Tremolo Pedals. Help me choose!!!

• Members

Well I've basically narrowed my tremolo choice down to these 4!

Semaphore Trem

Voodoo Labs Trem

Earthquaker Devices Hummingbird

Earthquaker Devices Pulse Machine

I'd buy the hummingbird in a heartbeat, but I don't think it does the subtle tremolo thing which I sorta think I'll use and need. The semaphore is a little pricey, but the best I've heard and does it all. The voodoo labs trem is a great all around trem and easy on the wallet. The pulse machine can do pretty much everything, but I don't know if it can do the choppier stuff.

If anyone can describe these pedals and give me some basic info on them, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

• Members

You might want to consider the following as well:

Catalinbread Valcoder (stripped down version of Semaphore)
Red Witch Pentavocal Trem (very versatile)
Dano Tuna Melt (warm, inexpensive, tiny)

• Members

I'd say Earthquaker is a safe choice. Either one of their Trems should do you good.

That being said, I just recently built an "Improved EA Tremolo" kit from GeneralGuitarGadgets and it sounds wonderful. Just like an old Fender amp tremolo basically. I even have it wired so that the LED is flashing in sync with the speed setting of the tremolo. :)

• Members

ive had he pulse machine and the hummingbird.

you don't want the hummingbird because its real real choppy. its great at what it does but is not versatile.

the pulse machine is amazing. it also has a level knob so there is no volume drop. it can even boost the signal if need. i would go with that.

• Members

Sadly, I have to agree that the Dano Tuna Melt is great and inexpensive. I know they're cheap and plastic, but I'm guilty of having the vibrato, phaser, and tremelo. Simple, cheap, and effective. If it breaks (which I've had mine for 3 years with no problems) they are quick to replace. Not my first choice, but quick and easy.

• Members
Sadly, I have to agree that the Dano Tuna Melt is great and inexpensive. I know they're cheap and plastic, but I'm guilty of having the vibrato, phaser, and tremelo. Simple, cheap, and effective. If it breaks (which I've had mine for 3 years with no problems) they are quick to replace. Not my first choice, but quick and easy.

If you have to go cheap because you can't afford anything else, then do what you gotta do, but in my experience, almost every time I went with a cheaper substitute, I ended up getting the nicer/more expensive one down the line and it would have saved me money to just buy what I wanted instead of trying to settle for less.

Damnit, now you got ME wanting the Pulse Machine... :)

Archived