Preventing Bathroom Echo during spacious chorus effects

petejt

• Members

I'm finding it rather difficult trying to minimise that horrid annoying "bathroom echo" when using my Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay. The chorus is sweet, but there's still this wierd "bathroom echo", like a sharp stuttering fast slap-back delay. I don't like it at all because it affects the definition and articulation of the notes by muddying them up, and, sounds bad.

It's like the vocal effect on George Michael's voice on I want your Sex...... *shudders*

I'm sure it's how I am using it. How do I get the most of the swirl from this unit without that "bathroom echo"?

• Members
I see the problem here, you're using Chorus!

Only joking. Is there a pre-delay parameter anywhere? That will give you the short delay sound youre getting. Maybe there's nothing you can do about it.

lol you prick :lol:

I don't really know if it has a "pre-delay parameter". It has a sweep speed slider control, which I set anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2, a Long/Short delay switch, which I set to "Long Chorus", set to Wide Stereo, and "Subtle".

Here's a (bad) pic from the Internet. I need to take a photo of my own though.

chorus-delay.jpg

In fact there's another problem too- the processed sound is bleeding into the Direct Output.

• Members
lol you prick
:lol:

I don't really know if it has a "pre-delay parameter". It has a sweep speed slider control, which I set anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2, a Long/Short delay switch, which I set to "Long Chorus", set to Wide Stereo, and "Subtle".

Here's a (bad) pic from the Internet. I need to take a photo of my own though.

chorus-delay.jpg

In fact there's another problem too- the processed sound is bleeding into the Direct Output.

Set it to short delay. Long delay time means more noticeable delay.

• Members

I'm finding it rather difficult trying to minimise that horrid annoying "bathroom echo" when using my Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay. The chorus is sweet, but there's still this wierd "bathroom echo", like a sharp stuttering fast slap-back delay. I don't like it at all because it affects the definition and articulation of the notes by muddying them up, and, sounds bad.

It's like the vocal effect on George Michael's voice on
*shudders*

I'm sure it's how I am using it. How do I get the most of the
swirl
from this unit without that "bathroom echo"?

See if you can set the pre delay time as short a possible... if that doesn't do it for you...

An inexpensive alternative unit I HIGHLY recommend you find is:

Rocktron Intellifex, or Replifex (Intellifex is preferred)

Yamaha SPX90, SPX90II or SPX900

Roland DEP5

Pedals are numerable:

Boss CE2

Arion SCH-1 (Grey label Japan version)

TC Electronic SCF-1

Favorite Rack answers:

TC Electronic 1210, 2290

Eventide (There are lots to choose from)

Dytronics Tri-Stereo Chorus

• Members
Switch the George Michael switch off.
;)

Record something and post it, let's hear what your problem is.

I'll shoot a video on the weekend. Actually maybe I should just buy a microphone instead and do a proper recording :) .

I was playing my guitar last night and mucked around a bit more. The "bathroom" echo didn't seem as bad, yet I didn't use the other output (although it was plugged in).

Here's some better pics.

2ro6hjt.jpg

jb4r69.jpg

• Members
See if you can set the pre delay time as short a possible... if that doesn't do it for you...

TC Electronic SCF-1...

But I got that already!

2dhh1z5.jpg

Sounds good too! :cool: I dunno what it is, but now it is working great for me. I use it in stereo in front of my two valve amps, wonderful for cleans and distortion too. In fact it's really cool for some slight modulation on dirty-clean tones :love: .

But still I have this Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay and want it to be working well too. I have a bad feeling it's just user err:or...

• Members

i have two rockman sustainor preamps my experience with these says to me try tweaking each slider and button till the undesired noise goes away. Im also curious that you have it set for line level and not gtr level.

It's set for line level because it's in the effects loop of the MarkIV.

• Members
But I got that already!

2dhh1z5.jpg

Sounds good too!
:cool:
I dunno what it is, but now it is working great for me. I use it in stereo in front of my two valve amps, wonderful for cleans and distortion too. In fact it's really cool for some slight modulation on dirty-clean tones
:love:

But still I have this Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay and want it to be working well too. I have a bad feeling it's just user err:or...

I see your problem your amp is to small get something bigger than that Marshall MS-2R :lol: :poke: :cop:

• Members

I see your problem your amp is to small get something bigger than that Marshall MS-2R
:lol:
:poke:
:cop:

lol

That was just lying on the floor at the time, I was goofing around slaving that into the Engl Fireball head.

Here's the full rig (still a work in progress). I'm borrowing the Marshall cab until I put my own Marshall cab back together (which you can see in pieces on the side). I'm borrowing his Park amp for the processed output of the Rockman Chorus as explained earlier, and it just out of frame.

2i06qep.jpg

• Members

Back off the mix ??? Not familiare with the unit mentioned but thats' where I would start .

I'll try that again but I think I still get the bathroom echo stutter even when the mix is set to subtle.

• Members

I think I may have resolved the problem.

I think the unit has to be set on Wide & Stereo to get all the processed signal through the Processed Output, and dry signal through the Direct Output. Otherwise both signals get mixed to varying degrees.

Also I adjusted the delay settings so they'd have as minimal impact on the sound as possible.

Archived