OT: Reccomend me some music...win a prize!

kriista

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Anyways, Deltron 3030, the self-titled, is what most fits your description, I think. Longer tunes, mid-tempo "groovy" beats, few choruses, complex, and at times completely abstract lyrics. I find something like Ghostface or Jay-z more enjoyable all around, though, which is why I recommended them. All around more...musical?

Also, you might dig K-os, a Canadian rapper who is back and forth between world beat and raw, classic hip hop stuff. I'm not sure how well he's known outside of Canada...probably not very well at all.

• Members

I like Del just fine, but his stuff isn't exactly groundbreaking. It's good music just to sit back to. However, I do prefer Hieroglyphics (his group) to his solo work. Third Eye Vision has much better beats, and the flows are a little smoother too.

By the way, Deltron 3030 is fine, but I like Future Development a little bit more.

• Members

Themselves might be something to look at. Their first album (Them) is probably one of the best indie hip hop albums out there for the west coast crowd. Everything Doseone and Jel do tends to take multiple listens to "get" which either annoys or interests you.

It doesn't hurt that Doseone might be one of the best rappers out there not sucking dick to get onto MTV (I'm looking at you Aesop Rock).

Latyrx is another late 90s' group that gets overlooked. DJ Shadow handles some of the production and his handpicked beats flow really well with Lyrics Born's bluesy swagger. A classic album that came out of nowhere. Lyrics Born has gone on to become an overproduced Black Eyed Peas wannabe but at least we still have Latyrx.

Madvillainy by Madvillain is something you should also check out. MF Doom before he got too commercial and Madlib throwing down some great '70s samples over modern drums. Another album that came out of left field, I consider it one of those albums that if you can't appreciate, then you don't really get music.

Buck 65 is probably just as controversial as the other groups I've listed, if not more. A white Canadian hipster who at one point was titled as "the man who is saving hip hop". Embarrassing to watch live but endlessly enjoyable with no one around.

• Members

Guru (of Gang Starr fame) had "Jazzamatazz", which was a project essentially conceived as a way to marry hip-hop and jazz while trying to explore new ground. Here's a wiki on the first album, which is really good:

Perhaps a bit more obvious, but the Roots' "Do You Want More?!" is a fave of mine particularly for the upright bass (ala Tribe), and it feels a bit more organic to me than their later work.

Another classic is De La Soul's "3 Feet and Rising", which has the old-school flow, but the music production by Prince Paul takes it to another level, IMO.

Maybe even more obvious, but there's work from guys like DJ Shadow ("Endtroducing" is a classic), Tricky, Squarepusher, and Kid Koala that are also great music, if not really containing the typical rap vocals. Of course, that's on the edge of being called electronic music or whatever, but still, there are some elements of hip-hop.

Funny - Guru was my first thought.

MC 900 Ft. Jesus also comes to mind. He was (is) a musician's musician and released 3 really great records - Got more and more into Miles Davis' 70's kind of stuff as he went on.

Don't hear too much about him anymore. His stuff was really hip-hop for the thinking crowd - A musician first - Great stuff that holds up really well 15 years on...

(full credit to the Ill Mitch ref. - nice.)

• Members

I don't know if it fits your criteria, but Kool Keith did an album as Dr Octagon called Dr. Octagonecologyst that is hilarious, trippy and inspired. It has completely insane, filthy flow and amazing production by Dan The Automator. If you haven't heard it and you're looking for something different you need to hear this. :thu:

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-Octagonecologyst-Octagon/dp/B000005AM7/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1214056600&sr=8-1

• Members

Ok, sat down with pen and paper and made a big list and youtubed a whole mess of stuff, and so far the closest things I've heard are:

Busdriver

Themselves

Both still 'groove' (not what I'm looking for), but they have something different. If nothing else pops up, I'll award a prize based on what was recommended.

• Members

my favorite Hip_hop band (after public enemy/terminator x solo)..

M-FLO!

Japan Born Korean National VERBAL educated in the US. Flips between Enlglish and Japanese very fluidly, has a great sense a humor and mixes all kinds of music (their last record has Baile Funk, 90's Rave, retro hiphop, and sometimes all in the same song!) Never cliche at all. Awesome. They always have other Asian Rappers and artists from outside Japan doing duets. Very cool family vibe...

[YOUTUBE]7f3DvzCUV-0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]M3KxyaVeIg0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]u7q1gKQ08tc[/YOUTUBE]

miss you, live. trippy live version.

Archived