Basic Multi-effects Processor Question

jamesnb

• Members

I'm just starting out and am looking for a beginner setup. If I buy a multi-effects processor (like a Digi-Tech RP250 or Line 6 Pocket POD), can I just plug a guitar and some headphones in and practice without using an amp?

I like the idea of lots of effect options and not disturbing the whole house. I also like the idea of being able to pipe in songs in MP3 format to play along with.

I'm not interested in playing gigs or anything, just keeping costs down and having fun learning practicing. I can pick up an amp later if I end up sticking with it.

Thanks

I'm just starting out and am looking for a beginner setup. If I buy a multi-effects processor (like a Digi-Tech RP250 or Line 6 Pocket POD), can I just plug a guitar and some headphones in and practice without using an amp?

Yes you can. :)

I like the idea of lots of effect options and not disturbing the whole house. I also like the idea of being able to pipe in songs in MP3 format to play along with.

As long as the unit has a line (or "CD") input jack, you can play music from a iPod or similar device INTO the unit, and play along with that, while hearing both the processed guitar and the MP3 simultaneously.

If there is a guitar multi-effect / modeler with the ability to load MP3's into internal memory and play it back without a external playback unit, I am not aware of it. There are some units that have been able to function as a modeler and a multitrack recorder, but I can't recall ever seeing an MP3 player in a modeler.

I'm not interested in playing gigs or anything, just keeping costs down and having fun learning practicing. I can pick up an amp later if I end up sticking with it.

Thanks

You're welcome. :)

What you'd need:

1. Electric guitar and 1/4" to 1/4" cable ("guitar cable")

2. Pocket POD or similar amp / effects unit.

3. iPod or similar playback device, loaded with MP3's, or computer with 1/8" audio output.

4. 1/8" male TRS to 1/8" male TRS cable to plug iPod into POD.

5. Headphones (the iPod headphones would work fine).

Plug the guitar into the input on the POD, connect the iPod to the CD input on the POD, and the headphones into the headphone output on the POD, and you should be good to go. :)

• Members

Thanks

That's the way to go man. Good onya, good luck, and enjoy it. :thu::cool:

• Members

Wow. Lots of feedback. Thanks, just what I was looking for. I tried to play back in high school 25 years ago but in the words of Bart Simpson "I tried to play guitar but I wasn't good at it right away so I gave up". It seems the equipment has improved. My attitude and dedication has and hopefully my playing will. I can't wait to get strumming again.

Archived