No more haggling at guitar center?

tb_308

• Members

I've been searching around online and I ran across an article about Guitar Center being bought out and invoking a "Integrity Pricing" policy or something like that.. basically it means: ticket price is THE price.

Truth? Rumor? I want to pick up a Sparkle Drive and a DD7 this week and if this is the case, I might finally sign up for an ebay account...

• Members

so... is it a nationwide policy now? I've gotten so much stuff in guitar center, you'd think they have like a loyalty plan.. I won't even shop at sam ash (sorry..bad experiences)...

Don't know about nationwide.

But I already have to travel 1+ hour(s) to get to mine, so I'm not wasting the gas to check everywhere.

• Members

I asked one of the Platinum store guys about this and he said that it's getting rolled out in certain markets but not all. For example, in Edina (Minneapolis) you can still haggle, but some other stores have already switched to fixed pricing. I'd suggest calling the store before driving out if it's quite a distance.

• Members

the mark up value is so high on that {censored}, it makes me sick.

for example, i work at best buy, my discount is 5% above the cost of the item.

stuff like those monster HDMI cables, we sell for $150, i can get them for $30.

i feel really bad selling them to people.

• Members

That's a cool discount. When I worked at Staples we had employee appreciation day once a quarter and we got 10% off. Whoopee.

You can always tell the companies that aren't interested in retaining good help.

• Members

You shouldn't feel bad. Anyone who buys Monster Cables are getting ripped off. They are overrated, and sadly so many people have bought them, even though you can get just the same for a much lower price.

• Members

You shouldn't feel bad. Anyone who buys Monster Cables are getting ripped off. They are overrated, and sadly so many people have bought them, even though you can get just the same for a much lower price.

you are not right.

once you reach $100 the picture quality stays the same, you are then paying for the durability of the cable.

• Members

Even if you have good relationships with some of the main guys at your GC, you still won't get jack in your favor.

Exactly. A year ago I went in and got a good deal on an amp after a little haggling. Over the course of the last year I went back to him and bought a couple of smaller things. Recently I went in and wanted to buy a guitar. The guy I usually dealt with was busy behind the register with someone else. I had another salesman offer to help me but I said no, I'd rather wait for the guy who's helped me in the past. When the salesguy was finally free, I told him I had waited for him since he's hooked me up in the past. He seemed grateful. I had the guitar in my hands and told him I was ready to buy it but it was listed at 529 or 539 or something like that and it was more than I wanted to spend. I told him I'd buy it if he could do 500 on it. He said nope, best he could do was the price on the price tag. I just stood there thinking there was no way he was gonna let a repeat customer walk out of there over 30 bucks on a 500.00+ guitar. I put it back on the wall and walked out and will not be going back there to buy anything like a guitar or amp again. About all I'll buy there is strings, picks (although they don't even carry my picks anymore), and little {censored} like that unless they carry something that I must have and no one else carries it.

• Members

you are not right.

once you reach $100 the picture quality stays the same, you are then paying for the durability of the cable.

Actually he is right. an hdmi cable is digital. There is NO difference in picture quality over a digital cable between a 5 dollar cable or a 150.00 cable.

Analog cables like speaker cables are a different matter but monster cables are still WAAAAY overpriced.

• Members

you are not right.

That's my experience ... I bought one monster guitar cable when I was in college and it has literally outlasted dozens and dozens of cheaper cables. Absolutely no difference in sound (that I can hear) but damn if I can break it. I don't plan on buying any more ... but still.

• Members

In music retail this is true of some things and not true of others. I come from and MI background (store mgnt, & sales rep) Accessories is where the good margin is. However is you look at big ticket items like Roland for example, the mark up isn't as good as you'd think. If we were making 30 points on something we felt good....

to get back to the OP question, when i was still reping (about 2 yrs ago) the guys at the GC's that i dealt with were telling me they were going to "min price" policy, they could only discount down to what the minumum price was.. after that they woudl have to get a mgr's approval... not sure what the reasoning is behind it. Maybe they figured some guys were abusing it and loosing money

I agree however it was nice to get a "buddy" discount for your loyalty...

• Members

to get back to the OP question, when i was still reping (about 2 yrs ago) the guys at the GC's that i dealt with were telling me they were going to "min price" policy, they could only discount down to what the minumum price was.. after that they woudl have to get a mgr's approval... not sure what the reasoning is behind it. Maybe they figured some guys were abusing it and loosing money

I agree however it was nice to get a "buddy" discount for your loyalty...

yeah but the min price was still below the marked price. Now the min price and the marked price are the same and if they want to go below the marked price they have to get a special dispensation from the pope.

• Members

yeah but the min price was still below the marked price. Now the min price and the marked price are the same and if they want to go below the marked price they have to get a special dispensation from the pope.

I see.. that's changed and i agree it sucks and you probably have a better chance of meeting God then getting a mgr to mark something down

Archived