JamVox

• Members

Got this in my RSS reader today. Vox are releasing some sort of Guitar Rig-like thingie. You get a "monitor speaker" that you plug to your computer and then you plug your guitar into this and have a few amp models (semm to be from valvetronix) and effect pedals to choose from on the screen.

jamvox_front_small.jpg

jamvox_screen_small.jpg

Then it also says that you can load MP3 files and have their guitar track removed. Now I don't believe a word they say about the removed-guitar-track-thingie but the rest does look pretty cool, doesn't it? Not sure if it'll sound better than for example GuitarRig or not but it could be a nice tool for home recording and such.

List price? I'm thinking very expensive.

http://www.voxamps.co.uk/jamvox/#

• Members

It won't be expensive. This is clearly aimed at the beginner guitarist and would make no sense to be expensive. It's not far removed from the Zoom s2t (http://www.bananasmusic.com/productdetail.asp/pid_11921/productname_Zoom-S2t-ZFX-Modeling-Software-Stack-Package).

The back of that Vox monitor interface has a connection for a footswitch and an expression pedal and the website says "Use an optional expression pedal and foot switch to control the effects with your foot". That sounds interesting if you could assign that pedal to a specific pedal function of your choice. No MIDI connections so you couldn't add in something like a Behringer FCB1010.

• Members

i have a pinoeer one. 2500$ professinal one and i guess its better than this crap

$2,500 vs a couple of hundred dollars...Yeah, I see how you made that comparison.

If it harnesses the new Mellowdyne technology, there's no reason why you souldn't be able to remove the guitar tracks from a song.

• Members

If it harnesses the new Mellowdyne technology, there's no reason why you souldn't be able to remove the guitar tracks from a song.

Wouldn't it need to know which tones to remove though? If it doesn't know what the guitar plays, how would it know what to remove?

• Members

Nah, I don't think it'll go for the Melodyne route. One of the coolest things I heard was a demo from an audio DAW, quite possibly the Otari RADAR system. The demo had a piece of music with a car horn audible on the track. It then went through the processes to pull that car horn out of the track without disturbing the music. Quite incredible.

How Vox describe the software for pulling out the guitar track:

music player of the JamVOX Software features KORG's newly developed GXT (Guitar XTracktion) technology that allows a guitar part of an existing song to be cancelled or extracted --- a capability that will change the way guitarists of all levels and styles practice, play and jam. This technology is not a conventional vocal canceller which counteracts the center sounds by the reversed-phase signals. This conventional method turns the sound mono and also makes it impossible to extract the desired sound. GXT technology uses a completely different method in which the sound is analyzed by "stereotactic position" and "frequency band" spatially, and an adjustable filter is used to create the cancellation effect. This means that the song can be kept its stereo image and the desired sound can also be extracted. Using this, you can replace the guitarist in your favorite band and play the guitar part yourself! You can also record your performance along with the original song simply by pressing the Record button.

So it looks at specific frequencies within a band set by the filter, a bit more jiggerypokery and et voila. Bass won't be affected as it's low frequency, vocals and hi-hats will be higher frequencies... I'd guess something like that.

• 4 months later...

Archived