OT: Recording and hosting of your music

SylphCo.

• Members

Right.

It's time for some recording.

Sadly, all I have in that department is a {censored}ty sound card and Adobe Audition. I've discovered that there are many ways of structuring the necessary components. Simple USB/1394 audio interface, mixers with audio interface, multi-track recorders, and everything in between. It seems the main choice is how much of the system is hardware and how much is software. I believe I'm looking for a setup that will allow simultaneous recording of a full band; something like three vocals, two guitars, bass, and drums, though live drums aren't a priority right now.

Question: what are the components of your recording setup?

Anything from recording a band to a quick pedal demo. Which types of devices are between your guitar and your computer? Which DAW do you use? What are its strengths? How much of your music comes from programming and manipulation of recorded material, rather than using tracks as recorded? Do any of you use self-contained MTR's?

Question: which music sharing site do you use to host your music/demos? Is it any good?

I think that's everything.

Thanks.

• Members

I've just gotten an Echo Audiofire 8, with a shure sm57.

I did a lot of research on interfaces and that seems to be the best for the money.

I'll be using this with my Macbook Pro.

I'm just a home noodler though.

How much did you pay for each of those? It's hard to get such things in New Zealand at less than ridiculous prices.

• Members

i've been using a Motu 828mk2 interface for about 4 years now as part of my home recording setup.

i'm using it with a PC running Cubase for multitrack recording and Adobe Audition for editing.

the Motu has 2 decent mic preamps built in, and 8 Line inputs so you can hook up some preamps (or a mixer with direct outputs) for 10 inputs straight away - should be more than enough to record a 'live' band going by your 1st post.

i'm using the Motu with a Mackie Onyx mixer (for 8 preamps and monitoring) and also an RME AD/DA converter (via ADAT) and some other preamps for upto 18 inputs at once. that's far more than i've ever needed to use - even when i've recorded a 6-piece band.

• Members

i've been using a Motu 828mk2 interface for about 4 years now as part of my home recording setup.

i'm using it with a PC running Cubase for multitrack recording and Adobe Audition for editing.

the Motu has 2 decent mic preamps built in, and 8 Line inputs so you can hook up some preamps (or a mixer with direct outputs) for 10 inputs straight away - should be more than enough to record a 'live' band going by your 1st post.

i'm using the Motu with a Mackie Onyx mixer (for 8 preamps and monitoring) and also an RME AD/DA converter (via ADAT) and some other preamps for upto 18 inputs at once. that's far more than i've ever needed to use - even when i've recorded a 6-piece band.

That's some rather nice gear.

Is Cubase somewhat lacking in its editing abilities? Which model is the mixer?

• Members

How much did you pay for each of those? It's hard to get such things in New Zealand at less than ridiculous prices.

Well, I'm in Australia so, taking advantage of the exchange rate.

The Audiofire 8 was $500 AUD shipped from the USA. And the Shure SM57 was $120 I think, but that was bought on ebay AU.

• Members

Well, I'm in Australia so, taking advantage of the exchange rate.

The Audiofire 8 was $500 AUD shipped from the USA. And the Shure SM57 was $120 I think, but that was bought on ebay AU.

Good move. Where'd you buy from? It's hard to find stores that will ship out of the States.

• Members

The dollar is going down, so best take advantage of the exchange rate as soon as possible.

If I can find places that'll ship what I want to New Zealand...

Brands with distributors here often don't allow that sort of thing, and some places aren't willing to ship big-ish things like mixers to the land of the long white cloud.:cry:

Then again, I have some money in an American bank account, so it's win-win for me.:thu:

• Members

That's some rather nice gear.

Is Cubase somewhat lacking in its editing abilities? Which model is the mixer?

thanks. :thu:

Cubase SX-and-later versions are very good for audio editing - however, when i started using recording software, i was using Cubase VST3 which wasn't that great for audio.

i started using Cool Edit (and then Cool Edit Pro) alongside it for detailed editing. when Adobe bought Cool edit, i carried on using it more out of habit than anything... plus, Audition has some useful tools (such as the excellent noise reduction) that Cubase lacks. i can also use Audition to edit samples (with loop points etc) for use in my sampler.

as to your other question, i'm using a Mackie Onyx 1620 mixer. this has 8 excellent preamps that are on a par with standalone preamps costing much more.

onyx-1620.jpg

• Members

I expect 99% access myspace with no issues, but to me it's a black hole for music. Have access to 3 PCs, 1 is dialup and myspace's non-cache makes that useless, 2 are old and report excess slowdown due to the crap Flash -- even though all can youtube without problems except slowness.

The music sites can help at getting some more traffic to your page -- at least if your band name starts with AA.

• Members

I've been seriously considering this. Or possibly a Boss GT-PRO/GT-10.

Lack of an external loop on the desktop X3 makes the lack of effects-order switchy-ness too much of a drawback for me.

Is there any problem with running the two channels in series?

Archived