awhile back. That had to go. :lol:

I get a lot of tones out of the three I've got now. The Keeley Fuzz Head is a good fuzz when it's cranked, but acts like a nice drive/boost with the volume rolled back. Then I get everything from light overdrive to full-on Marshall w/ the Box of Rock. And I can get high gain fuzz tones and a lot of cool texture out of the Mayo. I dig! :thu:

I do have a lot of delay now though. RV-3 > DMM > DD-7.

FH > BoR > Mayo > Semaphore > EBVPjr > Crxsh Bxxst > RV-3 > DMM > TU-2 > DD-7 > RC-2

This was a nice board:

n161501268_31205518_8522.jpg

• Members

I think it would help me downsizing, but I just love to fiddle. I think if you enjoy your tone, then it's all good. I have a PTJr in storage, but I just feel that I'm surviving on the 2 at the moment without TOO much tone suck, so why worry?

Archived