someone explain guitar rig to me, please

mmmmmchina

• Members

the school i'm going to next year gives everyone an apple notebook with protools, so i will soon have a dedicated music computer.

i'd like to use guitar rig to get most of my effects as opposed to pedals or rack gear (except dirt, fuzz, and an analog delay). what confuses me however is how you go about placing guitar rig in your signal chain.

i'd like to run it in the loop of my fender prosonic in a true bypass loop. that way i could kick in in without any other sort of foot pedal or remove it from my signal whenever i want.

is this possible? oh and my fx loop is line level.

• Members

You need an audio interface for starters. With a laptop, you'll need a firewire one (or expresscard, I suppose) for low latency.

If you buy guitar rig with the foot controller, you can use that as an audio interface. If you just get the software, you'll need a separate audio/midi interface, and a midi foot controller.

I'm assuming you are going to buy the whole thing, i.e. with the Rig Kontrol foot controller. That has its own interface built in, so you can run that in your effects loop. I believe you can setup a master bypass, too (or a "bypass" patch at least)

• Members

ah sorry i forgot to mention the interface i'll have... M-Audio MobilePre USB

i'd like to run it without a foot controller and turn effects on/off via the computer itself. then i'd use a true bypass loop pedal as a master switch for whether guitar rig is part of the signal chain or not.

so it would go... guitar > pedals > amp loop: true bypass box > mobilePre

possible?

• Members

ah sorry i forgot to mention the interface i'll have... M-Audio MobilePre USB

i'd like to run it without a foot controller and turn effects on/off via the computer itself. then i'd use a true bypass loop pedal as a master switch for whether guitar rig is part of the signal chain or not.

so it would go... guitar > pedals > amp loop: true bypass box > guitar rig

possible?

Yeah definitely. The controls are a little hard to switch on the computer on the fly (requires precision mousing) so you might rethink the midi controller at some point, but suit yourself. A True-Bypass loop doesn't care what kind of signal is running through it, so if you are in a line-level effects loop, using a line-level interface (yes) everything should work dandy.

• Members

sick. you're right i may rethink the foot controller eventually. but at first i'd like to save the cash and floor space and see how things go.

this seems like the ideal setup for me...

- analog delay and fuzz stompboxes

- amp dirt

- limitless digital effects... that can be removed from the signal chain at any time

• Members

and this is all run completely independently of protools? or can i use them together?

i've used guitar rig in protools as a plug-in for post production effects before... so i assume it can do the same in realtime with protools open.

oh and... how does protools work on the fly? will recorded and edited audio in protools be able to playback through guitar rig and then my amp?

• Members

Guitar Rig works as a native application for live use, I haven't ever tried it in a host app. I'm assuming Pro Tools works pretty well on the fly (I use different software for DAW). I imagine that the question of whether they will work simultaneously really depends on how fast your computer is.

• Members

Damn. Pretty pricey.

But, I've spent twice that on EHX pedals alone...Maybe it's not so steep after all.
:lol:

Music software is incredibly pricey. You can download an *ahem* evaluation version... from certain places on the internet. This might give you an idea of whether or not it's worth the money.

Archived