OCD vs. Mi Audio Crunchbox

• Members

They're both very different pedals. I found the Crunchbox very middy and lacking low-end, also rather mushy and flubby sounding, sounds like a cheap distortion box (which it is). I think there's better distortion boxes out there for sure. I found the OCD to sound much better. It's not as high gain, has a lot of low-end (which can be good or bad) which seems to increase the higher you have the gain. Just an overall better tone than the Crunchbox...

• Members

They're both very different pedals. I found the Crunchbox very middy and lacking low-end, also rather mushy and flubby sounding, sounds like a cheap distortion box (which it is). I think there's better distortion boxes out there for sure. I found the OCD to sound much better. It's not as high gain, has a lot of low-end (which can be good or bad) which seems to increase the higher you have the gain. Just an overall better tone than the Crunchbox...

+16516516516

• Members

they are not even similar sounding pedals. these ocd v. crunchbox threads never cease to irritate me. this isnt directed at the original poster- just in general, for the good of the forum.

one is a light distortion, one is a heavy distortion.

which is better- the tubescreamer or the boss metalzone?

apples and footballs.

do some research. the OCD is MUCH more transparent. your amp will sound like your amp. the crunchbox is a heavy distortion pedal with the tendency to color your tone more than your amps tone. that said, i prefer the crunchbox.

they are totally different.:)

• Members
they are not even similar sounding pedals. these ocd v. crunchbox threads never cease to irritate me. this isnt directed at the original poster- just in general, for the good of the forum.

one is a light distortion, one is a heavy distortion.

which is better- the tubescreamer or the boss metalzone?

apples and footballs.

do some research. the OCD is MUCH more transparent. your amp will sound like your amp. the crunchbox is a heavy distortion pedal with the tendency to color your tone more than your amps tone. that said, i prefer the crunchbox.

they are totally different.
:)

Word!:wave:

• Members

Crunch box for the over the top stuff. Once you go inside and screw around in there it really comes alive. The ocd never made it on my board used the barber tone pump instead.Just didn't care for it and I can't remember why. Sorry

• Members

I can't believe people are saying bad things about the Crunchbox
:(
(

I can. Even though I love my Crunchbox, I can see what people are saying. I think the CB would be more effective with an external pot for the presence, as adjusting that is the key to the pedal. I wonder how an EQ pedal would sound after the CB.

As far as the OCD versus the CB, get both. Then you have an overdrive and distortion pedal....

• Members

+1 for whoever said these pedals are starkly different. It's true. Crunch Box is high gain distortion, OCD is overdrive. Check the ProGuitarShop demos of these two pedals on YouTube. I'd usually link them in here, but I'm at my in-laws w/ slow internet, so it'd take forever.

Anyway, I must refute these accusations about the Crunch Box:

1- While there are a good amount of mids, I didn't find them overwhelming.

2- I didn't find it to be lacking low end at all. Really beefed my sound actually.

3- Not mushy. Not flubby. Period.

4- The Crunch Box is the best distortion box I've ever used and is worth more than $100.

I must say though, making the presence knob external might help this pedal ... and that mod has been done. It's quite easy too IIRC.

Also, I haven't played an OCD, so I can't compare them ... but with the gear I'm playing, pretty much everything you said about the Crunch Box is untrue. Different rigs will do different things I understand, and you're not the first to bring up these issues, but in my experience, the Crunch Box killed. Also, there are MANY satisfied Crunch Box users here ... so this may be a setup issue more than anything.

• Members

Wow! Crxshdxmmy knows his {censored}. I will have to agree with him on all four points. The Crunch Box also tends to sound better when you are running your amp hot.

I would re-emphasize that different pedals react differently given their enviroment. i.e. The way each pedal sounds is highly dependent on the amplifier and guitar that is being used.

The OCD vs Crunch Box is such a hot topic that we will definitely be doing a comparison video of them. Look for comparison videos within a couple of weeks. We need to get some switching systems to add and remove pedals from the signal chain.

Here are the videos of the two pedals.

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE][YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Wow! Crxshdxmmy knows his shit. I will have to agree with him on all four points. The Crunch Box also tends to sound better when you are running your amp hot.

I would re-emphasize that different pedals react differently given their enviroment. i.e. The way each pedal sounds is highly dependent on the amplifier and guitar that is being used.

The OCD vs Crunch Box is such a hot topic that we will definitely be doing a comparison video of them. Look for comparison videos within a couple of weeks. We need to get some switching systems to add and remove pedals from the signal chain.

Thanks Aaron! :cool:

It's just that I've owned both versions of the Crunch Box and both of my experiences were almost exactly opposite of what houseofglass described. Then again, I'm playing a modified 15watt Tube amp and using humbucker'd Gibson's. For all I know, if you use a strat & a 1/2 stack ... it might sound terrible. Just going from my experiences. (I did play it with a nice strat though -- Mark Knopfler loaded w/ Texas Specials -- and it sounded GREAT!!! I didn't really have the same experience with my Tex Mex strat loaded w/ Vintage Noiseless pups. I think the CB likes hot pickups & hot amps.)

• Members

I've had the first 3 version of the OCD and it's definately a great pedal, but when I got the crunchbox v2 I was instantly impressed. It was exactly what I was looking for. I think both pedals are worth trying though.

If you just want straight up crunchiness with your power chords or over the top 80's hair metal sound. Get the crunchbox. You can also dial in or out the mushiness with the presence control. I use it for high gain sounds.

The OCD is great because it's extremely amp like. The notes you play really do feel touch sensitive. I used it for low-med gain sounds.

• Members

I finally was able to get the sound I wanted with the Crunchbox! :thu: I noticed that it works better to not go past 1 o'clock and using my middle pickup. Boosted with my Bad Monkey gives tremendous amount of gain... this is now a keeper!!

• Members

Like I said, haven't played one ... but going off of what I've heard, I'd describe it as an Overdrive w/ a lot of gain. I've gotta say though, there's a fundamental difference between overdrive & distortion that, IMO, a lot of people don't understand.

Per GP review:

"Designed to replicate the dynamics and harmonic structure of an overdriven tube amp, the OCD uses a unique multi-stage distortion circuit, as opposed to the more common diodes-in-feedback-loop/diodes-to-ground configurations"

• Members

Well it's all just opinions, and everyone plays different gear and hears different things. Through my setup, a strat into a loud clean amp, the crunch box was overly fuzzy, lacking in low end, and just messy sounding overall. It just didn't gel with my rig.

I gave it to the other guitarist in my band and he sounds really good with it, Epiphone Sheraton with 57's into a Hotrod Deville. Go figure.

Archived