School me on RATs

Taylor.

• Members

i have an 80's small box assembled (?) by 'woodcutter' that lords above my other distortion when i'm playing my tele deluxe w/ mini-humbuckers. however it doesn't sound as good when i'm playing it with p90s. so it's currently out of the chain, but ready for the studio.

just goes to show it depends on what you need: i can say it gives you plenty of gain, in any case. and being a sonic youth fan i've wanted to experiment with the turbo rat for some time now.. too bad the old ones are all going up in price, i got my rat only a few years back on ebay for under $60. not now!

• Members

I have a basic Proco Rat, bought new a couple of years ago. Like ConcretePH I'm into stuff like Sonic Youth and this pedal is great for getting some harsh tones. The filter knob basically cuts frequencies as you turn it, just as you'd expect from any basic filter control. I tend to play it fully 'open', but depending on what sound you're looking for there's a wide range of tones to be had from just that one knob. It's the only pedal I really use - although I'll probably expand on it in time.

• Members

The Filter knob will raise Treble when turned CCW & Bass when CW. The gainest one of all, and my own personal favorite is the Turbo Rat.

Try to find an older one with an original LM308n chip or buy or newer version (hopefully a made in the USA one) and have it modd'd with one.

The good thing about RATs IMO, is that they can cover alot of ground (OD all the way to Fuzz and almost anything in between) and don't take up alot of space on your board.

• Members

I just got a Chupacabra (modded RAT pedal from Lovekraft) and I like it a lot more than I did my Keeley RAT. For one thing I like that it has a tone pot instead of the filter. It can get super smooth and infinite sustain on higher settings. For the money involved I think it's a great pedal.

Archived