OT: Reccomend me some music...win a prize!

kriista

• Members

First, the prize can range from a CD or 2 (not CDRs) to a Boss Hyper-Fuzz, depending if your reccomendation meets the criteria, and what I can find that I'm not using. (also keep in mind that I'm shipping from the UK, so UK people can get larger/heavier items)

What I'm looking for:

I like hiphop music, but all the hiphop I hear is kinda (or very)...boring. I have to imagine that there is some hiphop that has progressed much in the way that jazz has progressed.

In other words, I'm looking to fill-in this analogy:

John Zorn is to Jazz, what BLANK is to Hip-Hop.

I know that after a genre goes too far from what defines it, it's no longer that genre, but I've been able to find/follow where all the genres I like have gone.. ie: post-rock, avant-jazz etc...

So, reccomend me some experimenta/avant hip-hop and win a prize!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Guru (of Gang Starr fame) had "Jazzamatazz", which was a project essentially conceived as a way to marry hip-hop and jazz while trying to explore new ground. Here's a wiki on the first album, which is really good: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazzmatazz%2C_Vol._1

Perhaps a bit more obvious, but the Roots' "Do You Want More?!" is a fave of mine particularly for the upright bass (ala Tribe), and it feels a bit more organic to me than their later work.

Another classic is De La Soul's "3 Feet and Rising", which has the old-school flow, but the music production by Prince Paul takes it to another level, IMO.

Maybe even more obvious, but there's work from guys like DJ Shadow ("Endtroducing" is a classic), Tricky, Squarepusher, and Kid Koala that are also great music, if not really containing the typical rap vocals. Of course, that's on the edge of being called electronic music or whatever, but still, there are some elements of hip-hop.

• Members

This may seem a little too far away from the genre, but have you ever heard of the Gorillaz? Their newest album delves more in to alt. hip-hop, whereas the first and previous one was sort of a collection of different genres (compare 7. Punk to 9. Double Bass). This latest one, Demon Days, is more concise, focused, and on topic.

I like them. I even bought their CDs. For me, that says a lot. But don't just take my word for it. Go ahead and give 'em a listen.

• Members

Freaky Flow

I haven't heard it in a couple of years, but If I remember right, it brings hip-hop into drum and bass/ jungle. I liked it purely for the fact that it wasn't about the 'hook', therefore making the song a product to be consumed (as so much radio music is), but the flow. I really got a sense that the lyrics and the music were joined/playing off eachother, something I've always felt was lacking from hip-hop.

Might not be the john Zorn though, more like early be-bop: interesting, definitly taking things to new places (in a few different ways), but nothing mind blowing.

• Members

Guru is always good but I would recommend Aesop Rock for you. Very different style of beats and rapping. Minimalistic beats with stream of conscious lyrics usually focusing on the working class, Brooklyn, and anxiety.

I really love the albums "Labor Days" and "Float." The latter which gave me my favorite lyric of all time: "I float. When everyone around me's busy drowning, I float."

EDIT: Also, MF Doom, especially the Madvillainy album and anything Quasimoto is pretty out there.

• Members

The first Tortoise album takes a lot, I think, from hip hop. There's also Girl Talk, which isn't exactly hip hop either.

Deltron 3030 is a concept album about the post-apocalyptic year 3030. It's kind of cheesy but worth a listen.

It isn't really what you asked for, but I've been really into The Cool Kids lately. They're clearly influenced by old-school stuff, but also definitely doing their own thing. Check out the song Black Mags.

• Members

Some of the stuff seems promising. When I get home from work I'll start taking some listens to stuff.

Not too interested in the stuff that goes alt-hiphop as while it is pretty good, its not what I'm looking for.

Looking for more 'sit down and listen' kind of stuff, as apposed to throw it on the ipod kind of stuff, if that makes any sense.

• Members

Strangely, I'd go with Public Enemy's "Fear of a Black Planet". I know it's a classic, but it was also very innovative, the use of sampling sound collage was very "musique concrete", if you know what that means.

(oh, and using french words always make something more "avant-garde", n'est-ce pas?)

• Members

wu-tang clans "think differently" album

Anything with MF Doom:

Dangerdoom

Madvillian

Nostrodoomus (I think I spelled that right, its with Nas and mf doom.

Also check out anything by the roots, lots of jazzy stuff there.

• Members

Some interesting stuff so far. Nothing completely there but the things I've found interesting so far:

Kid Koala

Great jazz trumpet/turntable improv. Classy

Saul Williams

Sounded ok, a little slick, but downloading some to give it a better listen.

Boo Radley

Again, a little slick, but downloading to give a better listen.

Aesop Rock

Sounds promising, downloading some.

Things not into so far:

Roots, Gorillaz, Tribe, Del, Wu etc...

The classic hiphop stuff (roots, tribe, wu) are good, but not what I'm looking for here.

If I don't end up finding what I'm looking for I'll give whoever came closest the prize. As of right now it's looking like a tie between Holey Lint Trap and Crxshdxmmy.

• Members

Are you looking for something a little heavier? Like, live band {censored} or samples? Fishscale by Ghostface is probably one of the heaviest rap records I've heard in a while. Jay-Z's MTV unplugged with the Roots as his backing band is {censored}ing out of hand, and is easily the most impressive live hip hop I've ever heard, if not live music in general. It's also full of huge, awesome, catchy, fun, or sad hit songs.

So yah, on opposite ends of the spectrum, check Ghostface Killah's Fishscale, or Jay-Z Unplugged.

• Members

Not looking for heavy, or a band or anything like that.

Just something actually different going on in hip-hop. Something I can't sit back and nod my head to. Something that's not 3 minutes long with a chorus in it.

Archived