Satchurator pedal UPDATE: It's good.

JSatch69

• Members

Was at the London Guitar Show today. Was in the presence of Joe. But couldn't get an autograph :( I did shake hands with Jeff Campitelli though (everyone ignored him!). Didn't get to meet Stu Hamm either :((

Anyways, I got to fiddle around with the pedal today with the Vox rep. He was playing through both a clean setting Valvetronix Vox (sounded fair) and a mild crunch setting (standard).

Observations:

- It sounded great through the clean channel, also worked very well with the amp crunch. This pedal works well with others as promised.

- The Satchurator is high gain. At around 12 o clock it was very fat crunch. 2-3 o clock it was HI Gain. Didn't get to hear it dimed.

- The MORE switch is very good. They've nailed it. It's a switch that doesn't boost the level but just the rich distortion. I thought it was very cool.

- The pedal looks and feels excellent. Beautiful and rugged.

- I wouldn't say its Satch in a box - that's impossible. But this is a VERY good pedal for those looking for warm, liquid lead work.

- RELEASE DATE: Late August/September!!!

- PRICE:

• Members

nice price.. i want to hear more of it though. when you say high gain, are we talking stacked DS-1's (i know, i know!) or metal type distortion levels.. MT-2, zombie, trimetal etc?

is there much sweep on the eq? standard tone control or a clockwise = more highs + less bass etc..

• Members

It's definately not like the Tri Metal/MT2 distortion. It's more like REALLY HEAVY rock/or even slightly older metal. I think it could do metal, but not the modern hardcore stuff.

I can't really judge the EQ sweep as I didn't get the opportunity to. The VOX guy had to keep the pedal close to him at all times. Have to say the pedal shined for lead work.

• Members

heh, you'd wonder why Vox would demonstrate it through a Valvetronix amp instead of an AC15 or an AC30.....

I definitely understand why they'd go with a VTX or ADxxVT over an AC-30. Easier for transport (speaking as someone who has shipped an AC-30 or two, they're a bitch and a half to move. The AD120vtx has neydymium speakers, which cuts the weight down by a fair bit), less time spent troubleshooting (1 tube vs however many the AC-30 has), lower price point (more guitarists can afford a valvetronix than an AC-30), more common among gigging musicians (Lots of people have ADVT amps, not as many have AC amps), and probably just easier for Vox to use for these kinds of purposes.

Or Vox are just cheap and decided to send a cheaper amp with the pedal, since the pedal is the star of the demonstration anyway.

I'm kind of excited about the Satchurator though. I'm pretty happy with my Rat for the time being, but it looks like it'd be worth looking at.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The new album has AMAZING tone! I understand why people wouldn't like Surfing with the alien tones (some are really appropriate for the album or song but not so crash for me!). But Super colossal and Musterion have absolutely fantastic tones. I'm really excited about checking this out!

• Members

Satriani has gotten some good tones on CD, but his live tone is like nails on a chaulk board. Thin, shrill and brittle.

I met him once and he was a f*cking arrogant little {censored} in person, absolutely 100% different than what I expected. Too bad, not that I'm going to lose any sleep over it.

• Members

Satriani has gotten some good tones on CD, but his live tone is like nails on a chaulk board. Thin, shrill and brittle.

I met him once and he was a f*cking arrogant little {censored} in person, absolutely 100% different than what I expected. Too bad, not that I'm going to lose any sleep over it.

Really? Wow, I've never heard someone say he was arrogant. He's always come across as the nicest guy and other people's experiences of meeting him have mirrored this. Oh well. I love his live tone.

• Members

Really? Wow, I've never heard someone say he was arrogant. He's always come across as the nicest guy and other people's experiences of meeting him have mirrored this. Oh well. I love his live tone.

He could have just been having a bad day, I know. I was pretty bummed out by his attitude. I was still able to get a guitar signed by him on the back trem plate. This was in '93 or 94'.

Archived