Euthymia Crucible Silicon demo

Loobster

• Members

Really beautiful playing. I want to hear more of your stuff! I think you're my favorite HCFX player. :thu:

Sounds like, true to the description on the Euthymia site, it's a bit fuzzier FF than my JH-F1 - I'd love to hear some playing into your HIWATT. Did you have it pegged & then roll back your volume or where you playing with the knobs on the pedal while you played?

• Members

Wow, thanks a lot man. :D

I started off with the fuzz control on zero then gradually increased it. There were times when I had the guitars volume turned down.

I haven't even heard it with the Hiwatt. :(

It needs revalving/recapping, so I'm taking it today up to the store (on the subway :() to have it taken in for service.

• Members

I expect they'll reset the bias...I've got Mullard/Brimar in mine (both power and pre) but the power amp tubes are pretty shot I think. The tech on the phone said he'll put JJ/Tesla in it. I dunno how much I subscribe to the 'only use Mullards' thing with Hiwatt. I'm sure Gilmour doesn't have them put in his every time he has them serviced.

Oh yeah, you might dig this - I did.

http://petecornish.co.uk/dghiwatthistory.html

• Members

I expect they'll reset the bias...I've got Mullard/Brimar in mine (both power and pre) but the power amp tubes are pretty shot I think. The tech on the phone said he'll put JJ/Tesla in it. I dunno how much I subscribe to the 'only use Mullards' thing with Hiwatt. I'm sure Gilmour doesn't have them put in his every time he has them serviced.

Oh yeah, you might dig this - I did.

Great pictures.

I'm going for some good used Mullards as they aren't THAT expensive vs. the price I paid for the amp & I have found that, at least with mine, it's fairly picky, esp. on v1. The few old US tubes I've got (GE & JAN Philips) sound much better than the current production tubes I tried (GT 12AX7M, Tung-Sol RI, Svetlana & 12AX7LPS) but I think it'll be well worth getting the tubes the circuit was designed around. Remember, Reeves was a tube engineer for Mullard before designing the HIWATT & from what I've read they're a pretty important part of 'the sound.'

Now, I haven't decided to mess with the bias resistor on mine, so I refuse to blow big dollars on NOS power tubes. I'd like to pick up a pair of NOS Teslas, but I've heard that the current production JJs can be harsh & thin which is something I'm working to balance w/ my amp, esp. as a Tele/Jag player. Had SED =C=s in mine that were making noise & low on volume (not to mention discolored from heat) when I got it & cheap Sovtek 'WAs in the pres. The GT EL34Ms are working out pretty well so far but I should probably at least measure them to see how hard they're being pushed. Not red plating at least and I seem to have virtually unlimited clean headroom. . .

Regardless, looking forward to feedback from the work you have done & more gut shots, of course!!!

• Members

Great pictures.

I'm going for some good used Mullards as they aren't THAT expensive vs. the price I paid for the amp & I have found that, at least with mine, it's fairly picky, esp. on v1. The few old US tubes I've got (GE & JAN Philips) sound much better than the current production tubes I tried (GT 12AX7M, Tung-Sol RI, Svetlana & 12AX7LPS) but I think it'll be well worth getting the tubes the circuit was designed around. Remember, Reeves was a tube engineer for Mullard before designing the HIWATT & from what I've read they're a pretty important part of 'the sound.'

Now, I haven't decided to mess with the bias resistor on mine, so I refuse to blow big dollars on NOS power tubes. I'd like to pick up a pair of NOS Teslas, but I've heard that the current production JJs can be harsh & thin which is something I'm working to balance w/ my amp, esp. as a Tele/Jag player. Had SED =C=s in mine that were making noise & low on volume (not to mention discolored from heat) when I got it & cheap Sovtek 'WAs in the pres. The GT EL34Ms are working out pretty well so far but I should probably at least measure them to see how hard they're being pushed. Not red plating at least and I seem to have virtually unlimited clean headroom. . .

Regardless, looking forward to feedback from the work you have done & more gut shots, of course!!!

Yup. I think he's putting JJ/Tesla in mine. I sure hope they're not thin as I use tele/strat exclusively. I will keep you posted.

• Members

That sounds great Loobster. I like it a bunch. How does it work with a wah, if you use one? I keep listening to the clips of the new MXR Classic 108 with the buffer for use with wah and what not, and it sounds good this way. I can't really get my Monsterpiece Classic sounding good with my Pic wah. But in any event, I liked your playing a lot, and that clip too.

Funny, I have been playing my Tele a lot more lately (had the pickups raised some) and it's funny now that I switch back to my strat, how mellow they seem compared to my Tele.

• Members

Thanks for the kind words man. I don't use a wah so consequently haven't tried it with one. I haven't even tried the fuzz with an amp, just into Garage Bands amp sims, so doubtless it sounds utterly different into a real amp.

I'm just about to buy a strat. Used teles exclusively for about 4 years now. I love the bite.

• Members

Thanks for the kind words man. I don't use a wah so consequently haven't tried it with one. I haven't even tried the fuzz with an amp, just into Garage Bands amp sims, so doubtless it sounds utterly different into a real amp.

I'm just about to buy a strat. Used teles exclusively for about 4 years now. I love the bite.

I've been a strat guy for a while, but since I've had my Tele adjusted properly, I dunno man, this one is really hard to put down now. I have 2 strats, a Jimmie Vaughan and a Classic 60s strat. I've actually thought about trading both of them in for a new '08 American Standard. I like the JV one a lot, the 60s I bought not long ago, and haven't bonded with it yet. But I do love a good strat. And I love having both.

Archived