digitech rp90

• Members

Can anyone help me with a basic beginners guide around the above.The original instructions are inadequate(for me),very much a newbie ta M.S.

I have the 70 (same as 90 but minus the expression pedal). So other than the pedal, I can give you a quick tutorial.

First off, it has 100 preset sounds, and 1-50 match 51-100. The forst 50 are re-programmable (storable, save sounds you create), the latter half are set in the memory as factory sounds. The big black stomp pedals cycle through these, up and down.

To create your own sound, there are several options:

1.) You can use the manual (save it--you WILL need it eventually), and cycle through the tone library and effects library. Simply push one of those buttons, then cycle through the category with the SMALL up/down buttons in the center just under the red LED light. The tones and effects are listed in the book by number. Just pick the number you want for tone and effect. Example: Clean/Bright for tone and Phase/Delay fopr effect will give you a nice crisp, watery psychedellic sound--from there you can tweek it using the edit button.

2.) If you have learned how to modify the set sounds using the edit button to the left, you can cycle through each effect and turn them all off, basically giving you a straight sound from your amp, then start from scratch and add effects.

To edit preset facory sounds and then save them you need to know what the buttons do.

Edit up/down--bottom left-- consider this the "channel changer" as you press it in one direction, a small light will begin to round the half circle of confusing things. Each of these is like a channel, with various effects within it. On each "channel" you hit the up/down selector labelled "value". This will start to display weird codes in the main display area. Like "P4" or "HS" or "U6" depending on which channel you are on. This is why you need the manual ( you can download it at digitech if you've lost it or chucked it). The manual will tell you which settings each channel has.

Examples: 1.) one of the first channels is pickup/wah. Depending on where you place the value (small up/down buttons under main display) on this channel, it will change your pickup sound from either humbucker over to single coil, or vice versa. If you have the expression pedal, you can set up a wah sound and some other stuff for it, too. I use it to change my pickups only on certain sounds, when I want to make my LP sound more like a tele or strat.

2.) another important one is amp/distortion. This will cycle through various amp "sound copies"to give your amp a different feel. There are some good ones here, but don't think you're getting a Tweed Deluxe just because the book says it makes that sound. You'll get 9 steps in each. 1 being the least gain/distortion and 9 being the most. So if you use the edit button to get the little red dot to this "channel", then start hitting the value up/down button and watch the weird codes pop up. The book will tell you which code represents what. Like I think "E-1/E-9" is a mesa boogie amp, 1 being a little overdrive and 9 being more like power metal. There are also pedals on this channel after the amps. Simply look in the book to see which pedal/amp sound you want and throw it in there.

And after writing this for the last 15 minutes instead of playing my own guitar, I realized that I bought the thing and used the book and the brains in my skull that I was born with and figured it out for myself, so why the hell am I re-writing you a manual when you already have one. Don't be lazy!!! Read the book!! That's why it comes with it.

Basically, all you need to do is use edit to change channels and value up/down to alter each effect within that channel. Get a sound you want, then hit store. the LED will blink a number. Use the pedal to cycle through a number between 1-50 where you want your sound, and hit store again. Presto! That sound will remain in there at that number until you save over it or sell it on ebay.

Be patient. It's a great toy, and not nearly as complex as it seems. As for drums, you're on your own. Buttons, value, edit. Tempo, pattern. Do the math. You'll get it. Hope that helps.

• Members

Very many thanks for the time and effort taken.Sorry I cannot re-pay the lost guitar time,you will just have to polish up the Brownie points badge instead.Not at all lazy by nature,I am a 65 year old trying to fumble my way around an alien techie world.The "instructions" sent out with my RP90 were appalling and assumed I had a degree in an obtuse languange and a left-field attitude.It was just a leaflet ,no book.Again thanks for the help,your halo can stay in place R.S.

• Members

No problem. Glad I could help. I actually have this in my string of pedals, as it has several great uses aside from "making cool noises." If set up the right way, it can be used to just add a single effect to your guitar, for example: no other effects besides delay. You want echo--go to whichever # you put in as only echo. You still get your "normal amp and guitar sound" with some digital delay goodness.

Also, I use it as a clean boost with one of my settings. Just screams bright and loud, but doesn't take away from the guitar's tonality.

While waiting to buy a tele I've been whining about forever, I actually managed to get a decent copy sound from this pedal out of a Les Paul.

As for the manual, I don't understand why yours didn't come with one. Should've had about a 40 page booklet that does a half-assed job of guiding you through it until you finally understand the thing; then suddenly the book seems to make a little more sense.

If not, you can go here:

ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/Manuals/RP70/RP70Manual18_0491_A.pdf

also, here is the main link : http://www.digitech.com/products/RP70/

As for repaying me: I've made up for the lost guitar time by getting up fifteen minutes early the next morning. Now I have to get that sleep time back somehow.... you owe me. ;)

Archived