Emergency: Are BD and TS9 basically same thing?

Deeprig9

• Members

I have to give my Blues Driver back to it's rightful owner but have a show to play Wed. so I need to buy another driver asap, no time to shop around and compare this and that. I would just buy another Blues Driver but as long as I'm buying another pedal, wouldn't mind "upgrading". It's going into a solid state clean amp. Would a TS9 just boost the signal with minimal distortion or would it act like the blues driver and get me plenty?

Thanks...

• Members

I'm pretty sure they're slightly different, but I don't know how different. I got a TS9 years ago and it sounded so lame w/ my SS amp, I put it away and forgot about it. I found it years later when I got a tube amp and now I love it. YMMV

• Members
Don't get a tubescreamer if you have a SS amp.

+1 I have limited experience with this but the experience I do have is not positive. TS + SS = :cry: ... seems like it would work but for some reason it doesn't to my ears. If you like the sound of the BD-2 with your amp I would stick with it and save some cash.

• Members
+1 I have limited experience with this but the experience I do have is not positive. TS + SS =
:cry:
... seems like it would work but for some reason it doesn't to my ears. If you like the sound of the BD-2 with your amp I would stick with it and save some cash.

+1
stick with what you know you like,

• Members
That's exactly what I did when I got an original TS9 from a local pawnshop. I plugged it thru a small SS amp. I told the guy the pedal doesn't work. So he sold it to me for $20!
;)

That's a good trick.... I'm gonna use that.

• Members

Regardless of what amp you're using, the TS-9 and BD-2 are quite different animals. The Blues Driver is flatter (with less mids and more highs) and has a wider gain range (it can go cleaner as well as more distorted). The TS-9 has a big hump in the midrange, with reduced treble and a narrower gain range.

I prefer the BD-2 for naturally midrangey amps (Vox, Marshall) and the TS-9 for amps with less mids (Fender). So if you were happy with the tone you got with your friend's BD-2, I'd say get your own :D

/Andreas

• Members

You old dog!

Well as we all know. Pawnshops are crooks, anyways. Well, the mentioned TS9 had a faulty switch after all. That was maybe 8-9 years ago.

Funny thing is, that's the pedal that made me go search the internet for answers. That led me to the Analogman site, to musictoyz, to Harmony Central. Come to think of it...that pedal actually made me spend thousands of dollars!! :mad::lol:

I traded that pedal to analogmike (I believe).

• Members
On a side note. I've never tried a Blues Driver, but I've been fooling around with an SD-1, which I think is a Boss' answer to Ibanez's TS9.

What are the characteristic difference between the BD-2 and SD-1?

The SD-1 and TS-9 are more or less the same circuit, while the BD-2 is completely different from both. Both the Tube Screamer and Super Overdrive are single gain stage op-amp clippers, while the Blues Driver has several cascaded gain stages.

Compared to the TS-9, the SD-1 has a bit more gain, which is partially offset by its assymmetrical clipping, and a little more treble emphasis. But you can clearly hear that they are (quite closely) related. The BD-2 is a very different animal - more refined and modern sounding, with a flatter frequency response. It sort of reminds me of the difference between a cranked single-channel Marshall vs a Mesa on the lead channel - both are good sounds, but very different :D

/Andreas

• Members

Thanks all, I just got home with my new Blues Driver! You all answered my questions very well. I had a slight impression that the BD was boss's imitation of the TS9, but now I'm educated!!!!

The BD does sound awesome through the JC120. They marry well. I've tried Big Muff and two different Rat's with it, not so good. The BD I borrowed (the reason for this post, I have to give it back last second before a show in 2 days) goes very well with the JC. Can't ask for much more out of it.

Thanks again!

• Members

For anyone else who comes along in the future and stumbles upon this topic:

With strat or tele into the Blues Driver and into the JC120 (direct, not loop), we play anything from 1950's rock to 80's pop-metal, and some punk. Delay pedal used for a little thickness doesn't hurt.

• Members
The SD-1 and TS-9 are more or less the same circuit, while the BD-2 is completely different from both. Both the Tube Screamer and Super Overdrive are single gain stage op-amp clippers, while the Blues Driver has several cascaded gain stages.

Compared to the TS-9, the SD-1 has a bit more gain, which is partially offset by its assymmetrical clipping, and a little more treble emphasis. But you can clearly hear that they are (quite closely) related. The BD-2 is a very different animal - more refined and modern sounding, with a flatter frequency response. It sort of reminds me of the difference between a cranked single-channel Marshall vs a Mesa on the lead channel - both are good sounds, but very different
:D

/Andreas

I agree, the SD-1 has a bit more gain. Thanks Andreas, as always! :thu:

• Members

try both of them at once!

I may just have to try that! I've definately got some situations where I need crunch rhythm and louder solo shred in the same song, I just use my volume knob on the guitar for that.... which has it's drawbacks, of course.... hmmm... maybe next paycheck the IRA sits idle waiting for another downturn, and I pick up the TS9 in addition to the BD!

Archived