Double New Pedal Day: MrSpringgy and Earthquaker content

JVanDe7

• Members

0095_1.JPG

http://www.leejackson.com/MrSpringgy_pedal.html

Pedal #1 - Mr Springgy reverb pedal.

A little pricey for a 1-knob pedal, but the reverb is really natural sounding. Very Fender spring style reverb. Analog and organic sounding. I am using a standard 9v adapter instead of a battery, which was suggested by Lee Jackson for best results. The knob takes you from completely dry signal, to a large-hall type of reverb when maxed. Sounds just like the best built-in amp reverb you've ever heard.

Very well-built too. I'll try to post some gut shots sometime but everything is at my new practice space so we'll see if I remember to bring the camera. I wish it was slightly less expensive and I can't help but wonder what the Verbzilla would sound like in comparison, but I think I made the right choice here. Great pedal.

Dirt.html

http://www.earthquakerdevices.com/devices/dirt.htm

Pedal # 2 - Dirt Transmitter fuzzdriver.

CORRECTION: This is a silicon fuzz, NOT germanium.

Pretty kickass fuzz here. Very well built. Again, I'll try to remember to take some pics of the guts next time I'm at the practice space. It appears to have 2 germanium transistors, a diode (probably to protect the Ge trannies) and the usual suspects- metal film resistors and polyfilm caps and some electrolytic caps, etc. It has knobs for Bias, Fuzz, Level and Tone. Very cool command-center graphics, bitchin green LED, and takes a 9v battery or adapter (I always use batteries with fuzz pedals since they don't take much juice and they always seem to sound better). The bias knob can give you some sputter if you set it left of 12 o clock, or if you max it the other way (clockwise) it smooths out the fuzz a bunch. TONS of volume available. Not a subtle fuzz at all, very good for stoner rock. Doesn't play well with my Wah, which is to be expected from a Germanium fuzz. I dig it, and I'm happy to support hand made pedals from the midwest. I want to check out his Hoof Fuzz next. :thu:

• Members

It's badass. I was able to play with it for a couple hours today and really like most of what I heard. It can sound kinda synth-like at certain settings and those were my least favorite sounds, but not because they were bad. And every pedal has settings that will make it sound "not the greatest" but most of what it can do is excellent. The bias knob is nice. There is excessive amounts of volume available. Cool graphics and alien green LED. Great for stoner rock sounds/fuzz. It does not do much with a wah but that is typical of germanium fuzzes. All I need now is a silicon fuzz face (probably the Fulltone 70) and a big muff type fuzz (almost certainly the Hoof Fuzz), and then my fuzz collection will be complete. Temporarily of course... :)

CORRECTION: Again, this is a silicon fuzz, NOT germanium.

Current fuzz lineup-

Tonebender (PNP MKII clone, 2-knob germanium)

TBK Fuzz (Maestro MFZ clone, diode clipping fuzz)

Earthquaker Dirt Transmitter (heavy silicon fuzz)

• Members

The DT is more modern sounding. Also the DT is a silicon transistor fuzz, whereas the Maestro uses diode clipping in the feedback circuit of an opamp. Different kind of fuzz. They are both awesome fuzzes, just different.

The DT has a more "boutique" look with the bright green LED and the fancy graphics. I like the DT but I need to spend more time with it to see if I can keep it. My drummer wouldn't stop playing for more than 10 seconds so I didn't get a chance to really see what the DT was fully capable of.

Check out the soundclips of the Maestro clone at www.myspace.com/handrolledfx

versus the sound clips of the DT at http://www.earthquakerdevices.com/devices/dirt.htm

That should give you an idea of the differences.

• Members

:eek: Wow!

I wish they had a blushing/embarrassed emoticon.

I stand corrected. I only opened it up briefly and took a quick preliminary peek. I apologize for the inaccurate information. Damn I hate when I assume things. Especially when I assume I know everything. :)

Anyhow, I put the Dirt Transmitter through more tests today at practice and I am sorry to inform any of you who may have been waiting in the wings for me to sell it, I am keeping it FOREVER. GLORIUS fuzz pedal!! Seriously. It needs to be tweaked to get the really "dope-ass" settings, but if you have the knack for that sort of thing, or the patience to do a little guess-and-check, you can get some seriously sick fuzz from this beast. Thank you Jamie/EarthquakerDevices. I am sorry to have ever doubted you. The most important thing I learned today is that the Bias knob needs to be finessed into the sweet spot. Bias is not the sort of thing you can just crank the knob once and be done with it, you have to dial that bias in slowly to get just the right amount. Obviously a fuzz with 4 knobs gives you more options than the average fuzz and you have to spend the time getting to know how they interact and take the time to set everything just right.

It sounds very good at just about any setting to be perfectly clear, but then you can really get some good {censored} if you know how or take the time. Again I have to mention the green LED. It lights up my dim practice space with this extraterrestrial glow that really inspires me (along with the raunchy disgusting fuzz) to get down. The command center controls and graphics are a nice touch. Not sure if this pedal's paintjob is green on purpose or not , but it excels at stoner rock fuzz. ;)

In summary, I was thinking about returning the DT back to Earthquaker and buying the Hoof Fuzz instead, but now that I spent some time with it, I realize that I will just have to get them both.

Oh and MAN do I still feel dumb for calling this fuzz germanium. It can do very convincing Ge-fuzz sounds... :freak:

• Members
Yeah, Mr Springgy is great but I wish it was $150 maybe instead of $200 +s/h.

Totally agree. But look at it this way. If you took your girlfriend/wife out for a fancy dinner you'd spend $200 easily. And that is just for one meal. The Mr. Springgy will bring you pleasure for years to come .... or at least until you flip it in the spam thread... :lol:

• Members

Ok, hmm... not sure. Maybe Jamie can help on this one? It works in the traditional sense- clockwise = treble, counterclockwise = bass. I can't really say for sure. Only spent a few hours with it so far. My final answer would be, you should buy one and find out. :)

But seriously, I'm not sure. Hopefully Jamie from Earthquaker will read this and provide some insight as to how it's set up.

• Members
Totally agree. But look at it this way. If you took your girlfriend/wife out for a fancy dinner you'd spend $200 easily. And that is just for one meal. The Mr. Springgy will bring you pleasure for years to come .... or at least until you flip it in the spam thread...
:lol:

Ha! Nicely put.

And nice try with the subliminal spam thread jedi mind trick. :p I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon though. Maybe if I get an amp with good reverb, but I don't see myself going amp shopping anytime soon.

• Members
Ha! Nicely put.

And nice try with the subliminal spam thread jedi mind trick.
:p
I won't be getting rid of it anytime soon though. Maybe if I get an amp with good reverb, but I don't see myself going amp shopping anytime soon.

Ha, busted. You're a wise man Mr. JVanDe7.... :p

Oh, and the bias knob on my Analog Man Peppermint Fuzz is the same way. You definitely need to patiently dial it in, but when you hit the right spot, it's bliss.

Archived