So I think I found The Amp!

inuitdream

• Members

I have been looking for a balanced tone that is somewhere between a fender and a marshall. something that when I push into overdrive would get me close to wilco's impossible germany solo. a nice chimey rhythm tone that is bassy but with a nice trebly jangle without any harshness. a single channel amp which can be overdriven by increasing the volume knob. an amp that takes pedals well.

this amp does it! they say that jimmy page used this amp on the led zep albums. but I can't seem to get it to that point of crunch. i dont know if its because of the small hole in the speaker or the old tubes.

but, I still like the clean sound of this amp and just plugging my tele straight into it.

DSC00277.jpg

• Members

Cool, I love vintage tube amps. They have to be taken care of though, which can be a bit of a pain. I've got one of these, a Sears Silvertone:

eastsilver1482.jpg

Pretty dark sounding amp, though I suspect it could use a recapping job and a new speaker. I plugged a treble booster pedal into it and it sounded gorgeous, makes the cleans sparkly and the dirty sounds - well, you'd have to hear it! Pure 6V6 tone in this one, like an old Tweed Deluxe. What tubes are in that Supro?

Maybe try a boost pedal if you want to get more crunch.

• Members

Cool, I love vintage tube amps. They have to be taken care of though, which can be a bit of a pain. I've got one of these, a Sears Silvertone:

eastsilver1482.jpg

Pretty dark sounding amp, though I suspect it could use a recapping job and a new speaker. I plugged a treble booster pedal into it and it sounded gorgeous, makes the cleans sparkly and the dirty sounds - well, you'd have to hear it! Pure 6V6 tone in this one, like an old Tweed Deluxe. What tubes are in that Supro?

i think there are a pair of 6L6 and 2 12AX7. I love vintage amps too. any suggestions on how I can get my supro to sound like it is supposed to?

• Members

i think there are a pair of 6L6 and 2 12AX7. I love vintage amps too. any suggestions on how I can get my supro to sound like it is supposed to?

Well, the speculation about what Jimmy Page used is pretty silly. There's a lot of myths out there. If it sounds good, chances are it's working fine, and probably doesn't need new tubes. I can't see new tubes adding more grit, unless you put 6V6's in it. Or a clean boost can do wonders. What model is it?

• Members

Nice amp score:thu:

I have been on a bit of an amp hunt lately as well. I picked up a '63 Gibson Falcon and am watching my doorstep for a '65 Gibson Ranger that I won on Ebay a few days ago. If you are looking for cool sounding amps that are not in the Fender/Vox camp these old Gibsons are incredible sounding and can be found for under $400:wave:

• Members

Well, the speculation about what Jimmy Page used is pretty silly. There's a lot of myths out there. If it sounds good, chances are it's working fine, and probably doesn't need new tubes. I can't see new tubes adding more grit, unless you put 6V6's in it. Or a clean boost can do wonders. What model is it?

The Supro is pretty well documented. His was a Thunderbolt, iirc, but I could be wrong about that, as I haven't read about it in a while.

There are a lot of myths out there, but that is almost certainly not one of them.

And, OP, VERY cool score. Maybe try a Tonebender MkII clone of some sort. Page used one of those early on, some, too.:idk:

• Members

eastsilver1482.jpg

Jack White has got the head version of that. I would be weary of changing anything seeing as they are so rare.

• Members

Jack White has got the head version of that. I would be weary of changing anything seeing as they are so rare.

They're rare?

Anyway, a cap job is pretty much a fact of life with a vintage amp. Any amp, really. And speaker changes don't hurt the originality, as it's a totally reversable "mod".

• Members

Which Lonestar are you getting? I miss my Lonestar Special, it was one sweet sounding amp.

The classic. I want a special for those EL-84s. I just found a good deal on the classic, so I jumped on it. It's not going to be a bad amp or anything, just kinda looking for a bit less headroom. At least it's got a master volume and channel switching! Really looking forward to it.

• Members

Nice amp score:thu:

I have been on a bit of an amp hunt lately as well. I picked up a '63 Gibson Falcon and am watching my doorstep for a '65 Gibson Ranger that I won on Ebay a few days ago. If you are looking for cool sounding amps that are not in the Fender/Vox camp these old Gibsons are incredible sounding and can be found for under $400:wave:

cool, I will be on the lookout for those gibson amps. i had someone offer me a gibson GA15, it sounded alright. but not really my cup of tea. do those old gibsons sound like that? any sound clips?

• Members

The Supro is pretty well documented. His was a Thunderbolt, iirc, but I could be wrong about that, as I haven't read about it in a while.

There are a lot of myths out there, but that is almost certainly not one of them.

And, OP, VERY cool score. Maybe try a Tonebender MkII clone of some sort. Page used one of those early on, some, too.
:idk:

yeah, i will try that. i used a monsterpiece classic fuzz into it, and it was awesome. creamy tone! have yet to score a decent mkII though.

• Members

Yeah, there are Silvertones all over ebay. They're probably one of the most common non-fender amps from that era. But prices seem to be going up recently, or I'd be tempted to snag a second one. Partly due to the aforementioned Jack White!
:mad:

Yeah, I remember like, 5 years ago, you could get the combo for $125 in great shape, and the head for $220. Damn Jack White. I nearly got the combo like 5 times. You also use to be able to get the rebadged vintage Super Fuzz's, Fuzz Tones, and Shen Ei Companions for like $10 then too. Now people know better.

Archived